Power windows & door locks have suddenly quit working

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM
mrjimbov
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power windows & door locks have suddenly quit working

1997 Ford Expedition 4x4

When I push the switch for the drivers window I can hear the relay in the fuse block make a click but window doesn't move. If I push the switch for any other window (on the drivers door or any other door) no click at the relay and no window movement. I've swapped the relay with other relays in the fuse block but nothing changed.
I've tested the driver side window motor by running 12 volts directly and the motor works fine.
When I press the PDL switch I hear a buzzing sound coming from the passenger floor area behind the glove box but the locks do not go up or down.
I started the truck and when I put it in gear I can hear the PW relay in the fuse block clicking repeatedly. Put the truck in Park & the clicking stops.

I was told (on another forum) that the problem is most likely my GEM module. Bought a used 1 on eBay and installed it today but nothing changed.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Wiggle the wires that go from the pillar to the door on the driver's side while someone tries to make it work, and see if that does anything. You may have a broken wire where they bend when the door is opened and shut all the time. Everything goes through the driver's side door first, and it's the one that is used the most.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM
mrjimbov
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem solved, turns out the main ground wire for the PW & PDL switches was the problem.
Thanks you to my uncle who replied to my FB post & reminded me of something he told me years ago. 90% of trailer light problems (and electrical problems in general) are due to a bad or broken ground wire.

Also thank you to Franklin2! I fixed it before I ever saw your reply post so I don't know if wiggling the main wire harness coming into the drivers door would have worked but you were on the right track

Old 11-22-2014, 03:56 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone replaced the guts on a 94-97 F-series door? I have the XLT all power windows, and I think the regulator, gear and track are old and worn out. Is there an easy way to replace them, short of buying a new door?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Franklin2
I have never worked on one of those before. I know on the newer cars, the motor and the cable assembly comes all together as one piece from the parts store.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:05 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
True, I just know its apparently a PITA because its inside a well in the door, making it hard to get too. Just curious though. the window still drops, I just have to pull it up when I want it back up!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Franklin2
See if you can find it on the web, maybe you tube. I found instructions on how to do my wife's Honda, and it was very simple once you know the tricks. They showed you what position to put the window in, and unbolt the glass, and take it out, and then how the rest of it came out. I never would have figured it all out without the help of got from the video. Who knew it was so easy to take the whole glass out, and it was one of the first things you needed to do.

I guy I work with was having trouble with the short doors on his extended cab, they won't open. I went to google and started typing in "Ford extended cab rear doors" and before I could get anything else in it started giving me suggestions below that said "won't open". That told me right away there was a lot of people having the same trouble and sure enough, there are videos on there explaining the cable problems they have and the solutions, as well as how to get it all apart.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:20 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
That's what I was doing all this afternoon. It was about 2am last night when I was going over all of what's wrong with my truck. I just need to win the lotto, then this project would really take off! The rear doors are simple though, Just need to hook the power windows back up, and the locks actuators need replaced, pretty simple there.