1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Airlift Airbag Install happening

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:09 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Airlift Airbag Install happening

Installing new Airlift 5k pound bags this weekend in between TCU and A&M playing their respective games, for anyone who cares. Not as fun or cool as Stage 1s, but that will be this winter.

The only real issue I foresee is cutting out the redneck GN hitch installed by the previous owner. I already had to plasma cut the ball out that the idiots welded to the frame plate. At least the plate is bolted and not welded to the frame. We'll see! I'll take some photos and post up as I go.

In other news, the first box from Amazon showed up Wednesday empty with the bottom of the box ripped open! I guess someone at UPS made off with a really nice set of Airlifts. Thankfully Amazon sent out another shipment that will be here today, so let the party begin.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Oh yea! I'm watching.
Are you getting a compressor and in cab controls or just air up manually? I'm not sure how most do it. I'm speaking from the hot rod/ air ride side . either way I'm watching as some day I plan on them on ol Clifford.not sure how mine is going to sit with the camper and truck loaded down.
Good luck and we as you know like pics lol

How that bad boy trans treating you?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
Oh yea! I'm watching. Are you getting a compressor and in cab controls or just air up manually? I'm not sure how most do it. I'm speaking from the hot rod/ air ride side . either way I'm watching as some day I plan on them on ol Clifford.not sure how mine is going to sit with the camper and truck loaded down. Good luck and we as you know like pics lol How that bad boy trans treating you?
I was just telling Travis and Bill yesterday that this truck is an entirely different truck. It is running SO well. The power stays up through the shifts and they are crisp and clean. I have really beat the snot out of it this week to see if any bugs pop up and it has not missed a beat! It runs about 5 degrees cooler on average too. I haven't towed with it yet, but I am guessing that will be a much better experience. Just not losing fluid will be nice! I have crawled under their about 5 or 6 times just to admire the shine and cleanliness. OCD I know.

I won't be doing a compressor. I just couldn't afford it right now. I had these on a Suburban a while back and the lines routed to the rear bumper made airing up pretty easy. I keep reading how much better the ride is. I plan on keeping them aired up to 15 or 20 lbs when empty and about 35 when towing. We'll see how it sits. I want to raise the back up a little bit. It sort of sags now from tired springs.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck has manual air-up air bags. I have never used them. Usually I'm in a hurry and don't take the time to try them out. Anyway, my fill points are located in the fuel fill doors. It seems pretty handy, but like I said, I've never used them.

I want to get a compressor so bad!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Byron! Glad the trans is working well. I'm thinking that will be my next up grade before anything else, I've noticed a decline in shift quality, and I've worked it pretty good this summer, pulling campers, car trailers, and all that stuff. Never gets hot or leaks fluid, stays about 165-170 no matter what, but I'm thinking its just worn. I can tell when I really push hard on it that it doesn't like it. Who knows with 371K when/if it was rebuilt. I'm thinking has to have been touched at some point. I only have history back to 290K

Anyways, the airbags sound like the real deal! If I pulled more I would get them but I don't pull enough to warrant it at the moment. But I know you pull your camper alot and that should help alot, both with keeping the truck level and over all ride quality.

Sorry for the novel...lol Ill keep an eye out on your progress. I'm sure pictures will be following.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I have the firestone air bags and really like them. I don't have the compressor but its really not a problem. I run 60 lbs in them with the 5er and it sits level. When I air them up I also air up the hitch air bags at 50 lbs.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
My truck has manual air-up air bags. I have never used them. Usually I'm in a hurry and don't take the time to try them out. Anyway, my fill points are located in the fuel fill doors. It seems pretty handy, but like I said, I've never used them. I want to get a compressor so bad!
You already have them?! Lucky duck.... You should try them. I think they are really worth it and airing up takes no time.

Originally Posted by madMatador78
Cool Byron! Glad the trans is working well. I'm thinking that will be my next up grade before anything else, I've noticed a decline in shift quality, and I've worked it pretty good this summer, pulling campers, car trailers, and all that stuff. Never gets hot or leaks fluid, stays about 165-170 no matter what, but I'm thinking its just worn. I can tell when I really push hard on it that it doesn't like it. Who knows with 371K when/if it was rebuilt. I'm thinking has to have been touched at some point. I only have history back to 290K Anyways, the airbags sound like the real deal! If I pulled more I would get them but I don't pull enough to warrant it at the moment. But I know you pull your camper alot and that should help alot, both with keeping the truck level and over all ride quality. Sorry for the novel...lol Ill keep an eye out on your progress. I'm sure pictures will be following.
Thanks Thomas! Here are a few photos, nothing crazy. I got very lucky and the install is pretty straight forward.

Pre-fit test....seems pretty good

The part I hated most

All done with one side

So you can see, not a hard job at all. Some guys made it sound like this was excruciating. I got very lucky and the bracket fit around the gooseneck plate, so it was straight forward. I'll do the other side early in the morning, but so far so good. No leaks and ready for work!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Well I sure thought there was more fitting than that.seems like it would take longer to get the wheels off than the install.sweet! Can you give your measurement from mount to mount? I'm wondering if I'm too high with my added spring height.
Also what pn did you order?

Old 11-08-2014, 03:11 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well I sure thought there was more fitting than that.seems like it would take longer to get the wheels off than the install.sweet! Can you give your measurement from mount to mount? I'm wondering if I'm too high with my added spring height. Also what pn did you order?
Aaron the part number is 57215 for our trucks unless you have a Reese 5th wheel hitch. I would have taken more pictures but there really wasn't much to it other than getting the holes lined up on the frame for drilling. I hate drilling the frame, but it calls for it and many have done it, so I just went with it. I ran he air lines to the back bumper and drilled holes to mount each line so I can just air up at the back bumper. I'll get some photos up of those here shortly.

Tell me which measurement you need. It's supposed to be 8" from top to bottom of bag, but you should be fine with the springs unless you have lift springs that have made the distance from the top of the U bolt plate to the frame greater than stock. Just lemme know which measurement you need and I'll get it for you.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I have the firestone air bags and really like them. I don't have the compressor but its really not a problem. I run 60 lbs in them with the 5er and it sits level. When I air them up I also air up the hitch air bags at 50 lbs.

I just have to say Glenn that hitch is epic! I can't imagine how much that has to help.

Byron, I think that will get me close enough.I have 2added springs for height so I will measure and see how it is compared. I can make it happen but to just bolt on is always better on time.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:54 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I just have to say Glenn that hitch is epic! I can't imagine how much that has to help. Byron, I think that will get me close enough.I have 2added springs for height so I will measure and see how it is compared. I can make it happen but to just bolt on is always better on time.
Aaron, from the top of the bottom mounting base to the top of the frame is 9"....not sure if that helps, but hope it does. I think you can make it happen pretty easily. Took a ride with it and man what a nice difference. Only put 35 lbs in to see how it would feel and it feels like it has new springs . Stance of the truck is a little better too. Here are a few more pics for some fun.

Airline valve placement

A little representing for the Aggies today

If anyone has any questions, fire away. I know it wasn't go fast parts, but very functional anyway. Happy CFB Saturday!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:45 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
A&m is killing auburn! I'm no football guy and had a 5yr old sleeping on the remote so that's what was on lol.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:57 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
A&m is killing auburn! I'm no football guy and had a 5yr old sleeping on the remote so that's what was on lol.
Yeah they are!! I am not a real FB guy either, but I do watch these guys. Their defense had improved tremendously.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you buy the airbags at byron? Looking to get some for the welding truck. It is a cab and chasis truck, and want to make sure they will fit it. Is there a forum sponsor that sells them?

Old 12-05-2014, 06:20 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
I'm pretty sure he got from amazon.

Quick Reply: Airlift Airbag Install happening