Sponsored by: Moser

Console Ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Console Ideas...

It's a Thursday night and I'm sitting in my dorm board out of my mind, so I've been thinking about projects for my truck.

For a while, I've been planning on a sound system to my truck, since it doesn't currently have one at all. Where I run into issues is finding a place to stick a sub. Being that I have a highboy, I've got a gas tank preventing me from putting anything behind the seat. In addition, my truck is a manual so I can't do a console.

Or can I?

I was thinking if it would be possible to build a center console that would surround both the transmission and the t-case shifters, so that I could add things like cup holders and a place to put a small sub or two? Since I'm 2000 miles away from my truck I can't just go out and look at it. So, what do you all think? Would something like that be possible, or is there too much travel in the transmission lever to have something like that?

Thanks
Jameson

Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I don't have a manual truck, but I will post pictures later of the one I am building. I believe you can build it around both shifters.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Some ideas to ponder and inspire your sketch during a boring history class:

32 Overhead

32 Floor

Truck overhead

Pro Floor:

68 Stang

Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Or this way, from some fellow FTE members ideas.

Attached Images    
Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Or this way, from some fellow FTE members ideas.
That first one is along the lines of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure how it would work having the shift lever for the transmission too.... I feel like it would take up a lot of room

-Jameson

Old 11-01-2014, 10:08 AM
stocker rocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read ur signature welcome to the wonderful state we call iowa go cyclones sorry bout the hijack but I've been looking for ideas for my 79 also

Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by stocker rocker
Just read ur signature welcome to the wonderful state we call iowa go cyclones sorry bout the hijack but I've been looking for ideas for my 79 also
Hahaha thanks! I love the school so far, but the scenery isn't much

-Jameson

Old 11-01-2014, 10:35 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I guess it hasn't rained enough for you yet, lol. You are in one of the best engineering schools around. Forgot you were going to school there. Make sure you sign in at the iowa chapter.

Sorry haven't gotten the pics up yet, been having some problems with my slow internet connection at home. Maybe some time today.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM
stocker rocker
Junior User
Originally Posted by jgavac
Hahaha thanks! I love the school so far, but the scenery isn't much

-Jameson
Trust me it's out there it took me 35 years to find the perfect piece of scenery lol but well worth the wait

Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Just build it to clear the 4 speed stick movement range. Like that did got the xfer case stick...think funnel edged.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:57 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 4x4slik
Yeah, I guess it hasn't rained enough for you yet, lol. You are in one of the best engineering schools around. Forgot you were going to school there. Make sure you sign in at the iowa chapter.

Sorry haven't gotten the pics up yet, been having some problems with my slow internet connection at home. Maybe some time today.
The engineering program is the only reason I'm here (sure ain't the landscape )

Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Way off topic, but why there? There are a bunch of other engineering schools?

EDIT: What about buckets and a console?

Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Way off topic, but why there? There are a bunch of other engineering schools?
Well, I can tell you ISU was NOT my first choice. I was fully planning on going to Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo. But apparently my 3.6 GPA and 28 ACT score wasn't good enough for them.

I was so set on going there and was confidant that I would get in, that I didn't apply for very many schools. I applied to ISU because their engineering program is a top 25 (cal poly is a top 10), the school is really well established (1858, mech engineering first ever degree awarded), and was in my price range. April rolls around and I get denied from cal poly, so all of a sudden I had to choose between ISU, University of Alaska - Anchorage (applied to get my dad off my ***), and South Dakota School of Mines and Technology ("oh ****" school). I visited ISU and UAA, and UAA was not a good school, so ISU it was.

So far, I like the school. Its a huge place though. The 35000 students is more than half the population of the whole 168 square mile island I grew up on. Like I've said earlier, the scenery isn't much around town, and it gets ****ing cold here in the winter. Which I'm not looking forward too.

--
Originally Posted by teds74ford
EDIT: What about buckets and a console?
I actually hadn't thought of that. I've never been a huge fan of the way most buckets look in these trucks, but there are some that look good. I may go that way if I can find a nice set for a decent price.

Thanks
-Jameson

Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 PM
77_f250_custom
Senior User
Hey now! Go easy on SDSMT! this place is great Honestly, I think the only difference between the two on the important stuff (placement rate, starting salary, etc) is the size of the classes. I love how few students are here. You can get to know your professors pretty well. But ISU is a good school for sure. Either way, hey from a fellow engineering student. Whats your major? Mechanical?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77_f250_custom
Hey now! Go easy on SDSMT! this place is great Honestly, I think the only difference between the two on the important stuff (placement rate, starting salary, etc) is the size of the classes. I love how few students are here. You can get to know your professors pretty well. But ISU is a good school for sure. Either way, hey from a fellow engineering student. Whats your major? Mechanical?
I don't know if I could stand South Dakota. That's what it came down too :P I can barely stand being in Iowa

I am a mechanical engineer. It's my first year, and most of my classes are gen ed. I placed out of most of the freshman engineering courses because of some community college that I did back home during high school. Good with solidworks and autocad!

I'm on the SAE baja team here! I know SDSMT has a decent team, are you by chance part of that?

Thanks
-Jameson

Quick Reply: Console Ideas...