6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

The 6.2L is a turd...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, it is the tranny shifting strategy. Feels funny at first, but this truck is set up to work and work every day, not set for drag racing

You'll understand it after a while

Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 AM
katoom400
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
yes, it is the tranny shifting strategy. Feels funny at first, but this truck is set up to work and work every day, not set for drag racing

You'll understand it after a while
well, I get the "shift strategy", but when I floor it, it downshifts like it should, the rpm climbs to 5k, the engine is making plenty of noise. but I'm not feeling it? then at other times I moderately put my foot into the go pedal and I can feel it pull strong. the only way to describe it is as if the tranny is slipping.

and it's not just my truck, every 6.2 I test drove behaved the same way.

I don't drive like that all the time, so it's not really a problem, just wondering how it's going to tow when I put my foot in it?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Detailjohn
Freshman User
Actually when towing you Don't put your foot in it! Your towing xxxxxlbs!
If you drive right you won't need to put your foot in to it.

Most people tow to fast anyways!!

Your need for speed is a Mustang GT500!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailjohn
Actually when towing you Don't put your foot in it! Your towing xxxxxlbs!
If you drive right you won't need to put your foot in to it.

Most people tow to fast anyways!!

Your need for speed is a Mustang GT500!
X2

These are 7,500#+ trucks after all and that's not counting what's might be behind you towing.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:57 PM
katoom400
Junior User
Originally Posted by scraprat
X2

These are 7,500#+ trucks after all and that's not counting what's might be behind you towing.
It's not about a need for speed. I don't expect a superduty to drive like a sports car, I just want to know what the heck it's doing when I do step on it.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 PM
BigMix
Senior User
katoom400- From what I can tell, part of the problem is when you jam the skinny pedal down and it revs up to 5K+, it has more to do with the computer and it trying to learn your driving style. It almost acts like it is second guessing what you want it to do.

I drove around for a week just puttering along in no real hurry. The engine and tranny did everything very smooth. The next week I was in a hurry got behind a Sunday driver on a Monday. I punched it to get around him. Engine rev'd very high and loud, but I could barely pass the guy until I let off the pedal just a bit and then it took off. For the rest of the week I continued to try to get it to reproduce the problem. It didn't until I drove very slow and controlled for a long period of time then tried it again. I went right back to the same scenario.

When pulling I have never had this problem. I try not to get in those situations as often while pulling, however when I need to that truck will ****** that trailer around with ease.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dave7200
I have to agree with the last poster as well. I got my 2015 f350 with the 6.2 engine and 4.30 gears in the beginning of November. The first time I stepped on the pedal hard I was shocked, I read this motor has almost 400 hp. How on earth can it do so little when you step on it? After driving it for a few months I have come to the same conclusion, when you put it to the floor the rpm’s just sail right up to 5000 rpm but the vehicle doesn’t jump like say my wife’s 2012 Silverado that has less horse power. I think the torque converter is slipping or its not locking up or the tranny is slipping, it has to be one of them. The engine is just screaming but very little is happening. I’d love to drop this motor into something with an old school tranny and see what it does. I don’t think the motor is a turd though something else is going on here. Why they would do that is beyond me.
I test drove a 2015 f250 with a 6.2 before I ordered mine. The truck had no problem breaking the rear tires loose while moving, and acceleration was very strong! It didn't match the pull of my ecoboost f150, but I remember thinking it was pretty good for a truck weighing 1000# more.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 PM
rokondon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Agreed! I think it was in the "2015 Superduty design team" thread, the engineers specifically said that they design the transmission to run the engine to near-lugging conditions as much as possible before down shifting. The sole purpose is for fuel economy numbers...
Not to mention the dimwits that buy these trucks only to pick up a couple gallons of paint from HD once a month...they want them to ride and drive like their Prius sitting in the driveway with all the luxury features of a Bently.

I know I keep comparing this truck to my 7-y/o Dodge....but dang...that Dodge still feels like a truck. I never have to go over 3k RPM unless towing something heavy. It pulls strong from 1500 RPM and up. There is real throttle response that will put you back in the seat, and a transmission that is pretty decent. It might only have 345hp and 375ft-lbs, but it's much more useable than the Ford's from my limited experience.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I don't think it's wise for trucks to keep getting heavier with bigger tow ratings, while the engines get smaller with higher redlines. Towing at 5000 RPM's within the trucks capacity should never be acceptable as "normal" these days.
Ford is going backwards with their 6.2, and using the new transmission as a Band-Aid. Yeah, sure, compare the 6.2 to the 5.4 and it looks great on paper. Compare it to the V10 on paper and in the real world and it's no wonder that the V10 owners are upset...

I firmly believe that Ford put this engine out and dropped the V10 just to boost the sales, and extra $8-10k upcharge of their diesels.
The V10 still had so much more potential. Can you say 7.2L with 420HP and 500+ft-lbs? Easy! But that would have taken a big bite out of their diesel sales

dkf...I have thought about a tuner for this truck if I end up with it. I will wait for the warranty to run out, but it definitely needs some help afterwards.
I've been searching every car dealership on the east coast that comes up in a Google search. Seems like the only V10's out there are automatic 2WD's.
Finding one in a 4WD dually will be tough. Finding one in a regular cab will be near impossible. And finding one with that manual behind it....hell, I'd be better off trying to breed a rhino and a horse to create a unicorn!
LOL......weird rant.. kooky.i do love the v10.. i wish it was in all the junky diesel no start school busses i work on they suck

Old 02-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rokondon
LOL......weird rant.. kooky.i do love the v10.. i wish it was in all the junky diesel no start school busses i work on they suck
X2 the rant assessment. Kids love no start school busses!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 AM
radar_ridr
Senior User
Why in the world would they prevent WOT until 4500? More of the "de-tuning to prolong engine life in a work truck"?

Anyway, unladen, my '12 SC SB shifts to the proper gear and puts me back in my seat every time I floor it -- right up to 80 or 90, then my own mental safety devices start to engage and I let up... but watch this:

...he seems to do OK even pulling 8000#...

Only a few times, when I have quickly pressed the gas almost to the floor, it downshifts about 2 gears, makes a lot of noise, but doesn't go anywhere - as if the downshift just revved the engine up above its torque peak, without the full throttle it needs to do any good up there. Well, anytime you have a computer making a decision based on god knows how many input sources, it's going to screw up sometimes. Bottom line is, whenever I stomp on it with passengers along, they are always impressed. And it sounds great going right up to redline.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by radar_ridr
Why in the world would they prevent WOT until 4500? More of the "de-tuning to prolong engine life in a work truck"?

Actually, I think it has more to do with saving the driveline, U-joints, etc, than the engine. Too many asphalt commandos and mall ninja's not happy unless they're doing burn outs at every intersection, then taking the truck in and raising hell because the U-joints pulled out of it in 20K miles. And constantly mashing the pedal to the floor from a standing stop while heavily loaded is just bone crushingly stupid. Plan on a whole bunch of close personal time with your mechanic changing out driveline components.

This is feels too much like a troll thread to me, and I've resisted commenting in it. Just too much BS. I've ridden in and driven V10 trucks, empty and fully laden. there's not enough difference between them and the 6.2 to get your panties so wadded up about. My 6.2 is bone stock, and has all the power I could ask of it. It's not a sports car or a top fuel dragster, it's a work truck. Mine will set you back in the seat at any speed up to too fast on the interstate. But I'm also not one to turn off the traction control and boil the rear tires at every intersection either. The truck will do it, but I'm a grown up, not a kid.

The new trans is awesome. Best truck auto trans I've ever driven, beats the hell out of the GM auto my father had in his duramax.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Slowpoke Slim... well said.

Either some of these guys are old men trying to relive their youth and can't afford a sports car or the younger guys that haven't quit matured yet and watching to many car shows thinking trucks should move like sports vehicles when still stock. I still own my 2008 V10 w/4.30 gears pulling my 14k 5th wheel around the country and have a 2012 6.2 w 3.73 gears and either one will get up go if you mash the gas and even trying to pass someone. Will it do it like a car NO it truck.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Slowpoke Slim... well said.

Either some of these guys are old men trying to relive their youth and can't afford a sports car or the younger guys that haven't quit matured yet and watching to many car shows thinking trucks should move like sports vehicles when still stock. I still own my 2008 V10 w/4.30 gears pulling my 14k 5th wheel around the country and have a 2012 6.2 w 3.73 gears and either one will get up go if you mash the gas and even trying to pass someone. Will it do it like a car NO it truck.
2X

I've driven a lot of trucks over the years, from 1978 every gas motor Ford has come up with in a truck and the 6.2 is a great motor.

Denny

Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, The following is my opinion for what it's worth...take it or leave it.

I have driven the 6.2, matter of fact I have posted in the past that it feels like a gutless pig. Now my last gas powered Superduty was a V10, but it had the 6 speed manual which that combination was an all different animal. More of a Unicorn of sorts, almost mythical. I sure miss that truck.

Anyway as some of you know I still find myself sitting on the fence as to whether I should leave the 6.7 PSD and step over to the 6.2 gas engine. Both have there Pro's and Con's. Of course the PSD does offer the HP/TQ of the diesel, which on seat of the pants value is difficult to over look. The 6.2 the simplicity of a naturally aspirated gas engine when properly matted up to the correct gear ratio is a more than towing beast of a machine.

But, the one bug in my britches that seems to chap my hide is the heading of this thread calling the 6.2 a "Turd". Which it certainly is not a "Turd". It is more of a misunderstood powertrain not unlike the V10 was. It is a truck engine, designed to work, and deliver years of a working lifetime. It is computer controlled, yes it is programmed to learn your driving habits, but lets face it everyone has plenty of bad habits that need to be rained in from time to time. You not only need to allow the truck to learn your habits, but you need to learn the habits of the truck. Know what to expect and then use it in that manner.

So to me, a PSD owner, I feel that there is no way the 6.2 deserves to be called a "turd" as I see it as more of a Gem that is under valued by too many who don't know how to appreciate it's abilities.

Stepping down from my Soap Box, Sermon over. If you don't agree with me or feel I am wrong I can live with that.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:05 PM
radar_ridr
Senior User
Slowpoke Slim, I figured this was a troll also but eventually had to say something.

Your user name ("handle" to all of us old-timers) makes me think of how my brother is always joking about my grandpa-driving. But every now and then on the right piece of straight road I will warn the passengers and let it really unwind - not from a stop - and soon everybody is gripping their grab handles and yelling at me to ease up.

Quick Reply: The 6.2L is a turd...