6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 squeak in pillar between driver and passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 AM
nsayles3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 squeak in pillar between driver and passenger door

My 2012 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab has a squeak in the pillar between the driver and rear door. Or at least that is where it seems to be coming from. It gets better and worse but it's driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this issue? Any potentual fixes?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't stand rattles and squeaks. I hope you figure it out. If it's under warranty, take it in and let them figure it out.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by nsayles3
My 2012 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab has a squeak in the pillar between the driver and rear door. Or at least that is where it seems to be coming from. It gets better and worse but it's driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this issue? Any potentual fixes?
i too am annoyed with stuff like this. i would think it would be coming from the doors them selfs in this case. i had a small rattle that i fixed with some electrical tape wrapped around the black post where the drivers door latches when closed.. it fixed it so i had my dealer replace the door latch. there was just enough play in the original that it rattled. keep us posted

Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blapensee
i too am annoyed with stuff like this. i would think it would be coming from the doors them selfs in this case. i had a small rattle that i fixed with some electrical tape wrapped around the black post where the drivers door latches when closed.. it fixed it so i had my dealer replace the door latch. there was just enough play in the original that it rattled. keep us posted
Ditto here - that would shug the bit out of me....

It sounds like a classic case of needed door latch adjustment..

Old 11-11-2014, 09:04 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by nsayles3
Welcome to the forum, nsayles3! This sounds like a good puzzle for your dealership to solve. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 11-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same squeak periodically. I found that it seems to be worse when the workers at the car wash use the same rag wiping down the interior of the door posts as they used to 'armor all' other things. I have wiped down the post and around the doors and it seems to go away. It also doesn't seem to squeak at all when the truck is dirty. Or maybe I've just tuned the squeak out

Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM
dsladdict
Senior User
I purchased my 2011 brand new(nothing better than getting a truck with 20 miles on it at delivery!). I have had the same rattle in that area. Of course, I am out of the Bumper to Bumper warranty period by both years and milage. One of those things that I chose to not battle the dealer with. It is unfortunate because apart from that and the other large complaint I have is Microsoft Sync and its interaction with my phone. Sync is absolutely horrible! Very poorly supported, I would rather have nothing at all, seems that there may be a better solution out there soon(Apple Car Play...) but who knows. There also seems to be a lot of resonant vibration transmitted to various things in the cab due to the diesel.

I have wanted to pull the trim of of the pillar to see if I can locate the problem. It may be worth a trip to the dealer to have corrected.

Contrasting this truck with my previous one(2007 F350 6.0L, also purchased new...) It would seem that some of the problems were created in an effort to lighten the truck up, for instance, when closing the door on my 2011 I can watch the sheet metal deflect. That never occurred on my 2007. The door rattle is very annoying, and no it is not due to objects inside the truck.

At least the engine seems to be pretty solid! A+ on that front! Not having to guess when my head gaskets will fail again is a good thing. Transmission 2-3 shift flare and delayed shift into drive from park at times. Have to do some research on that front....

Off subject a little.... Sorry for rambling, If somebody finds a solution for the rattle apart from dropping it off at the dealer, please post.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by dsladdict
... Transmission 2-3 shift flare and delayed shift into drive from park at times. Have to do some research on that front...
Hi dsladdict,

Let me know if you do decide to get your dealership involved; I'll be able to investigate ways to help once your truck has been diagnosed. What's the current mileage on it?

Crystal

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

... It is unfortunate because apart from that and the other large complaint I have is Microsoft Sync and its interaction with my phone. Sync is absolutely horrible! Very poorly supported, I would rather have nothing at all, seems that there may be a better solution out there soon(Apple Car Play...) but who knows. ...
Hi, dsladdict -

I'm Crystals counterpart; I handle the SYNC portion of the vehicle.

Shoot me a PM with the details of your concerns. I'm happy to look into them and/or report your feedback.

Jaclyn

Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 PM
dsladdict
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi dsladdict,

Let me know if you do decide to get your dealership involved; I'll be able to investigate ways to help once your truck has been diagnosed. What's the current mileage on it?

Crystal
Hi Crystal, thank you for your response/concern! I have roughly 45,500 miles on my truck. I do intend to take it in soon. I will let you know how it goes.

John

Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM
dsladdict
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi, dsladdict -

I'm Crystals counterpart; I handle the SYNC portion of the vehicle.

Shoot me a PM with the details of your concerns. I'm happy to look into them and/or report your feedback.

Jaclyn
Hello Jaclyn, for whatever reason my old UN/PW did not work and I had to reestablish a new UN/PW. I am unable to PM until I post at least 3 more times and meet the 10 day requirement unless I can get an administrator to fix the issue.

due to the fact that this section is supposed to be about the 6.7L engine, I can either wait until that time has passed to PM you or post the issues in a more appropriate section to discuss there.

Thank You very much for your response!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:14 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hello Jaclyn, for whatever reason my old UN/PW did not work and I had to reestablish a new UN/PW. I am unable to PM until I post at least 3 more times and meet the 10 day requirement unless I can get an administrator to fix the issue.

due to the fact that this section is supposed to be about the 6.7L engine, I can either wait until that time has passed to PM you or post the issues in a more appropriate section to discuss there.

Thank You very much for your response!
Whichever way you prefer, dsladdict; I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Jaclyn

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
My 2012 250 had it and the 2013 350 platinum has it as well... I think it is a 'feature' of the ford's in that my decades old excursions and both superduties had the same thing...

has been back to the dealer 3 times and no joy...

My guess is that it is some kind of cable or hose that runs along the headliner above the door and is bouncing around...

Have already done the seatbelts so they don't rattle, but this door one is "bothersome"

Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Hi Crystal, thank you for your response/concern! I have roughly 45,500 miles on my truck. I do intend to take it in soon. I will let you know how it goes.

John
Good deal, John; I'll keep an eye out for your updates.

Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
My 2012 250 had it and the 2013 350 platinum has it as well... I think it is a 'feature' of the ford's in that my decades old excursions and both superduties had the same thing...

has been back to the dealer 3 times and no joy...
How many miles are on your truck, jdadamsjr? I'll do some looking around to see how I can help.

Crystal

Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Not sure as I'm not by it...
but let me look on the owners site for the last health report...

pic attached...

but does it matter how many miles if I've reported it to the dealer ?

oh, and thanks for prompting me to go look there...
what is a field service action ??? is that a recall ?

I just happened to look, why wouldn't we be notified of it ?

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 2012 squeak in pillar between driver and passenger door