1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F100 SUPERNATIONALS HAVE BEEN MOVED FOR 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:47 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
F100 SUPERNATIONALS HAVE BEEN MOVED FOR 2015

I just got off the phone with Charlie Cobble and the f100 supernats will NOT be in PF this year. They will be held in Lebanon TN on the same date as planned (May 14,15, 16). The web site has not been updated but will be soon. I do not know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but it had to be moved as they lost the MUNI parking lot.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I drove through the Municipal parking lot Sunday night. It's now being used as parking for "The Island", which includes a big gigantic ferris wheel, Margaritaville, Dick's Last Resort (which is kind of cool if you like to be insulted while you eat), a future Paula Dean restaurant, shops, yada yada. The whole parking lot is still there, with the LeConte center on the other end. But I can see how it's not feasible (or affordable) for the Supernationals now.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would assume that the fairgrounds would be the location for the show in Lebanon. They do have a lot of hotel rooms available there, but being so close to Nashville, the decent rooms will be more expensive and the 'cheap' rooms will really be dumps. I've stayed at a lot of different places in Lebanon while I worked the NASCAR races at the Nashville track and it was a real crap shoot from year to year.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:44 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
An additional hour drive for me.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I haven't been to the Supernationals since before the move to Knoxville and back to PF. I was sort of getting the feeling that Pigeon Forge was starting to fall out of love with all the car shows.

I'm not sure how it will turn out being held in Lebanon. Without a doubt the cruising situation will certainly be much different. The Fairgrounds is the only option that I can think of where they could hold the event and there is not a lot of indoor space for vendors.

On the other hand, that is the same weekend that the Goodguys event is held in Nashville. I've seen several F100s come in at Goodguys from the Supernationals that were wanting to attend both events.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I am about 45 minutes from Lebanon, I am pumped! I don't know how it will turn out, but I think a big positive for everyone will be the proximity to the goodguys event downtown.

While I do love going out to pigeon forge/gatlinburg, I am hoping this turns into a good thing.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
I heard and was hoping it was not true. I live 30 minutes from the James Ward Ag center. Lebanon is a small town. There are hotels there but there is not much for the family. I know tons of people hated Chilhowee Park but it will turn to be a better alternative than James Ward Ag Center. Expect the GOODGUYS Nashville show to impact hotel rates as far out as Lebanon... Anyone planning on attending let me know and I will help with whatever information you need. Going to the F100 Supernationals and being able to get home in 30 minutes who woulda thunk it.. Drew and Schuyles which one of you is planning the cruise to the Good guys show? LOL... Advance Plating and Greening normally have open houses so there is free lunch/dinner for one day.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My half brother lives in Franklin, TN, so it would be a plus for me.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:45 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The wife's family is in Lebanon, this might be a good excuse for a "family" visit.
Not sure where in Lebanon that it would be held, the "downtown" square reminds me a lot of the town in the "Dukes of Hazzard".

Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Chuck Google James Ward Ag Center. That is where the promoter has at least one other show.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:36 AM
midfifty
Former Vendor
Here is the flyer for it, the back says it will be at the Wilson County Fairgrounds

Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by tacson
Chuck Google James Ward Ag Center. That is where the promoter has at least one other show.
Thanks Donald, got a better idea of where it's at now. Easy drive from LaGuardo!

Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Granny1153
Senior User

I think Charlie has really screwed up this time. Since Charley took it over, a lot of people quit coming the first few years. The past couple of years attendance has been growing. A lot of people from KY, WV and Ohio came to Pigeon Forge, and the family took in Pigeon Forge. In the surrounding area Kodak ball park, Sevier County fair grounds, Sevierville civic center would had been a lot better.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Granny1153
I think Charlie has really screwed up this time. Since Charley took it over, a lot of people quit coming the first few years. The past couple of years attendance has been growing. A lot of people from KY, WV and Ohio came to Pigeon Forge, and the family took in Pigeon Forge. In the surrounding area Kodak ball park, Sevier County fair grounds, Sevierville civic center would had been a lot better.
You have a good point, and I agree. But I'm gonna give you my take on the situation from the outside looking in. My family owns a home in Sevierville. I actually work part-time in Sevierville. So, needless to say, I'm there a lot, and I talk to a lot of locals about this situation quite frequently. It seems to me that the governments of Sevierville and PF aren't exactly rolling out the red carpet for the car crowd nowadays. First, I have tons of friends here in Kentucky who make the pilgrimage to the Rod Run twice a year. Nowadays, all they can talk about is how the police shook them down because their golf cart didn't have a license plate, they parked in the wrong spot at the wrong hotel, hotel prices skyrocketed, etc. Also, the Great Smoky Mountain F-100 Show basically got removed from PF in the middle of the night a couple years ago due to a permit problem. Those people literally had to pack their things and scramble down to Townsend to have their show. I would imagine that Charlie probably checked some of those places, and I'd guess the price to use the venues keeps going up. I'd imagine the price he was quoted to keep the Supernationals in that parking lot and the LeConte Center was off the charts.

It just seems like PF and Sevierville cannot get enough of the corporate growth. In the meantime, events like the Supernationals and the Rod Run (and the huge amount of revenue that comes with them) are not as "important" to the locals as they used to be. Again, this is just my opinion, but it seems to be what I have directly observed. I cringe every single time I hear a local complain about the crowded parkway, or the Dollywood traffic, etc. The economy is booming there, while it's crashing just 20 miles away in every direction.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Shane makes some excellent points. He's 100% right about the locals no longer wanting the big car events there. Two years ago the Knoxville TV stations covered some PF city meetings where the locals were demanding that city officials crack down or get rid of the car shows. The deal with the Great Smoky Mtn F100 Run was a disgrace and proved the point that the city was serious about wanting to rid itself of the car shows. That show was lucky to be able to relocate to Townsend, but the Supernationals is just too huge to be accommodated at Townsend. Chilhowee Park in Knoxville was a great facility but was too far removed from adequate lodging, especially considering the neighborhood.
I believe that Lebanon will work out for this event, but it will take folks a year or two to adjust to the location. The attendees will also have to learn to stay on top of the ever changing hotel situation in Lebanon as ownership, brand names, prices and quality seems to change like the weather there.

Quick Reply: F100 SUPERNATIONALS HAVE BEEN MOVED FOR 2015