6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM going out

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 PM
sscarboro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FICM going out

OK, just had new head gaskets and ARP studs installed under the Ford ESP (of course I supplied the studs) now the FICM is starting to fail. My Edge Insight is reporting a 41.5 to 43 volt reading at startup until it has warmed a tad. Then it fluctuates between 46.5 to 48 when the engine has been running for a couple of minutes. No codes in the computer yet but I would rather not chance getting caught some where between lost and found with a non functioning truck. Since the thing is "in spec" when the truck is running and there is no code, the dealer won't do anything yet. Beside that, I don't want to put another stock part in there just to have to go thru this again down the road. Therefore I have decided to pony up the cash and do the repair myself.

My reading here and elsewhere tells me that FICMrepair.com is the place to go, so here is the question I have for you guys..... If I order a unit with the EcoTune will I run afoul of Ford if I have another repair down the road? I still have about 8K miles left on my current ESP. The truck is an 07 with 74,000 on the clock and has recently had the stand pipes, STC fitting, Blue Spring, dummy plugs & EGR & oil coolers done.

I tow a 34 ft 5th wheel that weighs in at almost 12,000 loaded to go.

Also, is it better to ship my unit in or to cross ship a replacement unit, I really don't like the idea of not having my truck for a week or two.

Currently the only mod on the trucks engine is a coolant filter and the ARP studs, all else is bone stock.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sscarboro
OK, just had new head gaskets and ARP studs installed under the Ford ESP (of course I supplied the studs) now the FICM is starting to fail. My Edge Insight is reporting a 41.5 to 43 volt reading at startup until it has warmed a tad. Then it fluctuates between 46.5 to 48 when the engine has been running for a couple of minutes. No codes in the computer yet but I would rather not chance getting caught some where between lost and found with a non functioning truck. Since the thing is "in spec" when the truck is running and there is no code, the dealer won't do anything yet. Beside that, I don't want to put another stock part in there just to have to go thru this again down the road. Therefore I have decided to pony up the cash and do the repair myself.

My reading here and elsewhere tells me that FICMrepair.com is the place to go, so here is the question I have for you guys..... If I order a unit with the EcoTune will I run afoul of Ford if I have another repair down the road? I still have about 8K miles left on my current ESP. The truck is an 07 with 74,000 on the clock and has recently had the stand pipes, STC fitting, Blue Spring, dummy plugs & EGR & oil coolers done.

I tow a 34 ft 5th wheel that weighs in at almost 12,000 loaded to go.

Also, is it better to ship my unit in or to cross ship a replacement unit, I really don't like the idea of not having my truck for a week or two.

Currently the only mod on the trucks engine is a coolant filter and the ARP studs, all else is bone stock.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
Your FICM is not in spec, anything below 45 volts at anytime is below spec. I would have ford cover it under the ESP and when the ESP has run out send it to Ed at Ficmrepair.com for some lovin. You also need to have your batteries load tested separately ( completely disconnected from one another ) and have the alternator checked out as low system voltage will damage the new FICM.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 PM
sscarboro
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Your FICM is not in spec, anything below 45 volts at anytime is below spec. I would have ford cover it under the ESP and when the ESP has run out send it to Ed at Ficmrepair.com for some lovin. You also need to have your batteries load tested separately ( completely disconnected from one another ) and have the alternator checked out as low system voltage will damage the new FICM.
Well when I get to the dealer it shows in spec. Battery voltage is12.1 key on engine off, and when running bat voltage is 13.6 to 14.1.

Steve

Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well when I get to the dealer it shows in spec. Battery voltage is12.1 key on engine off, and when running bat voltage is 13.6 to 14.1.

Steve
Well that sucks. Do you have any weak batteries laying around to help speed up it's death?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Demand the dealer run the test on a cold start:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...10-12-6-a.html

Josh

Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Demand the dealer run the test on a cold start:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...10-12-6-a.html

Josh
The cold start is the way you would see low Volts as Josh has stated , when the truck warms a bit the volts raise, need a New Ficm ASAP before the Injectors take a hit. and it's not hard to replace If your doing the work just make sure the rubber grommet's ( anti shock)are in place and the connections snap all the way in P.s hence the Block heater plugged in will also help heat the ficm.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
The cold start is the way you would see low Volts as Josh has stated , when the truck warms a bit the volts raise, need a New Ficm ASAP before the Injectors take a hit. and it's not hard to replace If your doing the work just make sure the rubber grommet's ( anti shock)are in place and the connections snap all the way in P.s hence the Block heater plugged in will also help heat the ficm.
As everyone here has stated, there is no reason that Ford shouldn't honor your service plan coverage. While of course I want your business, it would be wrong to take it. The techs know that they need to test the FICM stone cold to get it to act up. I'd just leave the truck with them overnight so that it is as straight-forward for them as possible, explaining things to the service advisor as necessary. They should hook it up to IDS in the lot and go.

Of course, if following your acquisition of a replacement unit from them, you wanted a tune on that shiny new module, we'd be all about helping you out!

If you are running an older tune now, Ford is going to give you the latest rev - something not many are fans of due to the lack of net throttle response and worse fuel economy that nearly always results.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 AM
sscarboro
Senior User
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
As everyone here has stated, there is no reason that Ford shouldn't honor your service plan coverage. While of course I want your business, it would be wrong to take it. The techs know that they need to test the FICM stone cold to get it to act up. I'd just leave the truck with them overnight so that it is as straight-forward for them as possible, explaining things to the service advisor as necessary. They should hook it up to IDS in the lot and go.

Of course, if following your acquisition of a replacement unit from them, you wanted a tune on that shiny new module, we'd be all about helping you out!

If you are running an older tune now, Ford is going to give you the latest rev - something not many are fans of due to the lack of net throttle response and worse fuel economy that nearly always results.

Thanks Ed. I did call my dealer yesterday and they said that they will check it out and can replace it even though the problem only shows up on a cold engine.. Will be taking it in on Friday. I will give serious consideration to sending it in for a tune when I get it back. I think I probably already have a newer tune since it does tend to have sluggish throttle response.

Steve

Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Ed. I did call my dealer yesterday and they said that they will check it out and can replace it even though the problem only shows up on a cold engine.. Will be taking it in on Friday. I will give serious consideration to sending it in for a tune when I get it back. I think I probably already have a newer tune since it does tend to have sluggish throttle response.

Steve
It's GREAT news that Ford is taking care of you. Awesome!

If we can help you out with the tune, let us know!