1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LED Headlights?

Anyone heard of, or bought LED headlight bulbs, or complete units, that actually work good?

I know there are a couple for bigger trucks now, but haven't seen any for pickups.

I don't like the hassle of HID's, most of them are just dims anyways.
I also don't care for the "projector" style aftermarket headlights, every truck I've been in with them has crap light output compared to stock.

I'm talking LED replacement complete fixtures, or LED bulbs that actually put out as much or more light as the stock 65w bulbs.

Anyone?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:41 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I recently installed an LED bulb kit in my stock housings. Light output is close to double on the low beam but only a slight increase on high beam. They have a small ballast with them that plugs right in as easy as changing the stock bulbs. You do have to "index" them when you put them in. The bulbs have to be oriented so that they sit the same way in each of the housings. I paid $130 Canadian for a kit and think it is a worthy upgrade. There is no issues with blinding oncoming drivers.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Forgot to mention my rig is a 2012.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by eberlestock
I recently installed an LED bulb kit in my stock housings. Light output is close to double on the low beam but only a slight increase on high beam. They have a small ballast with them that plugs right in as easy as changing the stock bulbs. You do have to "index" them when you put them in. The bulbs have to be oriented so that they sit the same way in each of the housings. I paid $130 Canadian for a kit and think it is a worthy upgrade. There is no issues with blinding oncoming drivers.
Whered you get them from?
I also pay in CAD$

Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently put 6000k led bulbs in my fog lights. They were a pretty blue but the light output was crap. I put stock ones back. Was a waste of 15 bucks not sure i want to try this again and throw more money down the drain. I have a 2012 also. Now i have a bad taste about it even though i want more light i dont think i need to spend 40bucks or more to get better light and i dont want hids.. Not sure if im gonna bother now

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Hotrod70d
. Was a waste of 15 bucks
Well theres you problem lol.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
I also don't care for the "projector" style aftermarket headlights, every truck I've been in with them has crap light output compared to stock.

Anyone?
You obviously have not been in a vehicle with true projectors or you would not be asking about led's. You are only referring to aftermarket projector style replacement headlights.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
You obviously have not been in a vehicle with true projectors or you would not be asking about led's. You are only referring to aftermarket projector style replacement headlights.
Well I don't know headlights good enough to know the difference, if that clears that up.

I just want sweet headlights that have awesome light output, and don't need new bulbs every year, because I hate changing bulbs.
I put brighter bulbs in, but theres not much difference, and they burn out quick.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Well I don't know headlights good enough to know the difference, if that clears that up.

I just want sweet headlights that have awesome light output, and don't need new bulbs every year, because I hate changing bulbs.
I put brighter bulbs in, but theres not much difference, and they burn out quick.
Check out Blackbird Lighting Solutions - look at the F-series lights then send Brian an email with all your questions. No, I'm not a rep, just a happy customer. Worth every penny spent. You want awesome - here you go.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:06 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
Check out Blackbird Lighting Solutions - look at the F-series lights then send Brian an email with all your questions. No, I'm not a rep, just a happy customer. Worth every penny spent. You want awesome - here you go.

I emailed them thank you!
We'll see what they got to say.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:08 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, my truck is going on 6 years on the original lamps, so if you are changing every year you have a problem of some sort. If it's just the brighter lamps that burn out quick that's probably either low quality, or simply the fact that higher watage halogen lamps have shorter life spans.

Just about any replacement lamp whether LED or HID is not going to be street legal / DOT rated as different light sources require different reflector designs to meet proper standards for beam cutoff angles and whatnot. Complete replacement units might be legal / DOT rated, but I suspect there are a lot of units out there with phony DOT claims.

Ultimately I'd really only consider if you can find an vehicle OEM headlight assembly you like that you could retrofit, which would be a fair amout of work, but would get you an assembly you can trust has a real DOT rating.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Srg11f250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wp6529
Well, my truck is going on 6 years on the original lamps, so if you are changing every year you have a problem of some sort. If it's just the brighter lamps that burn out quick that's probably either low quality, or simply the fact that higher watage halogen lamps have shorter life spans.

Just about any replacement lamp whether LED or HID is not going to be street legal / DOT rated as different light sources require different reflector designs to meet proper standards for beam cutoff angles and whatnot. Complete replacement units might be legal / DOT rated, but I suspect there are a lot of units out there with phony DOT claims.

Ultimately I'd really only consider if you can find an vehicle OEM headlight assembly you like that you could retrofit, which would be a fair amout of work, but would get you an assembly you can trust has a real DOT rating.
Has anyone tried xtralights .com? I have been looking at their light sets but don't know if it is worth the money

Old 11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User

I agree 100%. I adjusted my projectors (which have a cutoff) to be the exact same height as my wife's suv at 25'. I have never been flashed. Am I illegal? yes. Will I ever get pulled over? no.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
or simply the fact that higher watage halogen lamps have shorter life spans.
Ya it says right on the box, decreased lifespan.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Some of the lights and bulbs are ridiculous.

For 500-1000$ I'll just mount lights on the bumper.
Sheesh.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights?