1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I messed up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:58 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,703 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll go check out the specs page...

*edit* Looks like hydroboost is DRW only.

I suppose there is only one or two wires running back to the rear differential for the locker? I'll put it on one of the upfitter switches and control it how I want (I'd want to use it above 25mph).
I really hate computers telling me what I can and cannot do.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 AM
DCP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy

I suppose there is only one or two wires running back to the rear differential for the locker? I'll put it on one of the upfitter switches and control it how I want (I'd want to use it above 25mph).
If you get a new truck, everything is ran by a computer. The E-Locker stays engaged at any speed in low range, just find away to fool the truck's computer by thinking that it's in low range all of the time. Lastly, once you start modifying your new truck, kiss your warranty go bye. I know back in 2014, the E-Locker wasn't available on the DRW models.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:44 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DCP
If you get a new truck, everything is ran by a computer. The E-Locker stays engaged at any speed in low range, just find away to fool the truck's computer by thinking that it's in low range all of the time. Lastly, once you start modifying your new truck, kiss your warranty go bye. I know back in 2014, the E-Locker wasn't available on the DRW models.
Thanks! And you're right, there is no locker available for the DRW's. I will have to tip-toe around to keep the warranty satisfied. Toggle switches and relays are wonderful things. I had to put my fog lights on my Dodge on a toggle because the dealer wanted $100 just to plug up a computer to enable them in the truck's computer...

After looking at so many, I'm not sold on the DRW right now. I'd love to have it for the brakes and extra payload/towing. But I can build a F250 with the camper package = F350 SRW, for about $1500 cheaper.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:22 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
The limited slip that is used on the DRW is far superior to the one that the SRW has, there's very little slip before it engages. I'm on my second 2WD DRW and all 4 rear tires dig in whenever needed.

The hydro brakes work great but they take some time to get used to, they are very touchy.

Denny

Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I believe the logic is that spinning the wheels with a locked axle is a quick recipe for loss of control. I had this system in my F150 and never once felt like I could have used it at higher speeds. That's what four wheel drive is for IMHO.

Also agree that 4.30s would be a good choice for you. But don't think 3.73s would be insufficient; the 6R140 is vastly superior to previous transmissions and if you're not planning hauling 16,000 lbs up a 15% grade the 3.73s should do a fine job.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
All the gas motors will be vacuum. Diesels only have the hydro for the DRW's now. .I thought the Ram has gotten some good reviews. Interesting your take on it.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:46 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by senix
All the gas motors will be vacuum. Diesels only have the hydro for the DRW's now. .I thought the Ram has gotten some good reviews. Interesting your take on it.
My 6.2 gas DRW are not vacuum brakes they are hydro brakes just like the diesel.

Denny

Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by rvpuller
My 6.2 gas DRW are not vacuum brakes they are hydro brakes just like the diesel.

Denny

Really, that is great. I was under the impression all the gas motors went the other way now.

Good news.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,600 Likes on 1,640 Posts

*edit* Looks like hydroboost is DRW only.

Just FYI, I have full selectable lockers in my Jeep, i.e., can lock up at my choosing, either axle, or both, at any speed. I have never been in a situation where I needed to lock up in excess of 10-15 MPH. But I am like you... Don't like computer telling me what I can and can not do! Luck to you.
P.S. And I have had said Jeep in some crazy places!

Last edited by Desert Don; 11-08-2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by senix

Really, that is great. I was under the impression all the gas motors went the other way now.

Good news.
I didn't know it was going to be that way when I ordered it but it was a pleasant surprise when the truck came in.

I did some checking the other day and the 250 and 350 SRW share the same brake pads, the DRW has different pads I'm guessing bigger. I'm thinking that the 13900 gwr has something to do with it.

Denny

Old 11-08-2014, 08:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Yes, I seem to recall for the DRW's they increased the rotor/pad size a bit and put an additional cross member under the bed to increase the towing capacity. I could be wrong but I think that was a major change for 2013 model year.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:54 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
The first truck I tested was a 2013 DRW. It had the hydro brakes and they were amazing. A huge difference over the new Fords with vacuum brakes. The steering was also much easier than the other 2015 Ford trucks I tested with vacuum brakes. I assume they use two different PS pumps for each system.

The DRW, although overkill for me, might be worth the extra bit of change...

Old 11-09-2014, 12:31 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
So the dealer says that the incentives I would be eligible for would be whatever is available at time of delivery. Not the time I order it.

With that being said, the $4k in incentives that's currently available expire on 1/5/15. Long before my truck would be delivered. I cannot order the truck not knowing what the final price would be. I was counting on that $4k. Sooo...I guess I'm gonna have to go sit down with them and come up with something concrete. If there's better incentives at time of delivery...great, but if not, I won't be out of my comfort zone...
The dealer wants the $5k down, and an order submitted before they can even give me a price other than an 'estimate'

Oh, and they also knew I was eligible for the X-plan before I even mentioned it. During the test drive, my place of employment came up in conversation, and when we got back to the building, I guess he mentioned it to the sales manager. So I guess that's the price I'd be getting

Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
time to go elsewhere. I would never put 5K down before the conversation even starts.

It is true that the incentives are based upon delivery.

Go to another dealer, have them search for the truck you desire and get it that way.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:11 AM
rvpuller
I agree it's time to go elsewhere, when we ordered our 2013 I only put down $500 down and that was after the deal was done. We were 1600 miles away so I never seen anyone face to face.

Build it online and send it to other dealers and see what happens.

Denny

Quick Reply: I messed up...