6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bang your heads for the 6.0 nightmare

Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
With an unplugged ICP sensor the PCM reports a desired pressure reading.

Therefore the reading you see is a fake number from the PCM

Josh

Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
BTW, passenger side does suck to work on. BluePoint has a nice T30 socket that makes it much easier removing the oil rails.

The oil cooler is in front under the intake manifold. The HPOP is in the rear of the valley under the turbo.
Yea I did an oil cooler before years ago, and I cant even see the dam turbo so much crap in the way It is a 550 with a 20 foot dump rack track, that has a plow, 5 yard salt spreader and a/c and every other thing wired into it, so this is not going to be fun, but you are putting me on the right direction, right?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by David7.3
OK Chris The scan tool is telling me donot leave the ICP energized for more than 120 seconds or damage will result, Let me tell ya There is no external leak, there is no smoke so I command the icp closed key on and blow air into the ICP port and I should hear the whisle of air from the leak area?
The leak isn't going to be external. All of the HPO stuff is under the valve covers and in the block.

Pull the oil filter and listen for gurgling in the standpipe.

Other than that, that is about right.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
With an unplugged ICP sensor the PCM reports a desired pressure reading.

Therefore the reading you see is a fake number from the PCM

Josh
Ya Josh I got that, and if it was a bad ICP sensor or something it should start at least with the scan tool reading of 1535 right, I think Chris is putting me on the right track but reps for the help!!!!!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
The leak isn't going to be external. All of the HPO stuff is under the valve covers and in the block.

Pull the oil filter and listen for gurgling in the standpipe.

Other than that, that is about right.
They won't let me add to your rep, but I will get it to ya, Thank you

Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Yea I did an oil cooler before years ago, and I cant even see the dam turbo so much crap in the way It is a 550 with a 20 foot dump rack track, that has a plow, 5 yard salt spreader and a/c and every other thing wired into it, so this is not going to be fun, but you are putting me on the right direction, right?

Go and take a nap first and foremost.

It certainly sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak. Like Josh said, the cam and crank codes can come from cranking on it trying to get it to start.

Pulling the turbo isn't a big deal. Remove the cac tubes, air inlet tube, alternator and it comes right out. You don't have to remove the alternator but it takes all of 3 minutes to remove the belt and alt since my stator is in the trash.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Ya Josh I got that, and if it was a bad ICP sensor or something it should start at least with the scan tool reading of 1535 right, I think Chris is putting me on the right track but reps for the help!!!!!
Yes, it needs over 500psi to start. By pulling the ICP connector the PCM reverts to the default of 1535 like Josh said and it should start, provided there is actually oil pressure there. In your case there isn't anywhere near enough oil pressure.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
They won't let me add to your rep, but I will get it to ya, Thank you
No problem. The 6.0 is a simple creature, nothing to be afraid of.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:06 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Go and take a nap first and foremost.

It certainly sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak. Like Josh said, the cam and crank codes can come from cranking on it trying to get it to start.

Pulling the turbo isn't a big deal. Remove the cac tubes, air inlet tube, alternator and it comes right out. You don't have to remove the alternator but it takes all of 3 minutes to remove the belt and alt since my stator is in the trash.
Yea the Alt is only 2 weeks old, but everything on this motor fights you, plus jumping up 3 feet just to work on it and even getting the serp belt off sucks, I don't know how you feel about the 6.0 but I hate it. I have over 250,000 miles on my 7.3 and it just keeps purring like the ones we have here in the fleet, stock alt. and everything, Dam goverment regs killed a good thing, Sorry just venting cause I'm pretty sure your right and this thing has to come apart and I really don't want to do it, and with winter coming and my boss doing lay off's i'm taking a beating trying to keep up with broken equiptment.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
No problem. The 6.0 is a simple creature, nothing to be afraid of.
I dont want to put you on the spot but what do you think is leaking on this?
It only has 58,500 miles on it, I know the guy's beat it to death, there short staffed and the other day snapped a loader blade, 3/4 plate steel? nobody knows how it happened!!!!! So I dont blame the motor, there is too much truck for this engine, and with the guy's here nothing suprises me any more, but before I do tear into this, I need to talk with my boss and let him know around about price and time out of service, and I wont put that on you but can you suspect something or no I do the service on the trucks the oil is always full and clean, never over heated what could have happened. this was a nice truck.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Yea the Alt is only 2 weeks old, but everything on this motor fights you, plus jumping up 3 feet just to work on it and even getting the serp belt off sucks, I don't know how you feel about the 6.0 but I hate it. I have over 250,000 miles on my 7.3 and it just keeps purring like the ones we have here in the fleet, stock alt. and everything, Dam goverment regs killed a good thing, Sorry just venting cause I'm pretty sure your right and this thing has to come apart and I really don't want to do it, and with winter coming and my boss doing lay off's i'm taking a beating trying to keep up with broken equiptment.

You hate it because it is new and is frustrating you. Trust me, they are simple. Stop and take your time before doing anything and you will find that it is quite easy to work on.

Nah, government regs created a good thing.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I dont want to put you on the spot but what do you think is leaking on this?
It only has 58,500 miles on it, I know the guy's beat it to death, there short staffed and the other day snapped a loader blade, 3/4 plate steel? nobody knows how it happened!!!!! So I dont blame the motor, there is too much truck for this engine, and with the guy's here nothing suprises me any more, but before I do tear into this, I need to talk with my boss and let him know around about price and time out of service, and I wont put that on you but can you suspect something or no I do the service on the trucks the oil is always full and clean, never over heated what could have happened. this was a nice truck.
What year is the truck?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Sorry Chris it's a 2005

Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Did it just not start or did it die last time the truck was used?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:49 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Did it just not start or did it die last time the truck was used?
It died! I was told by the driver it lost power, no smoke just shutoff and they coasted onto the shoulder of a major 6 lane highway on a bridge, I went out with the service truck, Had good fuel, air, good crank had to hook it into the shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bang your heads for the 6.0 nightmare