6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

The 6.2L is a turd...

Old 10-30-2014, 07:07 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6.2L has a lot of potential that Ford, unfortunately, has yet to take advantage of. It doesn't suffer from a lot of the design handicaps that the V10 suffered from (being essentially a forced oversize Mod-motor).

I'm hoping that we'll see some changes to the Boss engine once the new Superduty is released. Now that GM has their new Ecotec3 engine and Ram has their new 6.4L, Ford knows exactly what the competition has up their sleeve and can adapt appropriately. It wouldn't take much, an aluminum block and a bump to 6.6L would be easy, yet massive, improvements. It could allow them to drop the 6.8L completely.

One thing I have to say though, is that I am highly impressed with the 6.2L's reliability. My BIL has a landscape supply company where they run a fleet of 6.2L F250's. A few are over 140,000 miles now with nothing more than regular maintence. None of the issues that plagued the 5.4L/6.8L have popped up. Impressive considering they move 2000-3000lbs in the bed almost daily.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 PM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
The 6.2L has a lot of potential that Ford, unfortunately, has yet to take advantage of. It doesn't suffer from a lot of the design handicaps that the V10 suffered from (being essentially a forced oversize Mod-motor).

I'm hoping that we'll see some changes to the Boss engine once the new Superduty is released. Now that GM has their new Ecotec3 engine and Ram has their new 6.4L, Ford knows exactly what the competition has up their sleeve and can adapt appropriately. It wouldn't take much, an aluminum block and a bump to 6.6L would be easy, yet massive, improvements. It could allow them to drop the 6.8L completely.

One thing I have to say though, is that I am highly impressed with the 6.2L's reliability. My BIL has a landscape supply company where they run a fleet of 6.2L F250's. A few are over 140,000 miles now with nothing more than regular maintence. None of the issues that plagued the 5.4L/6.8L have popped up. Impressive considering they move 2000-3000lbs in the bed almost daily.
A good reliable long lasting motor transmission combination is what I was looking for not a stop light to stop light racer.

Denny

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read a few threads that tend to down the 6.2 I think it's a great engine and as mentioned earlier a lot has to do with the adaptive learning. I bought my truck brand new in 2012 and drive it fairly easy for the most part to get decent mpg...... I avg 13.5-14 mpg mixed

I now have 25k on the clock and it has been problem free....... As far a power and sluggish feeling I don't see it. The way I drive the truck has something to do with it. As I said I am easy on the gas but once I get to just under a quarter tank of fuel the skinny pedal will see the floor a bit and I get more aggressive with the take off. This keeps the truck shifting nicely but driving it easy up to that point keeps my mpg tolerable.

I never understood how anyone could think this engine is weak..... My truck is a cc 4x4 lariat with 3.73's so it heavy but it will pin you in the seat. When the truck was fairly new the wife and I were coming back from dinner and I set the left over container on the little flat space area on the dash..... We were cruising maybe 15-20 and I stood on it with the skinny pedal to the floor...... It down shifted instantly and left so hard it slung the container off the dash making a mess! I was so impressed and shocked on how it pulled I didn't care about the mess lol!

I also pull a 9k trailer when I go to the track........ And like Denny mentioned the truck will only see 4,500k Rpm if I want it to. It accelerates my trailer plenty fast in traffic without ever seeing high rpm and cruising it does it in 6th gear at 65 mph all day no problems.

I did tow in Tennessee and the engine saw some rpm when I was decelerating in tow haul mode........ Trying to hold the truck back it was screaming!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,314 Posts
Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

I'm going to talk to them for the last time today. If it works out, it works out....if not, oh well.
I do see 4.30's or 4.56's in the future though.
And a tuner....
And exhaust....
And wheels....
And ....

It's a sickness!

I need another truck like I need another hole in the head...

Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Does anyone run around in Tow/Haul mode all the time....even empty?

I'm just wondering how it would act in T/H with 6th, or even 5th & 6th locked out for daily driving.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy

I'm just wondering how it would act in T/H with 6th, or even 5th & 6th locked out for daily driving.
Never tried it, the only time I use TH is coming into and leaving towns when towing. I'm guessing that unless you are really getting on it you wouldn't notice that much difference, even pulling in town unless you really get on it hard in the lower gears I can't tell it's on but when you accelerate to come up to hwy speed is when you notice it.

Denny

Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Amelio

I did tow in Tennessee and the engine saw some rpm when I was decelerating in tow haul mode........ Trying to hold the truck back it was screaming!
One really irritating thing mine does is downshift when the CC is set going down hill, I spent the money on fuel to get up the hill so I turn it off to take advantage and coast going down unless it's really a good grade then I go to manual.

Denny

Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

I'm going to talk to them for the last time today. If it works out, it works out....if not, oh well.
I do see 4.30's or 4.56's in the future though.
And a tuner....
And exhaust....
And wheels....
And ....

It's a sickness!

I need another truck like I need another hole in the head...

So first you thought it was a turd and posted about how disappointed you were, and now you want to buy one?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run in tow haul most of the time, I like the shift pattern better. Easier on brakes when slowing down also.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

The 6.2L has been a great engine that we have tuned for approx the last 10 years. It's been very reliable but I agree that there has been a ton of potential left on the table. We have tuned several of our own 6.2L trucks and they are night and day. Happy to hear that several of yours have broke the 140k mark with no issues!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
178000 on mine. No issues. Works hard everyday as a hot shot rig. Wanna go faster? Buy a Shelby gt 500.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i thought the 6.2 made the v10 look like a snail?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot

Old 10-31-2014, 05:58 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skip1970
i thought the 6.2 made the v10 look like a snail?
The 6.2L breaths better than the 6.8L, so it continues to make power up higher in the rpm range. This means, unloaded and with similar gearing, it tends to outrun the v10.

Where the V10 wins, is low end torque. It makes around 50 more ft-lbs at 1200rpms lower. That's noticable in how the truck drives, especially when you put a big load behind it. You don't need to rely as much on gearing and RPMs to get that load moving and keep it moving.

The 6.2L simply needs more torque throughout the RPM range to truly replace the 6.8L in all applications. The easiest way to do that would be to increase displacement. It's possible to do it other ways though, depending on what Ford finds to be most effective as it relates to fuel economy, reliability, cost, ease of production, emissions regulations, etc. It's a fine balancing act.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
The 6.2L breaths better than the 6.8L, so it continues to make power up higher in the rpm range. This means, unloaded and with similar gearing, it tends to outrun the v10.

Where the V10 wins, is low end torque. It makes around 50 more ft-lbs at 1200rpms lower. That's noticable in how the truck drives, especially when you put a big load behind it. You don't need to rely as much on gearing and RPMs to get that load moving and keep it moving.

The 6.2L simply needs more torque throughout the RPM range to truly replace the 6.8L in all applications. The easiest way to do that would be to increase displacement. It's possible to do it other ways though, depending on what Ford finds to be most effective as it relates to fuel economy, reliability, cost, ease of production, emissions regulations, etc. It's a fine balancing act.
Well said

I find that the 6.2L is a good replacement for the 5.4L. Ford has not found a replacement for the 6.8L yet...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 6.2L is a turd...