Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

November chat & B/S, and stop on by thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:08 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Afternoon all!

I got the Trailblazer apart and the new heater core in. I just have to put it together after lunch. Those fools at the other shop worked on it for 6 hours before they realized they couldn't do it. I've got three hours in it so far and I'm ready to reassemble it. It wasn't even difficult, just time consuming. It makes me wonder what kind of "techs" are out there that they can't even do a simple heater core anymore.

Anyway, I may be over extending myself a tad, but it sure feels good to be productive again. Jeff. Bandit is next on the list. I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:33 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
A buddy of mine who is the alignment guy at a local tire shop was just lamenting the fact that today's trade school graduates have so little actual knowledge of how to work on cars, they got a kid fresh from trade school, top of his class, slow as all get and has several do overs. I'm teaching a kid from collision repair at the same state technical college how the paint chemicals work together, equipment maintenance and how to fit panels. It's a shame they spend the money they do to get such crap educations. I'm a dumb redneck who taught myself most of what I know and asked people smarter than I if I was stumped.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Hug your Veterans Day! Enjoy and celebrate.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
i will admit it has been a couple of years since i went to auto trade schools..... but it was easy for me, since i grew up working on cars ever since i can remember... i do realize the difference between what they used to call a auto "mechanic" and todays automotive tech's ... but i have met some graduates that could not even do a simple carb,starter or generator rebuild or even understand how they worked. i think that is not always their fault as the auto trades schools these days lean more toward diagnostics and parts replacement instead of actual automotive knowledge, understanding and repair.. they should go back to teaching more mechanical design, physics, basic electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic principles

Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
ohhh and happy Veterans days to all you vets out there..

Old 11-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Hey Chip - V10 is a great engine IMHO. The van has the earlier version and runs like a champ.

Happy Veterans Day to everyone who has served our country keeping us safe!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:49 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by whiskey runner
i will admit it has been a couple of years since i went to auto trade schools..... but it was easy for me, since i grew up working on cars ever since i can remember... i do realize the difference between what they used to call a auto "mechanic" and todays automotive tech's ... but i have met some graduates that could not even do a simple carb,starter or generator rebuild or even understand how they worked. i think that is not always their fault as the auto trades schools these days lean more toward diagnostics and parts replacement instead of actual automotive knowledge, understanding and repair.. they should go back to teaching more mechanical design, physics, basic electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic principles
RC, a buddy of mine graduated from Linn State Technical College in 2003, they taught them nothing of carburetors, just plug it in and replace parts. They didn't teach them about the basics of diagnosing an engine when the parts the computer says are out of spec get replaced and that doesn't fix it.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
A buddy of mine who is the alignment guy at a local tire shop was just lamenting the fact that today's trade school graduates have so little actual knowledge of how to work on cars, they got a kid fresh from trade school, top of his class, slow as all get and has several do overs. I'm teaching a kid from collision repair at the same state technical college how the paint chemicals work together, equipment maintenance and how to fit panels. It's a shame they spend the money they do to get such crap educations. I'm a dumb redneck who taught myself most of what I know and asked people smarter than I if I was stumped.
Would that school happen to be Vatterott?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:28 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To our Vet's & still Serving!

Happy Veterans Day....
My hat is sincerely off to all of our men n women that have, and are still working to keep this great nation strong.
And as always I like to say Thank You to our Fire Fighters, Police, n EMT's for putting their life on the line too

Unk Bob

Attached Images    
Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
I got most of the heater core done, I just have an hour or so to button it up tomorrow morning. That'll be a nice little paycheck to get the new truck's windshield and tags.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:09 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Fred at Economy has been out for the last month or so. He had hip surgery and was to be out at least a month.
My guess the other guy, I can't remember his name is probably overwhelmed with work and they got someone less skilled doing the simple stuff.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Trombogon
Would that school happen to be Vatterott?
Linn State Technical College.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by earthquake68
I got most of the heater core done, I just have an hour or so to button it up tomorrow morning. That'll be a nice little paycheck to get the new truck's windshield and tags.
Now put your feet up and rest. I'm painting a Crapmaro hood and another paint test panel for Eleanor. I think we're finally on to the right color.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Originally Posted by *2fords*
Fred at Economy has been out for the last month or so. He had hip surgery and was to be out at least a month.
My guess the other guy, I can't remember his name is probably overwhelmed with work and they got someone less skilled doing the simple stuff.
This has been going on much longer than a couple months. I had no issues with them at all but over the summer, they started dropping the ball. ....and it hasn't been getting any better. I sure hope they get it together because their reputation is taking a beating.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:18 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Eight mixes and sprayouts, I think we finally nailed the original color.

He found the color on the right on the interwebs and is a much closer match to what was on the car. Durn wrong paint code on the trim tag.

Quick Reply: November chat & B/S, and stop on by thread.