6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil leak Dye Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 AM
PSDNovice
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak Dye Questions

Hey guys,

I looked through the old threads but didn't find much on oil dye use.

I have a passenger side leak that only drips when running and hot. It appears to be coming from the topside, doesn't look like the glow-plug or pan.

I was planning on buying some oil dye and a blacklight to see if I can figure this out myself, the question being, is there a specific dye to use or avoid?

I know these trucks are finicky with oil in general, so I don't want to cause any problems.

Also, ANY advice on diagnosing an oil leak in the 6.0 would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a "common 6.0 leaks" thread somewhere, maybe linked in the tech folder sticky.

This is what we use in our hydraulic systems at work, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it in my truck. Cummins field techs use it for engines, too. You'll only need 1 oz for 4 gallons of oil.
I don't know where to get it... That's what our purchasing department is for. Maybe try a Cummins distributor - they have ~4 oz bottles the techs use. They use it in fuel or oil. Just don't put it in your coolant. There are specific coolant dyes for that.

Fluorescent Yellow 131SC | The Dow Chemical Company
A.k.a. Rohm And Haas 131sc

Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
One good place to look is the oil pressure and temp sensors
at the top of the cooler assembly. Then check around the
bottom or the turbo to see if it getting past the drain O-rings.

How soon do you have the next oil change coming up?
Note that you have quite a bit of hold over oil in the system.
So the dye will stay in the system for a long time.

Sean

Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 AM
PSDNovice
Freshman User
Thanks for the info guys.

Next oil change is a thousand miles or so, but I can do it as soon I get the leak figured out.

I had a feeling it was coming from somewhere around the turbo, but I dried up what I could see and haven't been able to see where it's coming from.

Should I pull the turbo and start checking around there before going straight to the dye? My worry is getting it torn down and still not finding the leak, then having to reassemble and add dye, then repeat lol.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
A mirror or an inspection camera can be your friend in this.
I would not pull the turbo just yet. One thing to do is use
some degreaser and hot water at LOW pressure to remove
all the oil from the valley and oil filter housing area. Then
blow all the water out with a air gun or a vacuum on blow.

You don't want to spray the water so that it does not get back into the system.

Then start it up and start looking for oil as it warms up.

Sean

Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine Cleaning Gun

I have this engine cleaning gun from harbor freight that works pretty well for small areas. It's like a mini pressure washer (very mini). You need to put your supply water/cleaner in a bucket or container and hook compressed air up to the gun. If you don't hang the bucket above what you're trying to spray, it won't siphon fluid, so you'll see a bunch of reviews on HF's web site that it doesn't work, because the instructions don't tell you to do this.

I'm going to clean my valley this weekend... I had a CAC boot leak and have a bunch of oil from that in the valley, plus I just discovered my orange EGR cooler hose is done, and a blue one is in the mail. I just switched to red coolant and now I'm finding my leaks! Degas bottle is in the mail, too...

Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pep Boys sells an engine dye that is safe for engines. They also have the black lights if you need one.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You will need a few bottles or on larger bottle to make it work. 1 bottle is typically for 5-6qts

Old 11-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
Engine Cleaning Gun

I have this engine cleaning gun from harbor freight that works pretty well for small areas. It's like a mini pressure washer (very mini). You need to put your supply water/cleaner in a bucket or container and hook compressed air up to the gun. If you don't hang the bucket above what you're trying to spray, it won't siphon fluid, so you'll see a bunch of reviews on HF's web site that it doesn't work, because the instructions don't tell you to do this.

I'm going to clean my valley this weekend... I had a CAC boot leak and have a bunch of oil from that in the valley, plus I just discovered my orange EGR cooler hose is done, and a blue one is in the mail. I just switched to red coolant and now I'm finding my leaks! Degas bottle is in the mail, too...
That cleaning tool should not have to be above the work. The fluid is pulled from the
bucked or bottle by suction created with a Venturi. It does not work as a syphon at all.

Anyway enough of the science lesson. You still want to use care it does not much
pressure to force water into places where you don't want it to be. Like past a bad O-ring
or into electrical contacts.

One thing you could do is make some small paper dams to show you wet Vs dry
locations. If you can get the dye I think that may make life easier then the look and
hope that you see method of finding leaks.

Originally Posted by cheezit
You will need a few bottles or on larger bottle to make it work. 1 bottle is typically for 5-6qts
Like Cheezit said you have to have enough to see the leak and your going to be
treating for approximately 18 Quarts of oil.

Sean

Old 11-07-2014, 09:15 PM
PSDNovice
Freshman User
Sounds like the turbo CAC boot is a common one, and that's where I felt like it might be coming from.

Going to pick up a bottle (or two) of the dye tomorrow and see what I can find.

Thanks guys for all the input I really appreciate it!