6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM
mattluke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help

hey i got a 2005 6.0 recently and im starting to have problems. just changed the oil with t6 and fuel filters and oil filter all oem. also new ficm. recently i have been having some problems when the truck gets up to temp. it shakes and runs awful when it gets warm to the point that i cant drive it. it will shut down and then restart after a long crank but i have to wait a few mins. this will limp me home... still running like ****. i noticed i have a few small oil spots on the driveway that were never there before the problems started. i dont have a scanner so i went to advanced auto and they told me i have p0263 p0266 p0341 p0403 p0405. those were the codes in the history. the egr and valve have been deleted so thats why its throwing that code. i think it may be an hpo leak somewhere or injector o rings but don't know for sure. ive been searching all the sites and cant find anything about the truck starting after it dies. any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated. thanks also i unplugged icp sensor and it still started and all the problems were still there. i read something on this so i dont know if that will help any.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Is the EGR valve still plugged in? Even with a delete
the PCM needs to see it for the fan to run correctly.
From the P0405 I would say that your is not and needs to be.

Start by looking at the harness I think you may have some
chaffing going on. Look for flat crushed or bare wires. Check
the harness routing. There is a writeup in the Tech Folder at
the top of the forum that will be helpful for you to read.

Sean

Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattluke
hey i got a 2005 6.0 recently and im starting to have problems. just changed the oil with t6 and fuel filters and oil filter all oem. also new ficm. recently i have been having some problems when the truck gets up to temp. it shakes and runs awful when it gets warm to the point that i cant drive it. it will shut down and then restart after a long crank but i have to wait a few mins. this will limp me home... still running like ****. i noticed i have a few small oil spots on the driveway that were never there before the problems started. i dont have a scanner so i went to advanced auto and they told me i have p0263 p0266 p0341 p0403 p0405. those were the codes in the history. the egr and valve have been deleted so thats why its throwing that code. i think it may be an hpo leak somewhere or injector o rings but don't know for sure. ive been searching all the sites and cant find anything about the truck starting after it dies. any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated. thanks also i unplugged icp sensor and it still started and all the problems were still there. i read something on this so i dont know if that will help any.
You have 2 Injector Issues or wire short on #1and #2 the Other is a cmp cam shaft position sensor or wire Issue , under the drivers battery plate is the Harness make sure it's not pinched or chaffed.as Sean has stated plug the EGR Valve back in.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
mattluke
New User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Is the EGR valve still plugged in? Even with a delete
the PCM needs to see it for the fan to run correctly.
From the P0405 I would say that your is not and needs to be.

Start by looking at the harness I think you may have some
chaffing going on. Look for flat crushed or bare wires. Check
the harness routing. There is a writeup in the Tech Folder at
the top of the forum that will be helpful for you to read.

Sean
Well the previous owner did the egr delete and where the valve is there is a sinister diesel blue plate on there so that why I thought they just removed it. I originally thought the egr valve was sticking so I checked it out and noticed the block off plate bolted on. I will look Into the wire chafing but I don't see how that could cause an oil leak and consumption of oil. I lost about a half gallon

Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
You have 2 Injector Issues or wire short on #1and #2 the Other is a cmp cam shaft position sensor or wire Issue , under the drivers battery plate is the Harness make sure it's not pinched or chaffed.as Sean has stated plug the EGR Valve back in.
Cam sensor codes can be caused by the engine not preforming like it should if that makes sense. Sounds like the injector issues are the problem. EGR valve should be plugged in but that isn't his problem

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM
mattluke
New User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Cam sensor codes can be caused by the engine not preforming like it should if that makes sense. Sounds like the injector issues are the problem. EGR valve should be plugged in but that isn't his problem

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
I was thinking the same. I'm leaning towards bad orings I'm hoping they are not just bad all together. I guess I'll have to wait. My local shop can't get it in until next week and I refuse to take it to the dealership so they can throw parts at it and waste my money. I was just looking to see if anyone had similar problems or know what my problem is so I can get a heads up on how much money I'm gonna have to spend. Thanks guys

Old 10-30-2014, 11:39 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Why not do it yourself?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
mattluke
New User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Why not do it yourself?
Usually I do all my own work but I don't have a scanguage or any software to look at icp percentage and what not so I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing is the problem

Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<<<@!1!@>>>
The p0263 and p0266 are cylinder balance codes and I would be willing to bet those 2 injectors need to be replaced. I would also have your dynamic fuel pressure tested, that is the fuel pressure at WOT ( wide open throttle ) anything less than 45 PSI can damage the injectors. One test that you can do that is easy enough is the bubble test, remove the secondary fuel filter and with the filter and cap removed crank the engine over as shown in this video and watch for bubbles in the fuel filter housing,

Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattluke
you didn't say anything about loosing coolant , Just Oil How many qts are in ? 13.5 should be anything more and you get the Notorious Bell housing Drip. If your Losing coolant check the Degus and Y under the degus for cracks, the Heat control arm and all the Heater hoses