New electric cooling fans setup. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:08 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New electric cooling fans setup. (Pics)

Sized as if it were meant for a F100.

Installed in truck. Sorry about the dust. I haven't detailed the fans and housing yet.

The fans are 13" and dual speed. They are off of a Chrysler 300C Hemi. They push some major air. Hopefully this will help others with interest in upgrading the cooling system. The radiator is the standard '66 F100 core size.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Do you allow the truck to sit and idle a lot? That setup will block more air flow at 20mph & up than it will ever pull through itself.

The only time ol these trucks need a fan is when idling, because of the huge frontal opening once they are moving, no further assistance is required.

John

Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I like the looks of that. Did you compare it to the Mark 8 system in re cost, complexity etc.?
John, Eric is trying to solve an overheating/detonation problem (detailed at FEForum) and it looks like he's trying everything.
EricD

Old 11-07-2014, 11:26 AM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
I like the looks of that. Did you compare it to the Mark 8 system in re cost, complexity etc.?
John, Eric is trying to solve an overheating/detonation problem (detailed at FEForum) and it looks like he's trying everything.
EricD

Eric; I did not compare the two but the fit and pulling power of this unit sold me. The whole assembly can be had for under $100.00!
2006-2008 Dodge Charger Auxiliary Fan Assembly - Cooling System - Dorman 06-08 Charger Auxiliary Fan Assembly - 18598-05107841 - PartsGeek

Old 11-07-2014, 11:39 AM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Do you allow the truck to sit and idle a lot? That setup will block more air flow at 20mph & up than it will ever pull through itself.

The only time ol these trucks need a fan is when idling, because of the huge frontal opening once they are moving, no further assistance is required.

John

I live in Phx. and engine/engine bay heat is a huge problem when sitting at traffic light after traffic light. If my engine was stock with factory exhaust manifolds; I'd probably be fine. The fans are thermostatically controlled so they are not running at cruising speeds unless needed. I've attended hundreds of auto shows here and observed the various cooling systems used on classic cars to keep them cool here. I'd have to say that the majority of autos used for more than car shows; use electric fans here. In front of my radiator is a large a/c condenser and transmission cooler as well. I'll be the first to post if this doesn't work, but I suspect it will exceed my expectations.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:39 AM
66f100project
Junior User
That's a "cool" mod, but why is it overheating to begin with?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by 66f100project
That's a "cool" mod, but why is it overheating to begin with?

I'm actually not overheating. The engine temps climb at slow city driving and at stop light after stop light here in Phx. I also run a/c. If it were a stock engine; I'm sure all would be fine with the stock cooling system.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:51 AM
66f100project
Junior User
Gotcha. And after reading the specs in your signature, I get it now...

Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dsrtjeeper
I live in Phx. and engine/engine bay heat is a huge problem when sitting at traffic light after traffic light. If my engine was stock with factory exhaust manifolds; I'd probably be fine. The fans are thermostatically controlled so they are not running at cruising speeds unless needed. I've attended hundreds of auto shows here and observed the various cooling systems used on classic cars to keep them cool here. I'd have to say that the majority of autos used for more than car shows; use electric fans here. In front of my radiator is a large a/c condenser and transmission cooler as well. I'll be the first to post if this doesn't work, but I suspect it will exceed my expectations.
Gotchaya, The AC has to be adding to the concern. If you are running a York compressor even more strain.

I had an appointment with a homeowner back in the late 90s and my Taurus sat out in mid 90º temps idling with the AC on and the gauge never moved. I couldn't get over it, because the old Yorks pulled the engine so hard it would raise the temp to hot really fast on vehicles that I had owner prior.

What compressor are you running with your AC?

John

Old 11-07-2014, 08:44 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Gotchaya, The AC has to be adding to the concern. If you are running a York compressor even more strain.

I had an appointment with a homeowner back in the late 90s and my Taurus sat out in mid 90º temps idling with the AC on and the gauge never moved. I couldn't get over it, because the old Yorks pulled the engine so hard it would raise the temp to hot really fast on vehicles that I had owner prior.

What compressor are you running with your AC?

John
Sanden. Imagine sitting in traffic in 110° plus weather with 140° pavement. Hot air gets trapped under the hood like a parachute in these trucks. Heatsoak sets in.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dsrtjeeper
Sanden. Imagine sitting in traffic in 110° plus weather with 140° pavement. Hot air gets trapped under the hood like a parachute in these trucks. Heatsoak sets in.
Adding electric fans was the best thing I ever did. I'm in So. Cal. 40 miles north of Palm Springs. Like Az. it gets Hot. "How Hot?" Damn Hot!!
When Temps are 110-115 no air is moving. City driving from light to light there isn't enough air moving to keep one of these trucks cool. Once your on open highway you don't need the fans. Unless your stuck in "Rush Hour Traffic" then you better have these fans.
I got mine through "The Fan Man" custom installed. I do feel so much better when I drive in the summer.

Good for you dsrtjeeper, keep it

Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by gangstakr
Adding electric fans was the best thing I ever did. I'm in So. Cal. 40 miles north of Palm Springs. Like Az. it gets Hot. "How Hot?" Damn Hot!!
When Temps are 110-115 no air is moving. City driving from light to light there isn't enough air moving to keep one of these trucks cool. Once your on open highway you don't need the fans. Unless your stuck in "Rush Hour Traffic" then you better have these fans.
I got mine through "The Fan Man" custom installed. I do feel so much better when I drive in the summer.

Good for you dsrtjeeper, keep it

Thanks. Good to hear that the electric fans do help. Can't wait to test the setup.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:28 AM
David1964
New User
Fans

DSR, When you did this modification did you remove the old clutch and fan. I am putting Vintage air on my 64 223 frame off and have been thinking about a heat issue. I was thinking I may have to do a mod also with my fan.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 AM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by David1964
DSR, When you did this modification did you remove the old clutch and fan. I am putting Vintage air on my 64 223 frame off and have been thinking about a heat issue. I was thinking I may have to do a mod also with my fan.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking but; one can't run both the mechanical and electric fan. It's either one or the other. I suspect with your small six that you should be able to run the factory cooling setup.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:20 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks good. What size is that radiator core?

Quick Reply: New electric cooling fans setup. (Pics)