1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

hardest job of the build, [ DONE ]

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
hardest job of the build, [ DONE ]

Well today was kind of cool down here in Ga. So I fired up the wood stove and started the hardest , dirtiest , and most frustrating job of the 56 F250 build . I cleaned the shop ! Six hours , Cleaning off the work benches , putting unused parts away , sweeping under benches , moving and cleaning under everything , Throwing away old parts I had saved for patterns , cleaning tools I thought I had lost forever , Putting all kinds of nuts , washers , and bolts back in the bins , Then my 87 year old neighbor showed up, he comes around every day to see what I am up to or have me fix something for him . He also keeps the refrigerator stocked with Coors Light , so I stopped working and had one with him . Not such a bad day after all, and the shop looks like it is ready for the next project . Four weeks to the turkey run , wonder what I could find in Daytona to keep me out of trouble this winter ?

Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here I thought the hardest job was convincing my wife I really needed that truck or tool or part or -- well you get the idea.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
As long as you didn't find some piece you forgot to put back on, call it a good day!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:00 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I just don't understand, Dave, what is a clean shop? Congratulations on completion of the fun part of the job and then the worst part.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
Well today was kind of cool down here in Ga. So I fired up the wood stove and started the hardest , dirtiest , and most frustrating job of the 56 F250 build . I cleaned the shop ! Six hours , Cleaning off the work benches , putting unused parts away , sweeping under benches , moving and cleaning under everything , Throwing away old parts I had saved for patterns , cleaning tools I thought I had lost forever , Putting all kinds of nuts , washers , and bolts back in the bins , Then my 87 year old neighbor showed up, he comes around every day to see what I am up to or have me fix something for him . He also keeps the refrigerator stocked with Coors Light , so I stopped working and had one with him . Not such a bad day after all, and the shop looks like it is ready for the next project . Four weeks to the turkey run , wonder what I could find in Daytona to keep me out of trouble this winter ?
I work untill I'm tired of tripping over air hoses , electric cords and debris. Then I just have to stop and clean up the area. I too find tools I thought I lost years ago.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,835 Likes on 1,835 Posts
My shop is WAAAAAYYY overdue for that monumental task.

Congrats on getting that done, its a major accomplishment

Bobby

Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Since I use the garage as my shop and we park vehicles in it, I HAVE to clean up after every job. Sometimes it takes as long or longer to do the cleanup than to do the work on the truck or whatever...

Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Come on up to NY. Have I got a job for you....I'll provide room and board (+ beer or wine)

Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM
flattie39
Senior User
One of the things I learned in the Corps is that you clean up after yourself after each job. My buddies don't like to work in my shop because they know everything will be cleaned before they can leave. And as far as losing tools, the best way to find a lost tool is to buy a replacement. The "lost" one will jump out of its' hiding place. As a result, I have two of a lot of my tools.

Ken

Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 PM
cokeb5
Junior User
only 6 hrs. To get it clean! Must not have been to bad to start with. Mine is a lost cause at this point.

Craig

Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Now, there's this guy who comes over to my place to pick up an old muffler for his ride and his wife is standing there with him shaking her head and he says "What?" and she says. "I dunno where you are gonna fit that in the shed."
He turns to me and he says, "she's right. I have to open the door and throw it in quickly and then try to close it without everything falling out."
I reckon he might have a bit of a problem getting into his garage.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Well I always knew you guys were enablers, But now your motivaters too. I went and cleaned mine up a bit, well quite a bit yesterday. I can actually park another car in there if I want. Actually had to make room to start work on the new cab anyway.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
well i have been trying to get my garage cleaned up but something else comes up & i have to put it on hold now after reading all these posts i really have to get my butt in gear & get it done

Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad I started the great garage cleanup . Lets get some pictures . After 6 years of working in my shop , I finally hooked up a stereo . The shop is a steel Quonset hut, and I had to put an antenna out side so I used a old whip antenna left over from a 50 Dodge fire truck . Great to have some back round tunes . I even put a set of steel shelves in [ to store more junk ] . Now to get going on a 36x12 lean-to off the side of the barn . Need someplace to get the panel out of the weather .

Attached Images   

Last edited by DR Smith; 11-03-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great looking shop and soooooo clean!!

Quick Reply: hardest job of the build, [ DONE ]