Covers and your trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're all set Dave...

No excess room in my cover. We actually had to unzip one side of the back in order to get it to fit - then pulled and stretched to get the zipper back up!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Randy - After doing ours then seeing yours really emphasizes the difference between the high profile, virtually straight roof and our lower profile and roof and very rounded nose cap, The only 'kink' in ours is the ladder which skews the rear of the cover a little bit. I'll try to get a couple photos tomorrow of it at rest for the next 3-4 months after I hitch it up and push it back on its newly enlarged parking pad - 9 tons of freshly shoveled in #3 crushed stone on top of 6 tons of the earlier version of the pad and after that, might even take a day off and work on my '31 roadster.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Know it's not your favorite job, but at least you both are both here to tell us about it and not in the emergency rooms posting about it !!!
That's a win-win

Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
I really like (NOT!!) the ADCO instructions. They say unwad - that's my word - and then reroll inside out and drag it on the roof like a firehose then throw the forward end over the nose and it will almost install itself. Suurree - that works - only in someone elses dreams. I'm sure Randy has some good words for that as well. Dragging up on the roof is fine with a second person guiding the ~50 feet of material, but the rest, dodging a/c's, roof vents, ladders all while trying to maintain your balance on a quivering and crowned roof while following their instructions just wont work. Maybe on a flat roof, TT or MH - yeah, but not on a late model fiver with a fairly aero nose.

I know, I'm whining, but these covers are not an accessory to be taken lightly. They are fairly heavy and especially when new, somewhat unwieldy to handle. They are also somewhat fragile if you snag it as you will end up with a tear. And then as Mr Adams noted, that 12-13' potential for a fall and subsequent trip to an emergency room is not to be taken lightly.

The fall itself never hurts, but that sudden stop against the ground will
From ~13 feet, that's 29 feet per second at a velocity of almost 20 miles per hour and it only took .9/second for you to get there, including acceleration time!!!! Just enough time to think "OH S@#T"

Now, that cover - just made it on our 5er to protect it from our first 1/2" snow dusting of the year

Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work that isn't necessarily worth it

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I watched some YouTube video thatsaid the cover was packaged in an orientation where you unroll it from front to back and then just throw it over the sides... WRONG!!!! It was set to be unrolled sideways and even at that, we found that it had to be spun around to be oriented correctly... Weighing in at a good 40-45# and being big enough to cover half a zip–code, that was not an easy task..

Plus - I couldn't do the roof so my DW got up there (brave soul that she is) ... My neigbor and I assisted with the pulling and cajoling....

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Sounds like a lot of work that isn't necessarily worth it
What do you cover your trailer with?

Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot

What do you cover your trailer with?
Snow. Sometimes ice in the spring

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Randy - can I borrow your DW next year? Mine is good at guiding the cover from the ground and handing me stuff but has a 'glass' back and wont do ladders nor can she pull very hard.

Heck, I wont even do the upper part of the house back roof to clean gutters any longer either - a walk out basement puts it 3 stories up and that 5er seems to get higher every year too.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Snow. Sometimes ice in the spring
Ahhhhh... Got it... The old survival of the fittest thing!

Old 11-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Randy - can I borrow your DW next year? Mine is good at guiding the cover from the ground and handing me stuff but has a 'glass' back and wont do ladders nor can she pull very hard.

Heck, I wont even do the upper part of the house back roof to clean gutters any longer either - a walk out basement puts it 3 stories up and that 5er seems to get higher every year too.
My DW is almost fearless.. She's also a LOT lighter than her DH is....

I don't do ladders and roofs very well... Fell off the top of our two story house when I was a kid. Been screwed up in the head ever since. Mind you I can fly. Planes and even jump out of them without issue - but ladders and roofs are my downfall......

Old 11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
I was into my 70's the last time I installed a cover.Wasn't THAT bad! Threw away the instructions after I read them!! I spread it out in front of the trailer with the back on the ground below the front of the RV. I had a pole on top with a scrub brush attached. Has DW hood the cover onto the brush and pulled the rear of the cover up the front of the RV and pulled it towards the rear while DW kept going side to side making sure the cover slid up the RV correctly. I got it all oriented on the roof then climbed down the RV ladder and did the strapping..... I had already taped bubble wrap on the sharp corners/edges etc. I just didn't do it until I had a sunny, breeze free day to do it....altho a breeze ( not over 5MPH) from rear to front did help.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
If you have an ADCO cover, check the straps after a few days. Mine loosened up a lot just overnight from, I suspect, the cover material just loosening up after being tightly shrink wrapped in the Chinese factory several months ago

Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
A couple photos of our covered 5er:

The wind skewed the front of the cover when the straps loosened up - and between rain, snow, wind and #$%^ cold, I just haven't had the desire to drag the ladder out, climb up there and scoot it back to center --- and may not find that desire this year if it stays nasty.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:38 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Okay, why don't all you whiners just move a few steps South. If you can learn to drawl, we would love to have you. We like to poke fun at Northerners and yes, the southern stereotypes are true. It makes for much less stress when expectations are low! We seldom get snow and what we get doesn't last but a day or two most of the time.

Steve

Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Okay, why don't all you whiners just move a few steps South. If you can learn to drawl, we would love to have you. We like to poke fun at Northerners and yes, the southern stereotypes are true. It makes for much less stress when expectations are low! We seldom get snow and what we get doesn't last but a day or two most of the time.

Steve
If we moved South and drawled, would we have to eat collard greens, fried okra, fatback with navy beans and chitlins?

We tried to move closer to y'all (outside of Roanoke) a couple years ago but it just wasn't to be. Heck, I've even lived in the South (Gastonia, NC and outside of Dallas, TX) but even experienced heavy SNOW and ice storms) both places. At least I live on the opposite side of NY from Buffalo. Our snow is minimal.

Quick Reply: Covers and your trailer