1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Quick front axle question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Quick front axle question.

Will D50 TTB spindles fit on a SD straight D50? Can I use this a SD D50 as a swap axle? I found one on the cheap and want to jump on it but it has no spindles.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor'sHammer
Will D50 TTB spindles fit on a SD straight D50? Can I use this a SD D50 as a swap axle? I found one on the cheap and want to jump on it but it has no spindles.
No. If it was that easy EVERYBODY would be doing it instead of spending $1900 from Dynatrac for the spin-free kit.

Also the SD axle spring pads are wider. So you would need a RSK setup for the wider pattern. The you would also want a matching rear axle or have the front hubs machined to the 8 on 6.5 pattern

Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
That's just nuts. I would never spend that much money on a conversion. TTB stays!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lot's of people like theirs.

Find someone close by that has done a swap, they'll likely let you have their ttb for almost free. Cheap spare parts just in case...

Old 11-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
That's just nuts. I would never spend that much money on a conversion. TTB stays!
Then prepare to replace the ball joints every other year or about 25-50k
Alignment every year
pivot bushings when doing ball joints

And the headache of dealing with the TTB in general(lack of turning radius, **** pore ride, etc)

Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
We have gotten aprox 60k from my brother in laws truck. With poly spring bushings and regular alignments it is adequate...not stellar but then again....my 60 is rock solid...

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Then prepare to replace the ball joints every other year or about 25-50k
Alignment every year
pivot bushings when doing ball joints

And the headache of dealing with the TTB in general(lack of turning radius, **** pore ride, etc)
Really? I can agree with some, but I disagree with more. I've owned this truck for just over 5 years. My last set of ball joints lasted past 60k, it's been in alignment for the last two years. I only asked the question above because I found a solid axle D50 that was missing spindles on craigslist for $200. I know now, from this thread that it would cost easily $1000 to acquire the parts to install this axle into my truck. The only reason I was considering it was the gear ratio, but I've since started swapping R&P in my current axles.

As for your maintenance predictions, nearly EVERY issue people have with the TTB has been attributed to poor maintenance, whether it be worn ball joints or steering components, deteriorated rubber components, etc.,etc.... I've been through everything you're talking about here, and still has costed less to maintain than installing another axle. Also, you make it sound like a solid axle swap is the "cure all, end all" to people's axle problems. A D60 has issues just like any other axle, so really it all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.

I will NEVER install a solid axle. It costs WAY too much for little gain. I say little gain simply because my axle pivot bushings costed $50, the leaf spring eye bushings were $40, lifetime alignment was $120 and a set of greaseable moog joints were $80. Thats a WHOLE hell of a lot less than installing a $500+++ D60, which may need repairs itself depending on where you get it and how much you paid, and in the long run, I'm more happy with the TTB anyway. I've owned two SD trucks with D60 axles and while they did have a tighter turning radius, they were hard on ball joints. You want to talk about replacing ball joints every year on a TTB, try owning a SD F350 once.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
SET OF MOOG BALL JOINTS FOR $50!!!

WHERE??????

No need to feed us a PILE of BS

They are $40 a pice for these trucks and are not that good. Actually Moog sucks in the last 10 years

Now, if you shop RIGHT. you can get an OBS D60 for 200-400. I do it ll the time them sell them for 800

XRF ball joints and steering linkage is about 350

Leafs are another 300

So there is a little over 1000 And you don't have to worry about pivot bushings, ball joints or alignments.

OR you can do ball joints, axle bushings, spring bushings and STILL have a crappy ride, and fatigued parts every couple of years. Your choice

Now for the Superduty ball joints. They use the same ones as these trucks do yet weigh on average 1000lbs MORE. That is like riding around with a plow on all the time. And pair that with Moogs crappy parts and you have YOUR problem. (I have owned and maintained more SD than most people get to drive in a life time)

And if the TTB was SO GREAT why even ask about putting crappy SD axle in it anyway?

Old 11-04-2014, 05:12 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
SET OF MOOG BALL JOINTS FOR $50!!!

WHERE??????

No need to feed us a PILE of BS

They are $40 a pice for these trucks and are not that good. Actually Moog sucks in the last 10 years

Now, if you shop RIGHT. you can get an OBS D60 for 200-400. I do it ll the time them sell them for 800

XRF ball joints and steering linkage is about 350

Leafs are another 300

So there is a little over 1000 And you don't have to worry about pivot bushings, ball joints or alignments.

OR you can do ball joints, axle bushings, spring bushings and STILL have a crappy ride, and fatigued parts every couple of years. Your choice

Now for the Superduty ball joints. They use the same ones as these trucks do yet weigh on average 1000lbs MORE. That is like riding around with a plow on all the time. And pair that with Moogs crappy parts and you have YOUR problem. (I have owned and maintained more SD than most people get to drive in a life time)

And if the TTB was SO GREAT why even ask about putting crappy SD axle in it anyway?
First off, learn how to read.

Secondly, you're still over $1000 in on a swap no matter what.

Third, again, if you would have read the post, you would have known that I was looking at a D50 solid axle that was missing parts for real cheap. It was the only reason for my question.

I never said the TTB was so great. I said it was cheaper for me to maintain than swapping for another axle. You would have known this, if you would have read the post.

Lastly, I could care less what you've done with vehicles, much less anything else concerning your life. Just because you've done it, doesn't mean you did it right.

Get control of yourself.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love these threads, lol.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:45 PM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
i live in mass.
i have (3) f350 obs 7.3s
and (1) f250 obs 7.3
if anyone needs parts or the entire ttb for free its all yours.
(im taking it out this weekend)
off the topic....i just realized that my 97 w/ 239k on it still has the original pads and rotors.....and they are only worn about 30%
just wanted to share

Old 11-05-2014, 10:28 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kupiec20
(3) f350 obs 7.3s
Tried to PM you but your in/sent box was full. (I find this board's limits to be the most restrictive of all that I frequent. )

I turned my 4x4 '96 F250 into a 350 by swapping in a '95 F350 D60 and springs.

Recently I lifted it 2" with a reverse shackle kit ( RSK) and superduty springs. Ride improvement was my priority, not lift.

Now I have what I believe is commonly called "tie rod roll". And I suspect many F350 owners (or many with a D60 swap) have this too, but the just think it is worn out steering parts.

Do you have this with your three F350s?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
First off, learn how to read.
I do know how to read

Secondly, you're still over $1000 in on a swap no matter what.
Yes you will have an INITIAL investment of over 1000, but bot a biyearly expense like the TTB
Third, again, if you would have read the post, you would have known that I was looking at a D50 solid axle that was missing parts for real cheap. It was the only reason for my question.
But whey even consider using the SD D50 if your TTB is good?
I never said the TTB was so great. I said it was cheaper for me to maintain than swapping for another axle. You would have known this, if you would have read the post.
Again, why consider the SD D50 if the TTB is good But just to quote YOU
.... I've been through all of these problems with mine and other's TTBs and still wouldn't change them for anything.
Lastly, I could care less what you've done with vehicles, much less anything else concerning your life. Just because you've done it, doesn't mean you did it right.

Get control of yourself.
My bad, you seem to know everything (that is why you came in asking questions)

As for doing it right, YES, I do do it RIGHT or it doesn't get done. PERIOD

Old 11-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
My bad, you seem to know everything (that is why you came in asking questions)

As for doing it right, YES, I do do it RIGHT or it doesn't get done. PERIOD
"But whey even consider using the SD D50 if your TTB is good?"

This statement confirms my initial that you in fact DID NOT read the original post. I found a D50 solid axle for $200 that was missing some parts, and I wanted to know if my spindle assemblies would fit. THAT'S ALL..... You alone have turned it into the mass it's become.

It's post #7, if you can't seem to find it in this "one page" thread.

"Yes you will have an INITIAL investment of over 1000, but bot a biyearly expense like the TTB"

My current, or any of the other TTB trucks I've owned have NEVER had your so-called "biyearly expenses" since they were maintained properly. Actually, the only reason I replaced the axle bushings on my 223k mile truck is because I was worried that alignment issues may become an issue in the FUTURE, and I wanted to be proactive. It wasn't because of a problem or anything else. Also, no matter what consumable parts you replace (ball joints, bushings, etc., etc.), you still don't even come close to the price of a D60 swap. I could rebuild the axle every year for 10 years for the cost of a D60 swap and honestly, D60s aren't magically immune to ball joint wear, or any type of wear axles incur.

So, yes, I did ask a question. Which was whole damn reason for this thread until YOU hijacked it, and turned it into a TTB vs. D60 battle. So yes, you are the problem, and yes, after reviewing several of you other posts, I will be reporting your activities here to the moderation.

Get some help. You really need it.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:12 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
lets stop the bickering please.
all it does is get everyones blood pressure up.

Quick Reply: Quick front axle question.