Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New post

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
New post

Just wondering, when I reply and hit quick reply it doesn't show it on the post like it use to. Is it me, or is it happening to everybuddy? thanks,

Chet

Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Well let's give a whirl. This is a Post Quick Reply.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This one's a quick reply.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
It's just you I guess

Old 11-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by petrokiller
It's just you I guess
No, different moderators have been having probs with sigs, pics, quick reply, double spacing, and editing posts.

Chet, what problem are you experiencing exactly?

Stewart

Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I almost always hit quick reply. At the very least, I start every post in quick reply and if I have to, go to advanced once I am in the body of the post.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
{cracking knuckles} Where to begin.

While many here have Google Chrome, I still use Internet Explorer as a primary - for various valid reasons on a work laptop that I take home. I have Google Chrome as well, so I have compared how the two behave on the same computer. I also use a netbook (IE), an iPhone (mobile site on Safari), and an Android (mobile site on Chrome).

Google Chrome has a better relationship with the forum than IE does, but that's not to say it isn't rocky. There's not a lot that can go wrong with the mobile site - it's so simple. So... anyone out there using Internet Explorer is most likely having issues - and plenty of 'em.

It all started when the forum went to the new look and forgot to set something up for dealing with our albums and inserting photos. Just when things started to settle down, they went back to an old editing format where there is a button in the upper-right corner of the editing window - just above the smiley collection. Pressing this button allows you to flip back and forth between code view and normal view. I like code view because I'm a control freak. This is where many who know of my OBDII fetish go "duh".

As soon as that code view button was available (it was there a long time ago, then it was gone, and then it was back, and it's gone as of right now), all hell broke loose with IE. I edit a lot, and I never quick reply. I have to copy my text as I type, in case I need to recover my text - losing paragraphs is aggravating.
  • Inserting a photo was like Russian Roulette. Sometimes it inserted your photo just fine, sometimes it killed your text after you inserted, sometimes the page sat like an idiot, waiting for the image menu to load before being able to go to your albums. One of my favorites was the selecting of the same photo two or three times with one click.
  • Inserting a photo ALWAYS put the photo in the beginning of the post, so I had to go to code mode to put it where it belonged in the page. This act would sometimes lose my text.
  • I needed to edit posts the last couple of days, and hitting the edit button gave me a whole new display I never saw before - a blue window with my original text gone. Refreshing the page gave me the normal edit window with my text where it belongs.
  • Page load errors, many page load errors. This is the one that tags Chrome and IE without favoritism.

I see these guys endlessly changing things on the forum, so I just figure I'll come back when they jiggled the handle just right - this place is so unstable. I am encouraged by the disappearance of the code view button, things were really rockin' until that showed up. I prefer code view, but I like a stable forum experience even more.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
This is a quick reply,

let's try and enter an Album picture,

after three lines of double-spaced text:

PA021457

Old 11-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ctubutis
This is a quick reply,

let's try and enter an Album picture,

after three lines of double-spaced text:

Looking at your sig, I wonder if you're using IE, Chrome, or something else.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:18 AM
ctubutis
Firefox 33.0.3 on Linux Gnome

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 AM
ctubutis
To my knowledge, that "code view" button has been available in the top-right corner of the Advanced editor for close to 10 years now. It was only within the past two or so years when the Quick Reply window was replaced with one that included a limited subset of the features available on the Advanced menu - which includes that top-right code view/rendered toggle button.

Chrome doesn't like to display that button (at least from what I've seen) but IIRC there's an additional button added in the row of buttons above the text window - the one with the font attributes and image-insertion tool.

Yes, the Albums have gone through a major overhaul this past year, and yes, the Album-display and image-insertion stuff wasn't initially part of the new theme, but it got added a few months later.

There are still some bugs with the Albums but they'll be worked out over time.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The code view button disappeared on me for a couple of months - maybe IE behaves differently from your Firefox. I know that when it reappeared, the site became far less stable on IE.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Firefox here no problems in either quick reply or advanced.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I never thought I'd get so many reply's. Glad I did. It seems to be working now but I was having the problem of replying to a post then hitting, Post Quick Reply, and all that I wanted to say was gone. I'm really not that good on these computors but I manage to get around a little. It was like I was blocked, and I know I hadn't been so was asking if it was happening to others.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Well it just happen again. I replied to this thread, hit Post Quick Reply, it went away. Lets see if this works.