1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Brake Calipers Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Brake Calipers Question

I did a search and didn't find much. Quick question...I have a sticking driver's side caliper. Would you guys recommend a replace or a rebuild? I know rebuild kits are very cheap, but the calipers aren't bad either.

Also, are any of you experienced with the self bleeder systems? What did you guys do that have done this procedure? I'll go today/tomorrow and either get new calipers or get the rebuild kit. Just not sure which one yet.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:21 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Are you sure it's the caliber ?
It could be bad hoses or sticking slides

Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordpride
Are you sure it's the caliber ? It could be bad hoses or sticking slides
Well this is where my ignorance comes in. Hoses look good and not rotted or hard. What are the slides? The drivers side is getting hot enough to smell like burning asbestos and it happened immediately after changing the pads. The were working just fine before the change $&@!?$!! Is thee a way to check hoses?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:37 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The slides are what the calliper rides on. They allow the calliper to move left to right. If they are seized you will burn through one side faster than the other. If you just had them apart and didn't notice anything then I doubt that is it. I pull them apart and lube them up with never seize when I do the brakes. I don't know how you would check the lines. It's probably just good practice to replace them being that they are pretty old.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM
echo95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen to me on my right side periodically. Changed out both calipers and never had an issue since. Pretty easy to do. Good luck.

Vince

Old 11-01-2014, 07:49 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
The slides are what the calliper rides on. They allow the calliper to move left to right. If they are seized you will burn through one side faster than the other. If you just had them apart and didn't notice anything then I doubt that is it. I pull them apart and lube them up with never seize when I do the brakes. I don't know how you would check the lines. It's probably just good practice to replace them being that they are pretty old.
Thanks Nick. I didn't notice anything when I moved the pistons back to put the new pads in. they seemed to move freely with a little bit of resistance. I think that is normal considering you are pushing against the fluid in the line, correct? I could change the lines too I guess. I don't think its a big deal, but mine seem to be in pretty good shape. This truck has never seen a harsh winter or summer, but yeah, they are probably as old as the truck.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 PM
tractoman
Senior User
Have you bled the lines? Could have air or moisture in there causing issues

Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
The hoses can look good on the outside but falling apart on the inside causing a restriction of flow.

Edit: I just changed out my calipers, they aren't to expensive. On my 96 I changed out the brake hoses but haven't on the dually.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:08 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Thanks Nick. I didn't notice anything when I moved the pistons back to put the new pads in. they seemed to move freely with a little bit of resistance. I think that is normal considering you are pushing against the fluid in the line, correct? I could change the lines too I guess. I don't think its a big deal, but mine seem to be in pretty good shape. This truck has never seen a harsh winter or summer, but yeah, they are probably as old as the truck.
Sorry a slight misinterpretation. The slides have nothing to do with the pistons. They allow the whole calliper to move to allow even pressure on both pads. Without the sliders you would only have pressure on the piston side. Now that I think about it though I believe thes systems have more of a pin instead.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:47 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
And with the brake lines they can implode. The inner layer can get a hole and create a check valve so to speak. Not allowing the fluid to return to the reservoir.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
As much of a diy guy I am I have alyays just done reman calipers.they usually blast clean and rebuild cheap enough that if one piston were bad the kits not a great deal.and if the pistons are phenolic...they are junk no matter what. For what its worth the bosses go bad just from age as much as anything. I replaced mine when I first got mine and went completely through the brakes.peace of mind for me..

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Bugsly
New User
had the same thing happen to me several times.....the reason was I kept trying to rebuild them, and it would last for a little while but then boom...started again. Ever since I replaced with new ones...haven't had this happen again in many years...hope this helps

Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tractoman
Have you bled the lines? Could have air or moisture in there causing issues
I have not. I am going to replace the calipers and will do so then, but thanks for the help. If I couldn't afford the replacement, I'd try just this.

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
And with the brake lines they can implode. The inner layer can get a hole and create a check valve so to speak. Not allowing the fluid to return to the reservoir.
Thanks again Nick. I think I'll do calipers tomorrow and see where I am at. I gotta see if I can get the lines when I got to Napa.

Originally Posted by fordman67
As much of a diy guy I am I have alyays just done reman calipers.they usually blast clean and rebuild cheap enough that if one piston were bad the kits not a great deal.and if the pistons are phenolic...they are junk no matter what. For what its worth the bosses go bad just from age as much as anything. I replaced mine when I first got mine and went completely through the brakes.peace of mind for me..
Word A-Ron. I think you're right. Remans are going in tomorrow. Hey, remans rhymes with trans...LOL

Originally Posted by Bugsly
had the same thing happen to me several times.....the reason was I kept trying to rebuild them, and it would last for a little while but then boom...started again. Ever since I replaced with new ones...haven't had this happen again in many years...hope this helps
This definitely helps! Makes my decision that much easier for me. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2014, 11:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Not very many people agree with me Byron but I gravity bleed my brakes. Let them sit awhile, tap with a hammer, open valve and let some out.......repeat several times.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:09 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Not very many people agree with me Byron but I gravity bleed my brakes. Let them sit awhile, tap with a hammer, open valve and let some out.......repeat several times.
I'm way too impatient for that. I use a mighty vac. Works pretty good.

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers Question