Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Best load range E winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Best load range E winter tires

My van needs tires, and with winter coming I figure tires angled towards winter traction would be a big help.
It has the stock 285/75R16 tires, I'd like to keep that same size.
Short of the high end northern European tires, what is my best option here?

Old 11-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Kleenax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
My van needs tires, and with winter coming I figure tires angled towards winter traction would be a big help.
It has the stock 285/75R16 tires, I'd like to keep that same size.
Short of the high end northern European tires, what is my best option here?
I really like the Cooper AT3 in that size for my 2-wheel drive Ford pick-up.
In fact, I just bought 4 new ones last week, and even got a $70 rebate for buying 4 of them. Price was $661.00 less the $70 rebate = $591.00 grand total, and that included mounting, balancing, old tire disposal, and nitrogen fill. This is my 2nd set of these in the 285/75R16. Got over 49k on that last set, and they were GREAT in the snow! I fill them to 70psi.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
For sand and light snow I liked the bfg A/t, but in heaver snow they pack up and aren't much good. Right know I have a set of good year durtrac, but nether set is lasting very long, do you really need load range Es on a van. I like Ds and I do haul heavy loads. my set of bfg d-range handled weight better than the geo-track E-range I have on my trailer.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
It's a pretty heavy van to start with, and I have about 4500miles of highway towing coming up in the next year.
A couple of the Dodges at work run the Coopers, and they seem to be ok, I just didn't know how they handled snow.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i have the cooper AT3's on my 02, and next year when the 04 will need tires it is getting them also.
last winter i was amazed at how good they were in the snow when plowing.
they are also very quiet for how aggressive they are.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 PM
shorerider16
Senior User
I am a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. It's a great all round tire, good off road but it has good on high way characteristics. While it's not a dedicated snow tire it does have a true winter rating, a legal requirement here in BC, and it can also be studded. I have used them on a few different vehicles now and the only reason I would go with something else, for my needs, would be if Goodyear stopped making them.

That being said if you are looking for a year round tire on a van that sees mostly highway they may be a little more aggressive than required. In snow and ice they do work well, one of the few viable options for larger trucks.

I just put a new set on last week so the truck is ready for whatever kind of winter we end up having.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:59 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
here is a pic of the AT3's:

Old 11-08-2014, 04:00 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading reviews and studying specs with a bydget un mind, I went with Yokohama geolander ats. They have been pretty good. The tread issimilar to those coopers Tom is showing.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
A winter rating would be good, we will be driving from the Seattle area to western TX in January or February, and OR is picky about that. I will already need to carry chains for both tow vehicles and both trailers, I'd like to minimize the chances of needing them though.

Sent from my Brigadier using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 PM
mu2bdriver
Junior User
I just put new DuraTracs on my 250 in October. The reviews were all positive and to try to save a few dollars wasn't worth the chances of getting stuck. Cheap rubber = bad tires I also keep chains in the truck just in case.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
I've used the BFG ATs on several trucks over the years, and they are the best compromise between a dedicated snow tire and a reasonably aggressive on/off road tire I have tried. Most sizes are winter rated. The best thing about the BFGs has been the slippery surface braking, unlike the tires I have on two trucks now that hate brakes on ice/snow. Of course, you can always mount Blizzaks...

Old 11-09-2014, 11:33 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by snowdog79
Of course, you can always mount Blizzaks...
This. We've had 'em for about four years on the PSD we drive in winter. First year, the city effed up the plowing schedule, city was SHUT DOWN. My wife got to her clients down completely unplowed streets, while the plows were getting stuck. They're also esp. good on ice.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Has anyone had experience with the Hankook I*Pike? They are $140 each, and are reviewed as having a stiff sidewall. This is something the van really needs, especially if it's getting loaded down.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:21 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hankooks arent bad, theyre cheap but decent. Dont expect alot of mileage. IMHO Goodyear (particularly wrangler) as well as BFG are junk, second only to michelin. If you want a great tire that will stand up to anything and wear like iron get Toyo. FYI, 285/75 is not a stock size tire. As far as i know the 4x4 had 235/85 and duallys 215/85. However, stock speedos tend to be fast, so stepping up to a 255/85 or 285/75 will usually give an accurate speedo in my experience. A narrower tire like 235/85 or 255/85 is going to have better traction and handling in winter conditions. The Toyo M-55 is an excellent all around tire, great in mud and snow and will run 40k+ miles no problem without rotation, even in bad conditions and towing. They are pinned for studs as well. My #2 option would be the Toyo MT, same characteristics as the M-55 but more for traction, still excellent mileage and very little noise. However they are pricier and heavy. They have alot of sidewall protection, side lugs and 3 ply sidewalls. I cant remember if they are pinned or not. Both tires have excellent tread depth, something Michelin and BFG definately do not have. My only issue with Wranglers are they are overpriced for the quality, theyre a mid-quality tire at best and priced as a top tier, they do not wear well, they chip out and the kevlar sidewall is prone to punctures.

If youre looking for a set of actual snow tires i cant help you, never had any experience with em. All i know about them are they are soft and have alot of siping. Siping is good for traction on ice, but on anything other than ice/snow / bare pavement they will chip out and fall apart. I honestly believe you will be way better off with a good mud/snow tire, studs if youre really worried / inexperienced on slick roads.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I don't know how i typed it like that. It's 235/85r16 on the van. I have 285s on the rear of my truck, but those would probably rub on the front of a 2wd van.

Quick Reply: Best load range E winter tires