Sponsored by: Moser

1979 F150 4x4 Build (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 AM
BKSMN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Normally referred to as a "sport" or a "3 spoke" steering wheel. I believe a Mustang, Mustang II, Maverick, Fairmont and even a Pinto had them.
That is true, however a lot of those listed (don't know which exactly) didn't have the horn on the steering wheel, but rather on the dash. So there are no horn connections on the steering wheels off of those models

Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM
FordRebel77
New User
Awesome Truck! Lots of hard work going into her. I noticed the SD plates, where you from? I am a South Dakota resident from Box Elder myself currently stationed up in WA state with the Navy. I have a '77 F150 4x4 with a 400.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:13 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordRebel77
Awesome Truck! Lots of hard work going into her. I noticed the SD plates, where you from? I am a South Dakota resident from Box Elder myself currently stationed up in WA state with the Navy. I have a '77 F150 4x4 with a 400.
Thanks! I bought the truck in SD, I'm from the twin cities but I go to school in North Dakota

Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
More progress on the floors. Put fiberglass filler on the weld seams to seal them up. Then sprayed some primer on them to cover up the bare metal.

Baby steps

Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks great!

Question...

Why Fibreglass filler?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
BKSMN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Looks great!

Question...

Why Fibreglass filler?
Thanks!

It's a type of body filler used to seal up weld seams. It's got fiberglass fibers in it to make it stronger than regular body filler.
I'm not sure exactly why its better than regular body filler for this application but that's just what I was told to use

Old 12-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BKSMN
Thanks!

It's a type of body filler used to seal up weld seams. It's got fiberglass fibers in it to make it stronger than regular body filler.
I'm not sure exactly why its better than regular body filler for this application but that's just what I was told to use
Duly noted. Never knew that fibreglass filler was a substitute for body filler.

I'll have to keep this in my when I need to do some welding in the future.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:39 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
Okay so I finished cleaning all the dirt out of the frame that was packed around the front gas tank. I removed half of a 5 gallon bucket of dirt. Came back a day later to find that my break line is now leaking where I removed the dirt from and my transmission is leaking again. Yay more problems to deal with...

So I feel like I should probably just replace all of the break lines so I don't run into anymore break issues. Where's the best place to get a full set of break lines for our trucks?

(Lots of dirt...)

(Leaking break line )

As for the transmission leak.. I am considering swapping out the transmission since mine was damaged by the front drive shaft sometime in the past. How difficult of a task would this be? Could I remove the transmission straight out the bottom without removing anything else? How hard would it be to find a C-6 for my 400?

Not all bad news though. I fixed a damaged spot on the passenger door and sprayed it with some self etching primer to cover up all that bare metal.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:02 PM
gfburke
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice man. She's coming along!
My last rust is the bottom of the door seams. I'm not sure what to do.. replace doors, sand and fill.. etc. Just a curved location inside and out. Maybe do what you are doing. Grind her out, fill, etc. Someone just let the molding go on the windows so water was just going down in there!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:14 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
I purchased a whole new set of pre-bent break lines from inline tube. Should be here in a few days.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Inline tube is the go to place for s.s. lines. IIRC they even offer s.s fuel lines as well. All pre-bent and pre-flared.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Maverick68F100
Senior User
Just wanted to chime in...your truck is coming along nicely! I can feel your pain on those gas tanks! I no longer have my 68 F100 as my handle would suggest; I currently have a 79' 2wd Supercab F-250. I dropped both tanks and cleaned the mud and gunk off them and replaced the filler necks...those were a pain in the *** trying to find contoured ones that fit correctly! Luckily mine were in good shape, as my truck came out of the central valley in California and all I had to deal with was farm dirt and grime.

Keep up the good work! Its nice to see people resurrecting these old dents! Cant wait to see how this turns out.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:49 AM
BKSMN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maverick68F100
Just wanted to chime in...your truck is coming along nicely! I can feel your pain on those gas tanks! I no longer have my 68 F100 as my handle would suggest; I currently have a 79' 2wd Supercab F-250. I dropped both tanks and cleaned the mud and gunk off them and replaced the filler necks...those were a pain in the *** trying to find contoured ones that fit correctly! Luckily mine were in good shape, as my truck came out of the central valley in California and all I had to deal with was farm dirt and grime.

Keep up the good work! Its nice to see people resurrecting these old dents! Cant wait to see how this turns out.
Thanks for the compliments and motivation!
I know these tanks are a pain. I was getting ready to put the front tank back in when I discovered the break line leaking behind where the tank goes. So that put a damper on my tank progress for now.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 AM
BKSMN
Senior User
Life has gotten in the way a bit, as it usually does. My family received some shocking news last week as my little brother (16) was hospitalized and diagnosed with a rare heart disease after he collapsed during his high school hockey game. So I've been spending most of my free time with him at the hospital. This whole thing has been a huge shock to my family since we are an incredibly active family and now my brother can no longer partake in vigorous activities. But thankfully he is feeling well and taking the news like a champ.

Before all of that took place, my laptop decided to commit computer suicide so I couldn't post any pictures on FTE and I just got it back from the repair place.
I have quite a few small things to update so bare with me.

First thing's first. All the goodies that I got for Christmas! I got a new clear dome light lens, a horn button for my sport wheel, a set of tail gate bumpers, a set of full door and window seals, and a new full floor rubber floor mat!

Also, my new set of break lines from inline tube arrived and I installed all the lines that needed to be replaced which consisted of the rear axle to distribution valve below master cylinder.

I also did some other small things like more body work on the doors, welded in a patch on the tail gate where it was rusted through, ordered new rear to front fuel lines, and picked up an intermittent wiper switch out of an 88 F-150 at the JY. Hopefully I'll get it installed next time I get out to work on my truck.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holidays and were able to do some wrenching on their rigs.

-Ben

Old 01-04-2016, 02:09 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother, hope he makes a full recovery and finds ways to stay active that do not upset his condition.

Congrats on the Christmas scores!!! I want one of those horn buttons for my sport wheel too.

Great job on the truck thus far, keep it up.

Quick Reply: 1979 F150 4x4 Build (pics)