6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Puking out degas bottle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by EMC V10 X
Maybe? I have a sticker on mine that lowers the min by about 3/8" from the original markings on the bottle. I have it right in the middle now that its cooled. At least I hope its the new markings? Now you have me thinking.....
I'd bet you had to much in it. If it's less than 2" from the top, it WILL puke.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 PM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a new cap today. I have not put it on as it was hot. The truck reached operating temp and there was no new fluid spitting out. One think I thought of, when the truck is warmed up, sometimes I hear a whistle just on deceleration. If I just blip the pedal, it stops. Again it only whistles when slowing and my foot is completely off the accelerator. Does that make a difference?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Just an update, first off, I figured out I DO NOT have an EGR cooler. I have a sinister delete kit with the EGR valve still plugged in. Anyhow I sucked out the extra fluid until it was about 3" from the top of the bottle and also installed the new cap. I made the trip again and absolutely dry as a bone. It was either the cap, or the level or both. I will keep an eye on it but the whistling is gone also. Thanks ALL.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:10 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, did the puking start after a top off of the coolant?

The updated degas tanks have this new sticker on the side indicating the corrected fluid level.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just an update, first off, I figured out I DO NOT have an EGR cooler. I have a sinister delete kit with the EGR valve still plugged in. Anyhow I sucked out the extra fluid until it was about 3" from the top of the bottle and also installed the new cap. I made the trip again and absolutely dry as a bone. It was either the cap, or the level or both. I will keep an eye on it but the whistling is gone also. Thanks ALL.
Great news.

[QUOTE=jimmyv13;14795864]So, did the puking start after a top off of the coolant?

The updated degas tanks have this new sticker on the side indicating the corrected fluid level.

Your's looks a little full

Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Not my pic...just a quick google search, he's also a quart low on brake fluid.

I'm still running Gold and my level is close to the top, just not that close.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 AM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
I actually just purchased the truck and I am sure the Dealer topped off all of the Fluids. Mine looks EXACTLY like that one, sticker and all. Mine stopped puking now that the cold level is about 1/4 below the low level on the sticker.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Not my pic...just a quick google search, he's also a quart low on brake fluid.

I'm still running Gold and my level is close to the top, just not that close.

hahaha--he sure is lol

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
I actually just purchased the truck and I am sure the Dealer topped off all of the Fluids. Mine looks EXACTLY like that one, sticker and all. Mine stopped puking now that the cold level is about 1/4 below the low level on the sticker.
They did the same thing with mine when I bought it--they topped it off.
I got a bit of puke and drained a bit and changed the cap--no issues sense.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Well, I thought I was done with this issue BUT today I drove in my normal 135 mile Monday Drive. TODAY the white spots are on the bottle. It doesn't look like much but definitely let out coolant. It was a little warmer today (about 80 degrees).

It had been bone dry since I changed the cap until today. Should I start to worry?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
You may have to bring the level down just a bit again--just depends on how much is actually in the degas.
Probably time to do a pressure test. There are a few posts on the exacts and what the pressure needs to be and probable cause based on what the pressure does.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 11-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Well, I thought I was done with this issue BUT today I drove in my normal 135 mile Monday Drive. TODAY the white spots are on the bottle. It doesn't look like much but definitely let out coolant. It was a little warmer today (about 80 degrees).

It had been bone dry since I changed the cap until today. Should I start to worry?
Personally, I think it's your heads. This is, after all, the hallmark repair of the 6.0 liter PSD.

Since you said the EGR cooler has been deleted, if it were me I would go to NAPA and purchase a combustion leak test kit. If this test proves negative for combustion gases, it will have cost less in time and dollars than rigging up a way to test the pressure at the degas cap. If you test the pressure first, and that comes back high (20 psi or whatever) you're probably gonna end up testing for combustion gases anyway.

I would say most of the folks at this site have been down this road, and on the front end of the repair it may seem daunting; once the repair is in the rearview mirror so to speak, it's complete relief. At least it was for me.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Would a head gasket be intermittent? I have put on almost 2000 miles without issue...... Same drive back and fourth?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Would a head gasket be intermittent? I have put on almost 2000 miles without issue...... Same drive back and fourth?
It can be intermittent; for some, it only manifests itself while towing. Mine started off intermittent- a drive down the interstate unloaded and when i got home i'd see a ring of coolant under the cap on the outside of the degas bottle. In the beginning this was intermittent, especially since i changed the cap a few times. Eventually it just became every trip on the interstate. Tested for combustion gases and came back positive.
Studded it; end of story.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't trust those exhaust gas kits. What if the show a positive and it is only residual from a blown egr cooler? I don't know if that's possible, but I wouldn't trust it for a $3500 gamble.

If the egr is deleted, the pressure won't build past 16 inked the HGs are toast.

Quick Reply: Puking out degas bottle...