New Fiver On The Way!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Fiver On The Way!

Hello all! Been a while since I have posted. Life, you know! Anyway, we just ordered our first Fiver, Open Range Roamer 384BHS. I ordered I last week and already received an off line date of 11/26. I was not expecting it that fast. They say 6-8 weeks when you order from the manufacturer. Though it is usually a bit more. Being that the dealer we used drives out to Indiana to transport it back, I should take possession of it sometime in mid December.

We are trading our Keystone Bullet Premier, which I cannot wait to get rid of. I do not know what I was thinking in buying an Ultralite TT. Or a Keystone for that matter. I am not happy with the unit nor Keystone Customer Service. They actually fought wit me over a known, common problem with the outside kitchen door! Played it off like they did not know about it. And other issues. No good.

Our first trip is in the end of March. Maiden voyage to Fort Wilderness at Disney! Made this trek many times from NY with one TT or another. This time I should be towing like a gentleman. I think I am more excited than the kids!

I will post pictures when I get it. I am leaving it at the dealership lot for the Winter, as they offer free storage. Be well!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Congrats on the new rig.

Be sure to check it completely when taking delivery. There really is virtually no difference in quality control or warranty coverage between manufacturers. As you likely know, Open Range was purchased by Jayco some months back as the industry continues to consolidate.

RVs are fun, but they all have their problems.

Steve

Old 11-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Congrats on the new rig.

Be sure to check it completely when taking delivery. There really is virtually no difference in quality control or warranty coverage between manufacturers. As you likely know, Open Range was purchased by Jayco some months back as the industry continues to consolidate.

RVs are fun, but they all have their problems.

Steve
That is actually one of the reasons why I bought it, that is was bought by Jayco. We had a Jay Flight prior to the Keystone, and I am sorry I ever sold it! Best TT I ever has. Plus 2 year warranty. When I was doing research, the Jayco units did not suit or needs. However the OR ones did. Imagine my surprise when I saw Jayco bought them!

I know I will have my pen and pad ready for my punch list of bugs in the unit. Unfortunately, as keen an eye I have when we do the walk through, I always seem to miss a few. You really have to live in them to notice some of the deficiencies.

Thanks for the well wishes Steve.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Congrats! I highly encourage at least one shake down trip prior to your Disney trip.

I am sure it will tow great.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree - a night or two in the driveway or a local rv park is a must...

would be bad to be 500 miles from the dealer or on the 2nd day of your two week vacation and it have to go to the dealer for 6 weeks !!!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Agree - a night or two in the driveway or a local rv park is a must...

would be bad to be 500 miles from the dealer or on the 2nd day of your two week vacation and it have to go to the dealer for 6 weeks !!!
Oh come on, where is your sense of adventure??? Lol

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Congratulations on you new 5th wheel. Can't wait to pictures.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Thank you Fellas. I should have mentioned that I am going to have to stay in it for 2 nights anyway. One night, because by the time I get the walk through and hitch installed at the dealer, it will be too late to drive the 300 miles home. And I plan to stay another night near the dealer, just to get everything stowed, and to work out any 'bugs' in the unit. I plan to do this nearest the dealer as possible. The dealership parking lot sounds like a good place to stay! So if I find something, and I am sure to, it goes right back. By then, I will have 4 months until I leave for FL. Also, I do need to familiarize myself with this unit, as it is my first Fiver. It is all new to me all over again. It would be somewhat foolish of me not to 'live in it,' before driving 1200 miles one way! I completely agree.

So I stand corrected. I should of said, the first official trip, with the family, will be NY to Disney in April!

I have been doing this too long (5th unit) to know that I will have my fair share of deficiencies in it. Sometimes, to find the hard to reach ones, so to speak, you have to live in it unfortunately. Thanks for the well wishes Fellas!

I do have one question for those of you with the OEM Fifth Wheel Prep. Is this worth getting? Or are the frame rail brackets, that come with the hitch adequate?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
One other question for those of you towing a fiver with a hitch weight upwards of 3,000 lb with the SRW.
Have any of you installed rear air bags?
Was it because you absolutely needed to because the truck squatted too much?
Or were they installed as a means of added insurance?

I plan on installing the Firestone Ride Rite manual fill for now anyway. I just wanted to see if the truck could tow it without them. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have the prep and it is worth it. I have the long bed.

So you will need a slider. Check on it but I think the reese elite works that. Dealer should know and should offer it as well.

Since you have a SRW I would airbag it. Get the hitch taken care of first, then bags.

My DRW is fine with 3K but all the SRW's and the spring rates need help to stay level.

Also make sure as part of the PDI that you know how to winterize it. Mine takes about 1.5 gal of RV antifreeze.

I have a by pass for the hot water heater.

Right beside that is a hose that will suck the mixture and pump it through out.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I have the prep and it is worth it. I have the long bed.

So you will need a slider. Check on it but I think the reese elite works that. Dealer should know and should offer it as well.

Since you have a SRW I would airbag it. Get the hitch taken care of first, then bags.

My DRW is fine with 3K but all the SRW's and the spring rates need help to stay level.

Also make sure as part of the PDI that you know how to winterize it. Mine takes about 1.5 gal of RV antifreeze.

I have a by pass for the hot water heater.

Right beside that is a hose that will suck the mixture and pump it through out.
It has the hot water bypass and wingcock valve and tube at the water pump. Winterizing should be straight forward. The only difference is the residential fridge. It has an ice maker and water dispenser. I would have to inquire about that. Probably the same as a washer. Disconnect the water, and run the ice maker through 2 cycles.

I was going to get the Firestone bags anyway. As for the hitch it is a Pull Rite 20K Super Glide. I am going to have to install the air bags first before I pick it up. The RV Dealer is installing the hitch.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Shogunles
One other question for those of you towing a fiver with a hitch weight upwards of 3,000 lb with the SRW.
Have any of you installed rear air bags?
Was it because you absolutely needed to because the truck squatted too much?

I put airbags on my dually for 2400 pounds. It sits level at that weight but any more and it's nose up. And it rode MISERABLE before the bags. Granted this trailer was a custom built unit that placed 30% on the pin. I'm excited for my new 5'er to come in and to put my goose back to a normal, pleasant towing trailer.

I'd do the bags. I'd also second Senix's vote for the factory style Reese Elite underbed setup. I love mine.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
I put airbags on my dually for 2400 pounds. It sits level at that weight but any more and it's nose up. And it rode MISERABLE before the bags. Granted this trailer was a custom built unit that placed 30% on the pin. I'm excited for my new 5'er to come in and to put my goose back to a normal, pleasant towing trailer.

I'd do the bags. I'd also second Senix's vote for the factory style Reese Elite underbed setup. I love mine.
The air bags I have, just been lazy. The Reese underbed frame, I am not too sure of. Comes down to dollars and cents now. I know it is a better setup, but if I cannot afford it then.....
I also wanted to buy the heavy duty compressor the Firestones. Just cannot do it right now. $300 here, $400 there, it all adds up. I had Firestones on my half ton. And after using them the first time, I was in the belief that anyone that tows anything should install them!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Enjoy! We're going to Fort Wilderness in January for Marathon Weekend and staying 3 nights. But, we have a lot shorter drive than you do.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by mudfuel06
Enjoy! We're going to Fort Wilderness in January for Marathon Weekend and staying 3 nights. But, we have a lot shorter drive than you do.
Enjoy! That is a big and busy weekend from what I understand. Keeps getting bigger and bigger with each year.

I do not mind the drive. We have been doing it with the TT for years. I broke the kids in early, so they are actually great when traveling long distance. There is very little, Dad are we there yet!

I also meant to ask you all, what kind of fuel economy are you getting towing a Fiver? I know there will be differences because of weight, and other variables. Just wanted to get a round about idea. Someone had told me, actually heard this several times, that you get better fuel economy with a Fiver compared to a TT because of the way it is hitched to the TV. Any truth to that?

Quick Reply: New Fiver On The Way!