Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 11-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerguy
I don't see that arrangement working well with high winds and rounded edged roof RVs. Those 'studs' that mount on the edges to the gutters will bounce every time there is a strong wind gust and on the rounded edges, pound right through the $$$ rubber roof. But thanks for the link - it can work for some folks.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I don't see that arrangement working well with high winds and rounded edged roof RVs. Those 'studs' that mount on the edges to the gutters will bounce every time there is a strong wind gust and on the rounded edges, pound right through the $$$ rubber roof. But thanks for the link - it can work for some folks.
Seen covers tore from wind, but have near seen a rubber roof damaged by a cover. Guess anything is possible, but haven't seen it.

Steve

Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Seen covers tore from wind, but have near seen a rubber roof damaged by a cover. Guess anything is possible, but haven't seen it.

Steve
Steve - please look look at his link(EZRV) and the hohum video with very little real info it has imbedded. That cover has an aluminum frame supported by the roof edge. It just wont work with a rounded edge RV

A cloth cover itself will possibly rub paint off but that's the about the limit.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Steve - please look look at his link(EZRV) and the hohum video with very little real info it has imbedded. That cover has an aluminum frame supported by the roof edge. It just wont work with a rounded edge RV

A cloth cover itself will possibly rub paint off but that's the about the limit.
Dave,

I think we are on the same page here. I was referring to the standard Addco covers and one other similar I am familiar with. I haven't seen them cause any damage at all.

I do not know anything about this metal framed one and did not understand you were referring to that one.

Steve

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
My ladder and luggage rack caused my last cover to puddle water near the curb-side rear of my roof and caused mold to form on the roof... when I removed the cover in spring I had a real mess on the roof..... I re-primed it after cleaning it and reapplied the top coat but the black still shows though. No more covers for me.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
My ladder and luggage rack caused my last cover to puddle water near the curb-side rear of my roof and caused mold to form on the roof... when I removed the cover in spring I had a real mess on the roof..... I re-primed it after cleaning it and reapplied the top coat but the black still shows though. No more covers for me.
I removed the ladder from my camper and actually have the camper listed to about 7-8 degrees to the port side for better run-off.. I am hopeful anyways...
Was your cover a breathable one like the new ADCO covers?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I removed the ladder from my camper and actually have the camper listed to about 7-8 degrees to the port side for better run-off.. I am hopeful anyways...
Was your cover a breathable one like the new ADCO covers?
Yes, it was a ADCO cover. The "breathable" part is what did me in! The mold went thru to the inside. But to be fair, it sure wasn't supposed to puddle there either.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Yes, it was a ADCO cover. The "breathable" part is what did me in! The mold went thru to the inside. But to be fair, it sure wasn't supposed to puddle there either.
Hmmmm... That doesn't sound super encouraging... I bought this cover specifically to protect against that sort of issue...

I was considering having it Saran Wrapped at a marina, but thought better of it after hearing of boat owners problems with desicant packages not working right etc.. Which leads to mold...

Old 11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
My guess is that water puddled due to no fault of the cover but the fact that ladders tend to leave a low area and often between the a/c and that ladder which RV owners don't expect once the covers have gotten wet a few times. Rain and snow just make it worse. What the covers do is protect against environmental damages - 'dirty' atmosphere, bird poo and leaves that contribute their marks - all of which our previous 5er had signs left over by the original owner with a rubber roof that was never very white in the 6 years we owned it regardless of how many times it was cleaned.

As far as my cover - well yesterday, 25 plus mph winds and even worse today have kept me from installing it. I did get it washed yesterday and have to block the reefer vents, HW heater and furnace exhausts to limit spider and mud dauber nests. Also block the access at the pin box from birds nesting (yep, I have 'suffered' all of those problems). Then all of the gutter spouts need cushioning to prevent cover tears. Maybe tomorrow but there are also several wheel barrow loads of acorns that need to be moved to the woods too

Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Yeah, I could spend more $ on buying beach *****, etc but I am now figuring that all that expense is not going to extend the longevity vs $ enough to cover it every year. Mine is parked between my house (maybe 4 feet away) and the neighbors (12 feet). It is pretty well protected so I ain't gonna spent my retirement on covers. Fixed incomes force one to make decisions we didn't really have to make when working.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah, I could spend more $ on buying beach *****, etc but I am now figuring that all that expense is not going to extend the longevity vs $ enough to cover it every year. Mine is parked between my house (maybe 4 feet away) and the neighbors (12 feet). It is pretty well protected so I ain't gonna spent my retirement on covers. Fixed incomes force one to make decisions we didn't really have to make when working.
The reason I started this thread is that I needed to be convinced that a cover was worth my, for all intents, fixed income expenditure as well. The trailer is a little further from the house - 25 feet, but it is next to the woods. And RVs get very dirty as I found out last year with the now gone Titanium that wasn't covered - but that $379 bucks - sure hope it survives at least 3 winters with 4-5 better yet

Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Dave - while I am not yet on a fixed income, I'm not far off, so I hear you on wanting the best value...
Here's what I figure -
I will prevent most ice from building up around air conditioners and vents as well as the windows and slides.
I will have significantly reduced the amount of UV exposure to the Rubber roof - UV is the number one enemy.
I will have prevented most (hopefully all) bird droppings / nests in the roof and vent areas.
I have added some small measure of security as in it blends in with the surrounding area more than the graphics designs on the trailer.
If nothing else - I know I have done the best that I could, within my means, to protect my investment.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Dave - while I am not yet on a fixed income, I'm not far off, so I hear you on wanting the best value...
Here's what I figure -
I will prevent most ice from building up around air conditioners and vents as well as the windows and slides.
I will have significantly reduced the amount of UV exposure to the Rubber roof - UV is the number one enemy.
I will have prevented most (hopefully all) bird droppings / nests in the roof and vent areas.
I have added some small measure of security as in it blends in with the surrounding area more than the graphics designs on the trailer.
If nothing else - I know I have done the best that I could, within my means, to protect my investment.

Well said Randy. Other than I'm at minimum 35 years from fixed income............If retirement is an option by then.

I was back and forth on the ladder for mine, but I ultimately went for it. I'll have to see when it gets here what the best way to handle that is. It WILL be getting covered. Hell, my truck sits enough I should have a cover for it too----it's always a mess.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
OK - got my cover on and it does look a bunch better then the last one (or at least as good as a 'universal cover' can look. The 34-37'1" cover fits just fine vs what the next would have looked like with 3-4 feet of fabric wadded up in the rear. I do have to say that if my trailer was 38'6" instead of 38 ', there may have been an issue. While it fits our particular version of Montana's(High Country), it may not have fit a Mountaineer or other models with a higher profile. I am pretty impressed with the quality of this cover after having the lighter duty one on the last 5er which lasted almost 3 years.

Oh and it's supposed to snow tonight

I will say that installing cover this it is not my favorite retiree leisure time activity

Quick Reply: Covers and your trailer