1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F100 SUPERNATIONALS HAVE BEEN MOVED FOR 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
this might do it for me.. tired of chasing... while Lebanon might be convenient for the sponser... there isn't much going on for the family. For us (wife and I) it's a vacation for both of us and the truck show is only part of it... we enjoy PF and Gatlinburg and even a little gambling at Cherokee. Last year we spent two nites in Cherokee early in the week and the rest of the week in PF. I'm quite sure there are many truck owners who have the same situation.

Chilowee was 'ok'. We liked the fairgrounds with the shade and grass, but again lodging was a bit far and the neighborhood was sketchy. If PF doesn't want us... well fine... but surely there are other alternatives with family oriented entertainment/interest. This might be the beginning of the downfall of the Supernats.

Wonder if they are chasing Shades group or some of the street rodders away also...seems like they are sending a lot of $$$ elsewhere... I understand the 'locals' complaints about traffic and congestion.. I use as many backroads as I can to avoid the strip but even the back roads are getting crowded since the visitors have found them... but the locals include the business people that run the hotels, restaurants and attractions... I'll bet they aren't complaining about 'no vacancies' Perhaps they (governments) don't need the revenue (until it's gone) Might see more than the red roof and blue roofs vacant ?????

later
j

Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I am reading many of the same reports about conditions in the TN area that we have been seeing here in CA for some time now...more and more locals complaining about big car shows. Paso Robles, Santa Maria, and other towns have cancelled big car shows due to pressure from local residents. Obviously these folks are getting revenues from other sources and see the return on investment as minimal when it comes to the car shows. We have local cruise nights in different areas of San Diego, one is held in a part of town that decided that the participants would be a good source of revenue so they sent out the local police, and even the CA DMV, to round up these scofflaws. That did not go over so well because the hot rod folks boycotted the cruise night due to the harrassment. Well the local businesses bitched because they were losing money and the city backed off the harrassment.

The annual show at Big Bear Lake is one of the best in SoCal because it is embraced by the locals...this is a different case though since Big Bear is a ski town and the summer is the "off season" so an influx of revenue is welcomed. Lebanon may welcome the F100 Nats today and they too may say nix on it for future years. I have in-laws who live in that area and if it wasn't for them I wouldn't consider going to the show...I have never been when it was at PF so this year will be a first.

I guess the bottom line is that these things ebb and flow, for those who are upset and leave it is a big deal. For those who see the new venue as a positive change it will draw in more attendance. Speaking from the postion of one who has booked venues for car shows, I know that this is a monumental undertaking...lots of ***** in the air with lots of good intentioned folks around you telling you which ball to catch and which to let drop. Hopefully it will all work out.

I have been to Lebanon quite a few times to visit the in-laws, for me it is a relaxing time since I am used to the hectic pace of SoCal. There are a number of very nice golf courses in the area and other attractions in Nashville but all in all I would have to say that if one is looking for local entertainment that this is not at the top of any list. I will be at the Nats for the first time so for me it will be a new experience. Many of the vendors will be familiar to me as most are also at the West coast events that I attend. I look forward to seeing new vendors and new trucks and new people this year. For those who are disenchanted with the Nats I encourage you to take a trip West, the F100 Western Nats are in late June and are just a week removed from the LA Roadster show.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't been to the Nats since it was in Knoxville but attended an event at the Fairgrounds in Lebanon this past summer. I thought it was a nice facility but then again I was by myself and only had me to entertain. I'd certainly give it a chance and see how it shakes out. Nothing is permanent.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM
old uhaul
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say, go to Lebanon Tn and enjoy the show.
Its about another 200 miles for me but it could be worse, they could just not have them anymore...............

Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by old uhaul
I say, go to Lebanon Tn and enjoy the show.
Its about another 200 miles for me but it could be worse, they could just not have them anymore...............
All I hope is I don't have to walk very far to my hotel room after the late night of cold brewskis. I cant wait. I might just sleep in the back of your uhaul truck!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
All I hope is I don't have to walk very far to my hotel room after the late night of cold brewskis. I cant wait. I might just sleep in the back of your uhaul truck!
Better get ready to sleep in your truck, nearest motel to fairgrounds is 2 miles.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Better get ready to sleep in your truck, nearest motel to fairgrounds is 2 miles.
Good to know early, now I can plan for it.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
diesel jim
New User
2015 supernationals

I don't think the real reason for moving the show is that PF does not want the show there, but the main reason is money the show sponsers don't want to have to pay the price to rent the convention center. I always looked forward to going to Pigeon Forge every year for more than just the truck show. I think they have made a terrible mistake in moving the show. I will not be going Im sure there will be a lot of others that will skip show.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:40 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by diesel jim
I don't think the real reason for moving the show is that PF does not want the show there, but the main reason is money the show sponsers don't want to have to pay the price to rent the convention center. I always looked forward to going to Pigeon Forge every year for more than just the truck show. I think they have made a terrible mistake in moving the show. I will not be going Im sure there will be a lot of others that will skip show.
I'd have to disagree with that idea. The fact that they DID rent the convention center for 2014 dispels it outright. Also the fact that the Convention Center itself cannot possibly accommodate the show, as shown by this years show. The vendors alone took up 90% of the center and it would need to be at least 5x it's current size to fit all the trucks in it.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM
midfifty
Former Vendor
I think the convention center didn't want us back, a lot of the vendors were getting scolded for having sharp parts on the ground, or tires on the ground without cardboard under them, we got yelled at for giving out balloons to kids.

Maybe they thought a truck show was too rough on their new building? The people that ran the convention center (not the show) looked very nervous the entire time.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM
midfifty
Former Vendor
Also money from the vendors isn't a problem, the convention center was cheaper for us, we didn't have to rent a huge tent, generators, gas, fans etc.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by midfifty
Also money from the vendors isn't a problem, the convention center was cheaper for us, we didn't have to rent a huge tent, generators, gas, fans etc.
Do you know yet what facilities you will have at Lebanon? Will you be able to set up inside one of the buildings there or will you be going back to tents again?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:23 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Do you know yet what facilities you will have at Lebanon? Will you be able to set up inside one of the buildings there or will you be going back to tents again?
The flyer says limited vendor space, I already have 8 swap meet spaces reserved

Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
midfifty
Former Vendor
Not yet, we only looked at the google maps view for now, but it looks like it will be outside for us again. But its hard to tell how big those buildings are not seeing them in person of course

Old 11-12-2014, 01:39 PM
midfifty
Former Vendor
I just called, he said the covered area will be too small for our setup, so he has a 100ft wide spot for us and Classic Haulers, but it'll have to be outside and he is looking for tent companies.

A side question, seems like Nashville floods every year around that time, does this place also have that problem?

Quick Reply: F100 SUPERNATIONALS HAVE BEEN MOVED FOR 2015