HELP! - IPR/Failed Injector? Loss Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! - IPR/Failed Injector? Loss Oil Pressure

Hi,

I was on a long trip up north and the truck died at the side of the road (all was running fine with the exception of about 100miles into the trip, it started missing and then cleared itself up)
Long story short, had to leave truck with dealer and fly home, they concluded that the IPR was toast, so I ordered a new one and they installed and said good to go, but the truck was running rough and leaking some oil (Recommended compression test). I also replaced CPS before taking to dealer hoping that would fix my problem, it didn't.

I flew back and limped the truck home running rough and pissing oil from who knows where for the entire drive home. I am now home and have run a few tests with my software.

Injector buzz test shows:
p1278 cyl 8 - high to low side open
- (I can hear a difference in sound compared to all other buzz)

Injector Contribution Test:
p0281 - Cylinder 7 Contribution/Balance Fault
p0284 - Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault
p0541 - Manifold Intake Air Heater Circuit Low

It also got Cylinder 1 Contribution/balance fault on the first run of this test but went away after further tests.

Engine obviously running very rough
LPOP seems to have declined from what I am used to seeing, it seems to sit at about 15psi at an idle now, where before I am sure it was much higher. Also starting cold rev up RPM used to go 70psi now around 50psi.

No knocking (that I Can tell)
No sparkles in the oil

Exhaust smells VERY RICH, and dumps clouds of smoke during acceleration

Valve cover gaskets / wiring are very new (Engine only has about 30,000 miles on it)

Not sure where oil leak is coming from yet either.

7.3L Powerstroke
Hypermax Rods
Stage 3 Hyprid 235cc injectors
Comp Springs / 7/16 pushrods
H2E Modified Turbo
4" dual exhaust
Aftermarket HPOP (Cant remember which one)
Main girdle

New Fuel filter/pump (1000miles old)
DP Tuner
6 - Speed standard Trans

Cant think of anything else to provide you smart people with right now, but PLEASE any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
With all you've done to the engine, we're beyond the normal stuff here - we can't assume the head gasket is good, the UVCHs stayed put, the injector O-rings are good, the injector solenoids are sound, etc....

Step 1: Where's that leak coming from?
Step 2: Use the UVCH link in my signature and a multimeter to find out what's up with 8 and 7.
Step 3: Do a Cody test.

The forum recently had a situation like this where the internals on a reman injector gave out - dumping the ICP into the cylinder.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
With all you've done to the engine, we're beyond the normal stuff here - we can't assume the head gasket is good, the UVCHs stayed put, the injector O-rings are good, the injector solenoids are sound, etc....

Step 1: Where's that leak coming from?
Step 2: Use the UVCH link in my signature and a multimeter to find out what's up with 8 and 7.
Step 3: Do a Cody test.

The forum recently had a situation like this where the internals on a reman injector gave out - dumping the ICP into the cylinder.

I am assuming you meant to say "Can Assume those are good?" The head gaskets are the O-Ring head gasket set from Hypermax, head studs, main studs etc...

As for the leak, I really can't be sure yet, It only seems to start pushing out under load, and I am hesitant to push it much more as it may do more severe damage.

Do a cody test? (Codes?) just the ones I listed above and some others that are normally there because of the mods / disconnected stuff etc...

As for the injector taking out something? Can you please clarify what you mean? It took out the ICP? Could something in my IPR have taken out an injector? I'll do a multimeter test on the injectors and see whats up.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Actually, I do mean can not be sure of anything. Head gaskets rarely go out on a stock truck - but that snow globe gets a good shake when the heads have been redone. "Dumping ICP" means an internal injector leak will bleed your ICP pressure down, as will a bad injector O-ring. You have custom injectors, so anything can happen there (and has before). I'm not implying you hurt anything with your IPR repair.

A Cody test is where you take a rubber-tipped air nozzle and inject air into your HPOP fittings to each head and listen for leaks. Use a rag around the nozzle and the fitting, lest you like oil showers.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:14 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
Actually, I do mean can not be sure of anything. Head gaskets rarely go out on a stock truck - but that snow globe gets a good shake when the heads have been redone. "Dumping ICP" means an internal injector leak will bleed your ICP pressure down, as will a bad injector O-ring. You have custom injectors, so anything can happen there (and has before). I'm not implying you hurt anything with your IPR repair.

A Cody test is where you take a rubber-tipped air nozzle and inject air into your HPOP fittings to each head and listen for leaks. Use a rag around the nozzle and the fitting, lest you like oil showers.
Ok. For the CODY test, I am listening for leaking air likely INSIDE the cyls? And, where is the best fitting to crack into to push air in? Did I mention that cyl#8 is much quieter during the buzz test? the first contribution test showed cyls 1,7,8 all with balance codes, then cyl 1 code went away after it warmed up a few mins.

HPOP pressure is about 700psi on idle, and just over 1000 at higher rpm (no load).

Are there any other tests I could run with the AE software that might tell us more? I find it strange that all this happens when my IPR dies, is there some kind of connection here?

Old 11-09-2014, 02:23 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have all of the codes that you have and my cylinder cont test, and buzz test is normal. However, I recently replaced my IPR. Soon after, within 1000 miles, my HPOP started leaking into the valley and got progressively worse very quickly until I was losing a quart of oil every 200 miles. I parked it and replaced my HPOP. So, I do not know if the IPR commanded/demanded more pressure from the HPOP thus causing it to start leaking or what. I do not know how this system works. If someone who does will weigh in it will give some clarity for both of us.... Just letting you know that something similar has happened to someone else and maybe I shut it down before it got worse....

Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
You mentioned loss of oil pressure, this can happen if the HPOP is taking all your oil and putting it somewhere - like in a cylinder to make it smoke. I'm just trying to go through some simple tests to see if you have oil going bye-bye, as an alternative to the LPO system having a failure. This does not preclude further tests after you've done these easy ones. The HPOP hose needs to come of the fitting on each head with the HPOP hose removal tool. If you got this far with your engine, I'm assuming you have the tool. If not, my mistake.

The UVCH test in my link will confirm if you have a bad connection to #8.

One other test you can do is to look at the ICP and IPR (ICP DC) while idling. Just because you get to 700 or 1000 PSI doesn't mean the IPR isn't at an unusual value to get it there. At 700 PSI with idle, your IPR should be about 14%.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:54 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
You mentioned loss of oil pressure, this can happen if the HPOP is taking all your oil and putting it somewhere - like in a cylinder to make it smoke. I'm just trying to go through some simple tests to see if you have oil going bye-bye, as an alternative to the LPO system having a failure. This does not preclude further tests after you've done these easy ones. The HPOP hose needs to come of the fitting on each head with the HPOP hose removal tool. If you got this far with your engine, I'm assuming you have the tool. If not, my mistake.

The UVCH test in my link will confirm if you have a bad connection to #8.

One other test you can do is to look at the ICP and IPR (ICP DC) while idling. Just because you get to 700 or 1000 PSI doesn't mean the IPR isn't at an unusual value to get it there. At 700 PSI with idle, your IPR should be about 14%.

Ok,

All injectors test out around 3.2 - 3.4 Ohms. Cyl 8 starts at 4.5 and slowly drops down if you leave leads on.

Just ran contrib test after reconnecting wiring, and shows cyl 1, 7, 8 Balance fault again. Unscrewed oil filler and LOTS of blow by puffing along with the stutter of the engine (missing). Seems like quite a bit of pressure.
Same out of the passenger side tube that goes into the air intake from valve cover.

Also the IPR DC is 13-14% at 700-740psi.

Did injector buzz test again, shows cyl 8 high to low side open. also sounds much quieter than the others when cyl 8 buzz.

have a video if there is a way of sending it?

Old 11-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Blowby? Well... we need to stop right there. You may have a bad solenoid pack or connection to the solenoid, but blowby is hopefully a popped glowplug or really loose injector. The ICP reaching pressure with normal IPR plus the low oil LPO pressure implies neither of those "lucky" scenarios. It's time to remove the VCs and at least check if anything is out of place up top, then do a compression test if nothing stands out.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
Blowby? Well... we need to stop right there. You may have a bad solenoid pack or connection to the solenoid, but blowby is hopefully a popped glowplug or really loose injector. The ICP reaching pressure with normal IPR plus the low oil LPO pressure implies neither of those "lucky" scenarios. It's time to remove the VCs and at least check if anything is out of place up top, then do a compression test if nothing stands out.
Yup... Just what I thought from the beginning... Time to pull the engine again

This seems hardly worth the effort to do these engines up, this will be the 3rd "Mishap" I have had I didn't think there was any likelihood of low oil pressure being something simple, but hoped that there MIGHT be a chance...

Only thing I can think of is cracked block, as a spun bearing or something of that nature I would have expected to see particles in the oil (unless they are just hiding right now).

Last time, my oil filter kept unspinning and couldn't explain it. Finally decided to pull the engine and found the block was cracked from the mains to the cam, and had no bearings left in the camshaft, and had a bent crank with a broken main bolt.

Had hoped that putting all the good parts in this engine would actually get me some miles. Weird thing this time is that I wasn't even beating the truck up, and find it VERY strange that the IPR goes and all of this happens at the same time with no connection

Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Crud... I was really hoping it was something obvious up top. Your sig says 650 HP clutch... If that's what you're chasing with your 7.3L, that's a harsh (and expensive) prey.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM
fordzilla01
Senior User
Crud... I was really hoping it was something obvious up top. Your sig says 650 HP clutch... If that's what you're chasing with your 7.3L, that's a harsh (and expensive) prey.
I had the 450hp Southbend clutch and took it out pretty quickly after spiking almost 40psi. Based on everything I have read with guys with similar setups, I think this engine (when its not grenaded, should make around 500-550 without the NOS). I have removed the NOS quite some time ago now anyways.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:14 AM
fordzilla01
Senior User
UPDATE!

Well,

I yanked the engine and so far this is what I have found:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozi1gnuvq...1mfFef3Ga?dl=0

Any idea what would have caused this? Everything was fine before I stalled at the side of the road which replacement of the IPR corrected. I still have to take apart the bottom end to see whats going on there to cause the lower oil pressure. (Not sure how to upload photos, so posted this link. If this is incorrect, please let me know)

Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that cylinder sleeved?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM
fordzilla01
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordzilla01
Well,

I yanked the engine and so far this is what I have found:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozi1gnuvq...1mfFef3Ga?dl=0

Any idea what would have caused this? Everything was fine before I stalled at the side of the road which replacement of the IPR corrected. I still have to take apart the bottom end to see whats going on there to cause the lower oil pressure. (Not sure how to upload photos, so posted this link. If this is incorrect, please let me know)
Nope, but assuming this is the only MAJOR block problem I guess it will be soon... :-)

Quick Reply: HELP! - IPR/Failed Injector? Loss Oil Pressure