Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ELM327 diagnostic tool for your smartphone

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ELM327 diagnostic tool for your smartphone

Have any of you tried this product out? As I was driving my truck around, I wondered if there was an app for diagnostic purposes for an OBDII truck. Well, of course someone already thought of the idea and developed it. My search led me to this little device, and I'm wondering if any of you have used it.

ELM327.Net | ELM327 USB/Bluetooth/Wifi/Android Code Reader Scanner ELM327 Wireless OBD2 OBD-II Car Diagnostics Tool For Apple iPad iPhone iPod Touch Android OS Device

Check out all of the things it claims to do:
Specifications OF OBD2 ELM327 USB version Code Reader

ELM327 USB Description:
OBD-II Software for ELM327 USB is a free program that allows you to use your PC and a hardware interface to get the information from your car's computer.
The program is very user-friendly, and easy to learn. It is also very easy to install: simply extract the files into a folder on your computer's hard drive, and you're ready to go. To uninstall the program, simply delete the entire contents of the folder where the program resides.

The program lets you perform the following operations:
1. Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
2. Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
3. Display current sensor data, including:
4. Engine RPM
5. Calculated Load Value
6. Coolant Temperature
7. Fuel System Status
8. Vehicle Speed
9. Short Term Fuel Trim
10. Long Term Fuel Trim
11. Intake Manifold Pressure
12. Timing Advance
13. Intake Air Temperature
14. Air Flow Rate
15. Absolute Throttle Position
16. Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
17. Fuel System status
18. Fuel Pressure
AND Many others...

ELM 327 Upcoming Features:
Data graphing and logging
Freeze Frame data
Continuous and Non-Continuous Oxygen Sensor test results

ELM327 Free software:
1. GM Mode 22 Scan Tool by Terry
2. OBD Gauge for PalmOS and Pocket PC by Dana Peters
3. OBD Logger by Jonathan Senkerik
4. OBD-II ScanMaster by Wladimir Gurskij (ScanMaster 3.52 - local copy)
5. obd2crazy.com
6. OBD2 Scantool by Ivan Andrewjeski
7. OBDII for ELM322 by David Huffman
8. pyOBD by Donour Sizemore for MacOSX and Linux
9. RDDTC by Pete Calinski
10. Real Scan by Brent Harris
11. ScanTest for Pocket PC by Ivan Ganev aka a-ser
12. wOBD by WDT

Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
I have the wired version and it works well with my laptop but the included software is junk. A friend of mine has the Bluetooth version and it's a pain in the *** to work with, sometimes the bluetooth connection works sometimes it doesn't, whereas the wired version always connects.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:18 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
I have the wired version and it works well with my laptop but the included software is junk. A friend of mine has the Bluetooth version and it's a pain in the *** to work with, sometimes the bluetooth connection works sometimes it doesn't, whereas the wired version always connects.
OK, so help a somewhat-computer-illiterate guy out: Does the junk software make the device not worth it? I mean, you said it works, so I'm guessing you would recommend it?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I bought one of the Bluetooth devices for around $20 on Amazon, worked great at first, once. The next time I plugged it in (about 6 weeks after purchase) it was dead (no lights or com with phone). I was using the Torque app for Android. I didn't even buy the really cheap adapter, the reviews said it was one of the better ones, guess not. It was stored in my house in a drawer, so it's not like it was bouncing around in the truck.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by joegeds
OK, so help a somewhat-computer-illiterate guy out: Does the junk software make the device not worth it? I mean, you said it works, so I'm guessing you would recommend it?
First thing is you've got to understand what you are buying.

ELM327 is a specific device. Read about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327
While you are at it, read about SAE J1850 protocol
J1850 (WIP) Class B Data Communications Network Interface - SAE International

Now that you have been bored to tears, understand that you need an app or a program to make this device work. The link you mentioned is quite good, it refers to the popular Torque app for mobile devices. ELM 327 is available as wireless, or wired devices, also pretty clear in your link. Forscan is also a popular software.
FORScan Home

Beware the Chinese clones. Sometimes functionality is compromised

Now that you have a device and software, this will only work on OBDII compatible vehicles. The vast majority of 87 to 96 Ford trucks are OBD1 although there are exceptions, notably California emissions equipped.

One last comment, these are read only type devices. To do flash programming, you need the factory tool, Ford VCM. There are also J1850 tools like FoCom that work very well. I have this tool and like it very much.
FoCOM
Even with a J1850 tool, you will need a subscription to the OEM profiles for successful flash upgrades.

This is likely an industry that will not stand still. There is already a new aftermarket format called J2534. Different manufacturers will require different programming tools. Diagnostic engine codes are mandated to be universally read, but lots of information is now stored in body control modules, (BCM). It's a real jungle out there.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by joegeds
The supplied software app was quirky.. had to minimize the window all the time because it wouldn't refresh.. but that is a windows thing the software might work fine on another computer. The upside is there is all kinds of diagnostic software for these ELM327 devices available for download from the web, the totally free stuff has limited functions and the better stuff will cost you something to get full functionality. Overall I like the device, I found a software package I was going to purchase online but I don't remember what it was now as it was on my other laptop that died some time ago. Bottom line is it should do what you want.