General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

New York State inspections

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:05 PM
01' Super Crew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New York State inspections

Is there anyone out there that can answer this question? In New York State, can a vehicle fail a safety/emmisions yearly inspection for rusted rotors ? even if there is still alot of material on the pads and the rotors are still within legal thickness specs? (vehicle is 25,000 mi old)
Thanks in advance for any and all replies!!!

Old 07-17-2003, 05:37 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't the rust go away when you drive it?

Old 07-21-2003, 10:33 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO way- someone's looking to make some money they haven't earned. I could see it if the rotors are cracked or something, but not for rust. Remember, it's a New York SAFETY Inspection, with emissions check if it's a 2001 or older (more than 25 years old are exempt from emissions).

Old 07-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

All rotors will be rusted after a while. They are bare cast iron pieces. The only part that does not rust is the part where the pads rub. There may even be rusty spots on the rotor surface and under the pads when the vehicle sits after a rain but those will rub off quickly.

Somebody saw you coming... They will be telling you that the turn signal fluid is gone and the muffler bearings need replacement next.

Old 07-21-2003, 07:30 PM
01' Super Crew
Junior User

The rust in question is on the braking surface. Its aprox 1" wide and runs in a complete circle/ring around the inside braking surface of both rotors. Its not just patches or spots.
To make things worse my dealer informs me that turning the rotors is covered under the base warranty, but if they cannot turn them far enough to remove the rust before reaching the minimum thickness spec, I will then have to pay for new rotors and the labor to replace them before the truck will be allowed to leave their shop, as replacement is not covered under base warranty after 18,000mi. I am purchasing my own new rotors & pads to remedy the inspection situation, but rest assured I am not done with Ford yet as I can't believe they won't stand behind one of their products that couldn't pass a safety inspection while still under warranty.
Thanks for the replies !!

Old 07-21-2003, 07:34 PM
dtpatt2
Elder User

I didn't think rotors were covered by warranty. Maybe if there was a defect, but I'd be surprised. Turning rotors is just part of maintenance at brake changes.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:05 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?

I got my rotors replaced for free at 35,800 miles due to rotor warp. 3 year, 36,000 mile warantee covers defects in the rotors. It doesn't cover maintenance, but it absolutely covers defects. Something smells fishy in your dealer's story -- contact Ford directly with the gripe (or threaten your dealership you will). Pull the small print of your warantee out and throw it in the dealer's face, if you must. BS like this really pisses me off; give them as much heat as you can!

Old 07-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Scooter29
Elder User

Hey there fans of NYS!!! Yeah, me too! To 01'SuperCrew, I had an inspection done, that didn't pass. The shop, by law has to fill out the form for which it deems the reason for NOT passing. The mechanic and the manager must sign it and then you sign it. You get a copy to keep in your vehicle for ten days to have the repair(s) made. Just in case you get pulled over for no inspection on your windsheild.If you do get pulled over, you show it to the officer, and if you are still within the date of the form, he'll fill out a report and give you a copy, in case you get pulled over again. That way, at least the police won't have to keep filling out forms!!
I doubt that you received a form from the dealer, or you'd have mentioned it. I bet if you take it to another shop, even an inspection station, you'd pass with flying colors. By the way, you show them that form and have had the repairs made, you don't have to pay for another inspection. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!
Talk to you guys later.....

Old 07-24-2003, 03:26 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your rotors should be fine. As long as they are stopping your vehicle. I am curious as to how you didn't drive enough to eliminate the rust. If you want some good rotors, go to summitracing.com and check out their slotted rotors, I hav ethem on my truck and they are great, they are coated with titanium nitride, so they don't ''rust''. They are also warranted against deflection, for life. they don't wear down so they will never need to be cut.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:33 AM
hawk
Posting Guru

call the registry of motor vehicles! here in the peopels republic of Massachusetts the inspection station try to screw ya! afterall it's money in their pockets THE REPAIR THAT IS! they failed my wifes van becuase the rear wiper did not work, she caleld me and told and i told her the guy was smoking crack!!! i e-mailed the Registry of Motor Vehicles and they actually got back to me and told me i was correct!!!!! and told my wife to go back and get a sticker and if the guy has a problem call this 1800# well she went back and the guy said "Yeah right like i'm supposed to belive that the registry said that" " i was just re-certified by them" needless to say the jerk called the number and was told he was wrong!! i wonder how many other people he screwed?

Old 07-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Scooter29
Elder User

It's hard for the shops to offer this service for 14.00 and not make any money. That's why I have my vehicles taken to Inspection Stations, and not shops. I'm an adult and can handle the truth!!! Don't try to get over on me, because I usually do a pre-inspection before I take it in. The total amount of time to do a complete inspection for these EXPERIENCED MECHANICS, is 20 min. tops. Any longer than that, you know they are looking for money!! Talk to you guys later....

Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
ptaylor-01
New User
NYS Inspections - 02 Expedition

I also live in NY state, and have been working on my cars for many years. I prefer to do my own work on my four vehicles, one of them the 02 Expedition XLT.

It is now up for inspection, and, I must say, I have concerns about what the shop will try to sell me this time. 2 years ago I redid all 4 rotors as well as the pads with some decent ceramic from advance auto.

I'm noticing a definite new trend now with me failing inspection for rotors, like never before, and can't help but think it's this lousy economy.
So far, with 2 of my other vehicles this year, the shop has told me I'd failed, due to some "rust band" around the edge of the rotors, which was affecting the total surface area that the pads were making contact with. It was no more than a few mm, but what do I know? These are the state certified inspectors.....right? So, when they failed me on the first vehicle, they of course visited me in the waiting room with a juicy quote to fix all my problems, at which time I said no thanks, just fail me, I'll bring it back in a week since I do my own work. So, I did the brakes all the way around for a fraction of what they'd quoted me, and went back a week later and got my sticker.

My next vehicle did not go quite like that. When they failed me, I told them the same thing, to write it up as failure, and I do my own work, so I'll be back. They said OK, talked with each other back in the shop, then came back to me with a MUCH lower price. I told them to do it with ceramic pads (had them show me the box, and watched them putting them in), and it's a deal. So, they basically ended up doing my brakes for CHEAPER than it would have cost me to acquire the parts at advance auto, PLUS they waived the inspection fee!

My theories:

A. Vehicle 1 really did fail, since they let me leave the shop.

B. Vehicle 2 really did not fail, since they gave me the best deal I've ever had on brakes. They could not risk me leaving their shop with a failure writeup on my vehicle, since it actually did not fail, and if I went elsewhere they'd be screwed if someone else passed me.

C. Vehicle 2 still did not fail, but these guys can give me such a deal since they get some massive discount on brake parts. I really have no insight whatsoever to what these guys pay for parts vs. what I do, so maybe they still made enough money from the deal, since it's such a quick and mindless job.

So, now with my Expy coming up for inspection, I plan to first get in touch with the DMV and see if I can get from them, in some written form, the EXACT parameters for failing brake rotors and even pads for NY state, and bring it with me to this next inspection, and all future ones.

If anybody knows where to get this from DMV I'd greatly appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
you do realize this thread is over 9 years old, and no one that posted in it is even an active member anymore rite?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
you do realize this thread is over 9 years old, and no one that posted in it is even an active member anymore rite?
Too many people finding a post like this on Google and then jumping in without looking at the date. I've seen it more and more.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM
ptaylor-01
New User
9 years later....

OK, OK, I did actually realize after typing my novel that this thread is 9 years old, so maybe it should be retired and deleted.

But, hey, 9 years later, the NY shops are still full of dirtbags telling me stories so I can replace brakes that may not need replacing, so I'd still like to find this info.

Good to see someone actually still looks at this thread, and maybe I can even get a useful response at some point.

Quick Reply: New York State inspections