1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Local HD e4od vs JW econo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM
darknight
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local HD e4od vs JW econo?

I'm in the middle of trying to sort my trans issues out, and wondering what anybody had for input. my stg 2 inj killed the e4od in it, but I got 7 months and 10k out of it! All I hear is JW or BTS. I've got everything I need for a zf5 swap minus front drive shaft, but can't pull the trigger on the swap. I hear too many pros about a built auto. I'm wondering if I need a full-blown "towmaster" from JW, or a BTS.. I talked to John and he said the Econo HD uses a 6.0 TC and is a good trans behind his 500hp truck, and is a good trans for someone who isn't an idiot behind the wheel.
I don't tow but 2-5 times a year, 3-8k lbs.. daily drive with the occasional b-out, or killing a gasser, you know the drill.
Anybody have an econo HD behind a stg 2 injected 7.3? Reports? I could manage the $3300 for the trans/shipping, but would that be patch compared to a full built BTS or towmaster? I could get the BTS, but if that's the case that I need it, I'll need to park the truck for a few months which i'd gladly do-I don't like having to do things twice!
Thanks!

BTW, truck is a 96, CCLB 4x4, Stg2 160/80, GH tunes, getting a T500 soon. Billet wheel on stock turbo. 3.55gears with 33"s

Last edited by darknight; 11-09-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: left out some info!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've heard good things about woods and bts transmissions. But since I can build my own I couldn't spend that kind of money for 1. So if your only wanting to do it once I'd say spend the money and have the piece of mind
of having a good trans

Just my thinking anyway

Good luck

Old 11-09-2014, 07:16 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Econo HD for the money. I have a thread I just did last week when I took my truck to him and got mine. It's a badass built trans. I don't have Stage 2s, but will have Stage 1s and tow fairly often right at 10k. If you saw the internals of the trans, you would have no doubts. Mine has been going great for over a week now. Feels like a new truck and he pulled a working E4OD out of my truck but it was on its last leg.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 PM
darknight
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Econo HD for the money. I have a thread I just did last week when I took my truck to him and got mine. It's a badass built trans. I don't have Stage 2s, but will have Stage 1s and tow fairly often right at 10k. If you saw the internals of the trans, you would have no doubts. Mine has been going great for over a week now. Feels like a new truck and he pulled a working E4OD out of my truck but it was on its last leg.
Great info! thank you! I'm going to search your threads..
I'm really tempted to go for the econo hd. I do have stg2's, but stock turbo, stock hpop and fuel.. What warranty did he imply over the standard 1yr that he gives with it?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:12 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by darknight
Great info! thank you! I'm going to search your threads.. I'm really tempted to go for the econo hd. I do have stg2's, but stock turbo, stock hpop and fuel.. What warranty did he imply over the standard 1yr that he gives with it?
He just said if something went wrong with anything that he would stand by it under normal use...aka no sled pulling

Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I got the tow master and he told me 3 yrs parts and labor and lifetime parts.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I sure feel this guys pain...want a bts or woods...can't afford it.have ability to build my own...hope I'm as good as I think I am or win the lottery lol

Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 PM
darknight
Senior User
He just said if something went wrong with anything that he would stand by it under normal use...aka no sled pulling
Nice! I don't hook to any sleds, just DD and hotrodding around town. If I go with an out-of-town trans, I just want something I won't have to worry about for a few good years. I tow a couple times a year.. under 8k #s. I won't have the supporting modifications to make over 400hp for awhile, I should be in the mid 300's next year. He told me over the phone that his 500hp truck has one and it does great racing around in the dunes. For 2900, It sounds like a great option. I would love a full-on BTS or tmaster, but $2k savings for the econo sounds great if it holds for a few solid years. Other priorities like wife, kid, school (I have 5 weeks till I have my Bachelor's!!) keep me from dropping that kind of dough. I can sell a couple toys and make a 2900 trans happen.. I really appreciate the feedback, been a rough week trying to figure out what I'm gunna do. I have a full 5spd swap minus front d shaft (even the clutch I need to return), but want to keep an auto.
I'll talk to Jwoods again this week, he was really pleasant to talk to over the phone, extremely helpful.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm sure a guy could put together a great trans on his own. The only thing is, you will not get the upgraded , modified parts that John makes. He also sells them to Brian at BTS.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
What Glenn said...and yeah the internals are pretty much the best on the market and they work. He's a good guy who knows his stuff. I'd do it again if I had to.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
darknight
Senior User
What Glenn said...and yeah the internals are pretty much the best on the market and they work. He's a good guy who knows his stuff. I'd do it again if I had to.
I see you're from Oceanside.. right north of SanD? I've been up to that beach once, 7 years ago.. Beautiful place, fun times.

Did John mention safe useable HP levels for the EconoHD?
I'm getting really excited with the idea that the econohd might be an option..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:14 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I see you're from Oceanside.. right north of SanD? I've been up to that beach once, 7 years ago.. Beautiful place, fun times.

Did John mention safe useable HP levels for the EconoHD?
I'm getting really excited with the idea that the econohd might be an option..
He didn't really mention HP other than his 600 HP pulling/race truck has this trans in it, BUT, he knows how to drive and not abuse it. I have been pulling trailers for a long time so I assured him I was not going to be romping in it at stop signs all day, every day. He said it can take some abuse, just not 500 HP of trying to twist the driveshaft out of it. If it were me, I'd be comfortable running 350-400 HP and towing, just not racing or sled pulling or something over 12k. I pull a 10k travel trailer and will be pulling a 4-horse Goose-neck pretty much 2-3 times a week. I would have no problem really getting into it going up a grade. The new trans already has much improved shifting and uses the power band much more efficiently and feels pretty strong. Hope this helps. I would do John's or BTS, but I chose John because he is 2 hours from me, I could drive it to him, get an education, and drive it home. I am confident you'd be pretty happy with it.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM
darknight
Senior User
He didn't really mention HP other than his 600 HP pulling/race truck has this trans in it, BUT, he knows how to drive and not abuse it. I have been pulling trailers for a long time so I assured him I was not going to be romping in it at stop signs all day, every day. He said it can take some abuse, just not 500 HP of trying to twist the driveshaft out of it. If it were me, I'd be comfortable running 350-400 HP and towing, just not racing or sled pulling or something over 12k. I pull a 10k travel trailer and will be pulling a 4-horse Goose-neck pretty much 2-3 times a week. I would have no problem really getting into it going up a grade. The new trans already has much improved shifting and uses the power band much more efficiently and feels pretty strong. Hope this helps. I would do John's or BTS, but I chose John because he is 2 hours from me, I could drive it to him, get an education, and drive it home. I am confident you'd be pretty happy with it.
By that I should be just fine. I won't be over 400 hp for a good year or more. It's my daily driver unloaded 99% of the time.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
By that I should be just fine. I won't be over 400 hp for a good year or more. It's my daily driver unloaded 99% of the time.
With that, I'd go for it with no worries

Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you guys probably get more seat time thn me; heck, im only home half the year but this thread is a perfect example of why I have a 5spd in this particular truck. I'm not dissing anybody's decision and we're all entitled to our desires but what a hastle it is worrying about that tranny when putting some power adders on. Clutches are so cheep and easy + now pedal feel can be better than stock.. ++ rev matched shifting and it's just like an auto.. In my old 97 cc I had hardly any mods, a superchip 1705, and a strait pipe, 3.55s and 35s. W/out the shift firmness of the programmer it was scary how mushy it shifted.. Granted I was way under geared...
That being said autos are very convenient, a good one can be pretty damn confidence inspiring, and if it's bulletproof than its bulletproof.. To me 3k is a lot of coin..
Anyhow good luck with your purchase, hope you end up getting a decent product!

Quick Reply: Local HD e4od vs JW econo?