Looking for ideas to reduce chucking

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Guys, here is another shock option. Joy Rider I saw how the Lippert kit needed to be mounted and was scared off and from the sound of Steve's post, I was correct. This one seems to mount differently. I'm considering it for my new rig on order. As to pinbox, one not mentioned was the Reese 5th Airborne. After having the Trail Air Tri-Glide on my last rig, I'm going to try something different this time around. It completely eliminated my chucking issue but even well greased would slam/bang as it slid on take off. I also like how the Reese is fully enclosed, weighs about half of the Tri-Glide, and will fit under a factory pinbox cover designed for the Lippert 1621HD.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:40 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
My Anderson hitch eliminated the chucking too and was MUCH cheaper than the Airborne.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by BPofMD
My Anderson hitch eliminated the chucking too and was MUCH cheaper than the Airborne.
I needed a 21k pinbox so that wouldn't work for me. I can get a 21k 5th airborne for around $800 delivered so not too bad. Plus as you said in your earlier post, I already have a Reese 25k Elite so not looking to change out the hitch too.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Anderson is $400 delivered.....

Old 01-24-2015, 06:25 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Anderson is $400 delivered.....
Yup, not that much difference and is rated for my trailer.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tens of thousands of these trucks and trailers are on the road and don't have any systemic or wide-spread problem with the way the factory hitches work... I think I'll wait until I have a problem before I start throwing money at it... Meanwhile, I'll just use good maintenance practices and make sure everything's in top shape..

Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Tens of thousands of these trucks and trailers are on the road and don't have any systemic or wide-spread problem with the way the factory hitches work... I think I'll wait until I have a problem before I start throwing money at it... Meanwhile, I'll just use good maintenance practices and make sure everything's in top shape..
So, you have no chucking Randy? When I brought my last rig home from MD, I looked over at my wife at one point and thought we were both dancing based on our heads and shoulders bouncing in rhythm with the truck. The night we got home I ordered my Tri-Glide and never felt the problem again. My new one is bigger and heavier so I'm guessing I'll need more of the same. However, I am waiting until the maiden trip home to order....

Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
So, you have no chucking Randy? When I brought my last rig home from MD, I looked over at my wife at one point and thought we were both dancing based on our heads and shoulders bouncing in rhythm with the truck. The night we got home I ordered my Tri-Glide and never felt the problem again. My new one is bigger and heavier so I'm guessing I'll need more of the same. However, I am waiting until the maiden trip home to order....
Oh every now and then when going over a rough patch of road there was a little chucking, but by and large it tows like a dream.. I do need to drop my pin box one notch and put bags in the rear, but other than that, I have no plans to change it. Just maintenance and that's about it..
I did not scale mine yet, but based on what it's maximum is (18k) and what I was carrying, I was maybe 500-1000# shy of that..

Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 AM
System
Prolocutor
Oh every now and then when going over a rough patch of road there was a little chucking, but by and large it tows like a dream.. I do need to drop my pin box one notch and put bags in the rear, but other than that, I have no plans to change it. Just maintenance and that's about it..
I did not scale mine yet, but based on what it's maximum is (18k) and what I was carrying, I was maybe 500-1000# shy of that..

Interesting. Well, I guess every setup is different. You don't need an air pinbox perhaps due to your DRW and longer wheelbase? I don't need air bags as my truck rides level even with 3k pin weight. Every setup has it's strong points and ones that could use improvement....

Old 01-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Interesting. Well, I guess every setup is different. You don't need an air pinbox perhaps due to your DRW and longer wheelbase? I don't need air bags as my truck rides level even with 3k pin weight. Every setup has it's strong points and ones that could use improvement....
Well my setup may well change too... Either the hitch needs to be raised or the pin box dropped because I have some interference with my bed-cover rails when turning sharp on less than level surfaces.. Also the back of the truck sags about 2.5-3".. I'll put the bags in first and see how that affects everything, then drop the pin box a notch if I need to. I'd rather not raise the hitch unless I have to as right now it fits nicely under the bed cover..

Thr trailer is a triple axle and has shocks at each wheel. It will be getting LT tires on it this year too..

So after all of this, I may end up with the chucking problem, but I hope not.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 AM
System
Prolocutor
Well my setup may well change too... Either the hitch needs to be raised or the pin box dropped because I have some interference with my bed-cover rails when turning sharp on less than level surfaces.. Also the back of the truck sags about 2.5-3".. I'll put the bags in first and see how that affects everything, then drop the pin box a notch if I need to. I'd rather not raise the hitch unless I have to as right now it fits nicely under the bed cover..

Thr trailer is a triple axle and has shocks at each wheel. It will be getting LT tires on it this year too..

So after all of this, I may end up with the chucking problem, but I hope not.

Shocks should actually help prevent chucking. Check out the Joyrider setup I posted. Should be an easier install than the Lippert system, albeit more $. I forgot that the DRW's are lower in the back to start with. On my last trailer I had to lower my hitch to it's lowest holes and raise my pinbox to it's highest ones and was still nose high. So, I then added the correct track two system to raise the trailer 2". Since my new rig will have the OEM correct track, not sure what I'll do if nose high again. Trade for a DRW perhaps?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
Every setup is a little different but I've always try in my own rig and advise others to fix the cause of the problem first, in this case the trailer suspension and only go to a band aid to fix the trucks ride as a last resort. On our trailer we have shocks (that have been replaced once) and a Mor/Ride RE equalizer setup, we only have some clunking or bucking on very few roads. The truck has air bags that are only used to stop and bouncing on roads that have a lot of dips, we have a on board compressor so we can adjust on the fly. Our trailer has 3400 lbs of pin weight so roads with dips has a big affect on the truck. Another thing to look at is the condition of your springs, do they still have a arch in them when the trailer is fully loaded or are they flat. I replaced ours a few years back because they had lost there arch from years of use but some trailers have under rated suspensions from the factory so that's another thing to look at.

Denny

Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Also the back of the truck sags about 2.5-3".. I'll put the bags in first and see how that affects everything, then drop the pin box a notch if I need to. I'd rather not raise the hitch unless I have to as right now it fits nicely under the bed cover.

Randy, I know that Rodney didn't feel the airbags helped on his truck, but I can absolutely tell you the difference was night and day with my truck. Yes, I'm band-aiding a trailer with poor weight distribution, 33% pin weight. Thankfully the new trailer is here and should at minimum be easier to move weight around. The ride is so much more pleasant now. Not perfect, but 10X better than without the bags. Also fixed the ridiculous dually squat.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:09 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Randy, I know that Rodney didn't feel the airbags helped on his truck, but I can absolutely tell you the difference was night and day with my truck. Yes, I'm band-aiding a trailer with poor weight distribution, 33% pin weight. Thankfully the new trailer is here and should at minimum be easier to move weight around. The ride is so much more pleasant now. Not perfect, but 10X better than without the bags. Also fixed the ridiculous dually squat.
Actually, I installed bags on my truck last year due to all the hype here about them. Tried all different inflation levels and made zero noticeable improvement or difference. Took them off and send them back to Air Lift under their satisfaction guarantee for a full refund. Now, on my 09 250, they were a necessity without the overload spring...

Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 AM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess that is a nice thing about a 4x2 dually, higher in the butt, so it rides level with the trailer. LOL

I know, I know, it's the only thing, right? LOL