Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Freshman User

old_blue1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
old blue's 1956 f100, 04 crown vic power train and suspension

I have been lurking around for a few months since I bought my f100. I posted a f n'g thread with photos already but here is a quick reminder. 56 f1 no motor no trans, basic roller. Pretty rust free solid truck. Pretty happy with this thing as it sits but havent gone too far in the tear down department.

Fast forward to last weekend where I bought a 04 crown vic. Why you say? I originally just wanted the front suspension that everyone says is only a few hundred bucks. Well, that must have been many moons ago, as people now know what they are used for and even put that in their ads. Best I could do for a complete front end was $650 and thought that was very high. I started to look around for a complete car and found one for $700. So, for $50 more than the basic front end I got a motor, trans, rear suspension and all the wiring I could ever want. It was even a New Mexico police car so it has the p-72 suspension and no pats stuffs.

I believe my plans are pretty obvious and have gone through them for a while now. I understand that peeps say my wheel choice is limited due to the suspension but there is a huge following for the new mustangs which also has a huge subsequent wheel choice. Plus, the wheels I plan on using are pretty 'flat faced' and will look great. (more on that later)

As far as what I plan to take from the crown aside from running gear, is most the wiring needed to run the motor and abs. I am not taking anything from the interior as I want a more nostalgic look for the insides. I am going to run at least one set of cats as well.

I am not sure if it is the p-71 that has this but the oil filter appears to have a some type of oil cooler that runs from the filter to the radiator. I am going to see how the radiator fits in there and if I can use all the power steering cooler and oil cooler pieces that go along with it.

Also, is there a large market for the old parts pieces from the suspensions on these things. I would hate to toss an original rear end if I don't have too.

Some photos to get everyone by.
Day I brought it home. Very excited

Donor car. Pretty decent shape. Got it to run but still needs a tune up.

Started tearing motor down.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Senior User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see a lot of stuff unplugged. Masking tape and a sharpie. Should make for a pretty nice ride once you get it all together. Once you get all your parts pulled you might get 250 for scrap from the shell. More money for the build. Good luck and keep us in the pic's.
I always say",Good work isn't cheap,and cheap work isn't good."
Old 11-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for thr advice. I agree with taping and marking it. it is all getting marked but it is hard to mark it then pull it out and around things with out the tape ripping off. That is all preliminary in the pic. It will be well documented by the time the motor is out.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Elder User

Scot is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am running the CV rear-end also. That way the wheels match. This truck drives exponentially better than it ever did with the Gibbons/Cordoba.

'55 F100. 302, Tremec TKO, '07 Crown Vic PI front and rear end, A/C P/S, 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise, arrest-me red. Soon to get 32 valve 4.6. On the road since 1989.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Unless you are planning on running the large diameter wheels with rubberband tires, the M's popularity isn't going to help much in the wheel selection.
Cop cars are likely to have steering and oil coolers they spend a lot of time idling.
Curious why you want to use the cat(s)? likely pretty craped up and very expensive to replace.
Try using something more durable than masking tape, not durable not meant for long term adhesion without leaving residue. You may think you'll remember where everything goes now, but it will be a different story months or even years from now (these builds take a lot longer than anyone ever imagines, so be prepared.) when it's all out of the original car. There are guys that will weed down your harness, reflash the ecu fairly reasonably, just don't cut ANYTHING!
Oh, just for clarification: 48-52's were designated F1 F2 F3 etc. in 53 Ford change the model designations to F100, F250, F350 etc. Do you have the ownership paperwork to match the serial # stamped on the frame?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old Today, 12:37 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the information. I have done quite a bit of research and this is going to be best bang for buck for me. I cant afford a new heidts front end or narrowed rear with air bags so this is the next best thing for me.
Old Today, 03:44 PM
New User

Johns53f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You will be happy with the CV ifs it's very easy to install. As for tire and wheel there is a large selection to choose from and won't have to run a rubber band tire as stated above.
Old Today, 03:44 PM