General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Police abusing their powers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:10 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was driving through the middle of town today about 100 feet to a stop light. About 100 feet behind me I saw blue flashing lights of a cop, there was no one between him and I so I pulled over. It was a small two lane street. While he was passing me he shut his lights off. Then he pulled up to the (at the time red) light in the left lane to make a left turn. I was about 20 feet behind him at the light. He was the first one in line, nobody behind him, I was in the lane to go straight. He desides to turn on his lights and make a left turn on red. He starts going and I see an SUV coming straight for him and almost slammed into him, what a bone-head. He turned his lights on and off from when I saw him behind me, until he made the turn about 3 times. I've seen cops in my town turn their lights on just to get by traffic or get through a stoplight and turn them off as soon as he gets through just so he doesn't have to wait. Whats the deal with this, any cops do this in your area?

Second thing, I saw two cop cars talking to eachother while i was making a turn. One cop took off infront of me. The speed limit for the road is 30mph. I was behind the cop going as fast as he was, and he went about 40-45mph the whole length of the road (about .5 mile). I was wishing he'd pull me over for speeding when he was doing the same thing! Gees whats with cops around my town.

I got pulled over last year for a minor incident and the cop gave me the biggest attitude like he was above me and I was scum. I was nothing but polite to him, it was the first time i've ever gotten pulled over. My dad and mom were driving together and got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. He gave both of them a 25 dollar ticket, even though my mom wasn't driving, and gave them an attiude too. They were different cops. I've really lost my respect for cops in my town. My town is about 14 square miles with 25,000 people in it. I have other stupid cop stories but i'm to tired to type much more.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
88' F-250 Heavyduty 4x4 351/c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Weighs around 7,000lbs w. 65mph top speed, who wants to race me!

Old 08-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about dropping a letter in the mailbox to the police chief? I bet he would love to hear what's going on in the field.
My wife and I have been badgered by the city on certain ordinances relating to vehicles in the yard/driveway and decided we had had enough. We started sending pictures and emails to the chief of police showing cruisers illegally parked on shoulders of the road, medians, private property, etc as well as moving violations made by offiers making turns w/o signals, no seatbelts, speeding etc. My wifes cousin in law is a detective in the drug unit and told us they were all told to follow the laws and even a couple were reprimanded. I still had to remove a couple of vehicles but it was worth it.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking about asking the same question about police officers. Yesterday, on the way home from work, I followed a police car on the freeway at 90mph for around 15 miles. The speed limit is 70. Why do cops think that they can break the law anytime they feel like it? But when you or I do it, we are concidered bad people and we should know better than to break traffic laws. I've also seen them turn their lights on to get through traffic lights. Maybe they are late for a meeting at the donut shop

Old 08-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ours is not to know why peace officers are in a hurry, and at such times they have privileges that can be used for it much like a rescue vehicle.

Although scanners can be very revealing at times...

Since I myself am not prepared to be at the heart of all of the ugly situations they deal with constantly (because that IS their job) I am not about to second-guess why a cop short cuts a traffic signal with nothing going on in sight or hearing.

But I can also remember many days, nights, and incidents where I wished to hell the police could have arrived sooner.

Take this, my post, with a grain of salt - and think about it.

I know from cops I have talked to, met, and am related to that those doughnut shops are only momentary breaks from a day full of nasty situations that make up the balance of the carreer they have chosen to follow.

And all because they were sick of people hurting eachother and chose to do something REAL about it...

(My father in law is a deputy sherriff in Decaturville and an ex-MARINE)

Old 08-02-2002, 11:47 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E769180%257E,00.html

Check out the timeline on this guy. One of Denvers "Finest" seems to be a little on the rough side.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:06 AM
fiend
Elder User

I know a guy who works for the Attorney Generals office here, who also used to work in the PD heere. I've said many of the same things to him as ya'll have said. And he responds "When I was a cop, I didn't turn my lights on to get to domestic abuse calls, but I would go faster than normal to get there".

But things like turning lights on to go through lights, that unacceptable.

Old 08-03-2002, 12:44 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User

A couple of years back hear in Portland Oregon on the freeway there was a cop from a nother city with lights on speeding down the freeway to get to court (he was late). A state cop new he was out of place and tried to pull him over. The cop ended up getting severly repremanded. I think he even got fired.

Justin

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=6866&.jpg
http://66.179.41.42/gen1/build/realgeneral.jpg

2002 F-350 SC LB 4X4 6SPD PSD. 3.73 gears. 2.5" leviling kit. Rhino lined Bed. Prodigy trailer brake controler. 35x12.5x16.5 BFG A/T. 16.5x10 ultra wheels. Newly installed pop up gooseneck hitch and firestone airbag spring helpers are on the back seat ready to go on. (when I find the energy)

Old 08-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Brncomtb
Senior User

It seems like the cops around here are the exact opposite. Which in my book is a bad thing. They will all drive at exactly the speed limit when they are in the lead of traffic making it so that no one has the nerve to pass a cop because no on wants a ticket. That and always setup speed traps in the worst possible places: like where the speed limit drops 10mph on a hill they will sit on a dark road right next to the new speed limit sign and catch the guys who haven't hit their brakes yet cause they are just coasting down the hill.

JON

Old 08-03-2002, 01:41 PM
dassmoof
Senior User

Don't worry. All the cops around here have a 'Better Than You' (Great Metallica song BTW!) attitude. But, that'll all change in a few years. Whys that? Because I'm gonna be FBI, and I'll go around busting them. Ok. So maybe I won't but it sure would be fun. I am however gonna be a Fed though.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:19 PM
rocky
Elder User

I've received parking tickets that I thought were unjustified, and I sent the payment in with a letter explaining why I think it was wrong. On those occasions (2) I received both my uncashed check back and a letter of apology from the city. As far as cops violating traffic laws, it comes up many times in our newspaper. The reason the police may run lights and other wierd things is that they are going to calls that don't quite warrant the lights and siren, yet are stll urgent enough not to sit in traffic. They don't want to cause accidents with people trying to get out of their way, so they just use their own judgement. They are NOT just trying to get the first hot doughnut from the oven.

Old 08-03-2002, 03:48 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well in my situation it was obvious that he wasn't at a call. He sat at the light for about 20 seconds with his direction on, then decided to turn the lights on and go right infront of an SUV.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
88' F-250 Heavyduty 4x4 351/c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Weighs around 7,000lbs w. 65mph top speed, who wants to race me!

Old 08-03-2002, 06:03 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the video camera out.

Old 08-04-2002, 07:21 AM
GatorFishing
Senior User

As bad as some cops may abuse their powers just think what kind of place we would live in without them.

Old 08-04-2002, 03:39 PM
rocky
Elder User

>Get the video camera out.
I'm thinking of doing just that. I see enough crazy stuff on the road that it may be good enough for the evening news. Passing on double lines, cops speeding, wife-beatins, etc. My friend just bought on for his dash and I'm waitin to see how it works out.

Old 08-04-2002, 07:37 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru

>That and always setup speed traps in the worst possible places: like >where the speed limit drops 10mph on a hill they will sit on a dark >haven't hit their brakes yet cause they are just coasting down the >hill.

Well in Savage MN they one upped that, they sit on the side of the road with all their lights on like they got someone already but they didn't. So passerbyes think they are safe to go a little faster and get nailed.

Quick Reply: Police abusing their powers...