1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

avital remote start issue? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Redneckmedic2009
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
avital remote start issue? please help!

hello all, new to the forums, i have a 1997 ford f150 that i just had a remote start and keyless entry remote installed (professionally). the unit put in was an avital unit. the lock/unlock works, and the remote start works (sometimes). what i mean by that is the first time i double press the start button the truck cranks and tries to start but its almost like the remote start cuts out before the truck actually turns over and starts. so it cranks and then the engine dies off but the fan i can hear still blowing for the vents inside but no engine running. i double press the button again (which is supposed to shut the vehicle off when its running) shuts off the fan and the whole vehicle is "off" so then i give it a second and try to start for a second time and the truck fires up. so thats why i say sometimes, the first attempt at starting the vehicle with the remote never works but the second attempt it fires up. its almost like a diesel even though its not. Anyone know why that is? ive tried holding the button down longer that doesnt work. like i said its almost like the remote cuts off too soon for the truck to actually kick over and start. starting with the key has never been an issue.

The second issue which may not be fixable. the unlock/lock works id say probably up to approximately 50 ft give or take... a pretty good distance for my needs put it that way... the remote start though i have to be like 10-15 ft from the truck which defeats the whole purpose, if i have to go outside for it to work in the winter i might as well walk the extra 10 ft and use the key. I plan on calling custom sounds the people that installed it monday as they are closed sundays, but i wanted some input here first that way i have some ammo/evidence that it isnt "my truck" if they try to fight me on it. thanks in advance!

Old 11-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah...call them on the distance issue. As far as needing two attempts, they set the crank time when they install the remote start. If it is set at 3 cranks then stops...but truck no start...it will reboot and try again. Explain this to then and see if they can set it for more cranks. That distance issue can screw stuff up...something is not right in the install.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Redneckmedic2009
New User
Thanks Scott for the reply, so hypothetically if I let it go it will eventually try to restart itself? Or will the fan stay running until the battery dies pretty much?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Most are set up for 3 tries, then that is it. If you press both buttons when it is in a reboot-try mode that is the command to shut down a running motor that was remotely started. But since you sent that command in a "try mode", it shut down the start sequence. If all the programmed number of attempts fall, it will shut down any power it had turned on....which in turn will shut down anything that was "on'. Just go back and run all this past them....they all basically work the same.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Redneckmedic2009
New User
So in otherwords, if it doesn't start instantly I shouldn't worry as long as it starts by the 3rd time? Or SHOULD it start the first time...

Old 11-03-2014, 06:27 AM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Yes. My wife's car never starts on the first attempt....always on the second. My F-150 always on the first try....but the crank time is longer. It's all in the parameters of the program they set up, along with how the vehicle "starts" in general.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Redneckmedic2009
New User
Well thanks for the input man! I'll go out this morning and try that and let it sit and see if it ever kicks over on its own. IF it eventually starts then that's normal and I should be able to just go up there and have them increase the crank time? Will increasing the crank time damage the starter?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Redneckmedic2009
New User
Just tried it spotty. Your right if I just wait it will try to start itself again! Thanks they didn't tell my gf that when she picked up my truck. So if I have them increase the crank time is that bad on the starter or should I just leave it be? Lastly, will they be able to increase range? The door unlock and lock works at about 50 or so yards. The remote start though only works about 15 if that.

Thanks a bunch for actually helping me spot! Appreciate it man!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
If it starts leave the crank time alone....even if it misses the first attempt. 15' is awful. Even the cheapo ones get 75-100'. Might be as simple as an old battery in the xmit, or the receiver antenna not hooked up. Give em' a call.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 PM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
id agree with spotty, although id think the ranges should be the same. i put a crimestopper remote start in my truck, cheapest i could find. IMO it should start on the first time, the only time i have an issue is at -10 degrees. when i went through the installation manual there were settings for how long and how many attemps. i would check with them to see the parameters for your unit. you payed for them to markup the unit and for them to install it so they should stand behind their product. another thought is if the vehicles had anti theft on them? one mine i didnt need the option but read the info anyway. if you have antitheft, the failed first start may be the lag time for the remote starter to turn off the factory Anti theft and for it to actually turn off, the remote start trying to start to early i guess you could say. but after it fails and keeps power everything diables and works as it should.

as far as the range issue, i had a remote start put in my gf car, as a surprise. it was in her car for a coupkle months before she knew it. they left the antenna unplugged and the wire hidden, you had to be right on top of the car to get it to work. after i installed the antenna she can start it inside her office. normally from what ive read, the antenna is supposed to be stuck to the windshield, some will hide it somewhere, but for the best reception it should be exposed. up in the corner you wont really notice it.

i wouldnt be worried about the starter cranking to long, id say its harder on your battery than the starter.
hope it helps