1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced hub bearing w/timken now issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 PM
cholber1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced hub bearing w/timken now issue

I have a 2001 f250 v-10 4wd with 117,000 miles. I just replaced drivers side front hub bearing assy and not sure if it's the new bearing or what but now I keep hearing this crazy noise from suspension area. It has had bangs and pops for a while now. It almost sounds like abs motor going off but louder. Does it going slow fast or whatever. Brakes on or off. Trucks ball joints were done about two months ago and new shocks, trac bar replaced this summer only thing not done was tie rod ends and all bushings. Brakes are good new rotors and pads this summer also. It's like taking two inflated balloons and rub them together real fast. It may be the timken bearing maybe bad from get go. Has anybody experienced this?

Old 10-26-2014, 10:41 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would be pulling the caliper and rotor to check things out. If the bearing itself has a cage that came apart or failed in another way you should be able to hear and feel it while turning the unit by hand. A cage that comes apart will make bumping and dragging noises. I had that happen on an Explorer a few months ago.

A bad ABS sensor would cause the ABS to cycle but the steering wheel usually pulls to one side and does it only when braking. Since it only started doing this after the unit bearing was replaced that is obviously the place to look first. I am assuming you assembled everything properly when the unit bearing was replaced.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Is the hub free or locked? Somehow there is binding maybe over tightened?
Maybe the bearing race (cup) isn't seated completely.

Last edited by Don Naslund; 10-26-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-26-2014, 11:30 PM
pYr8
Senior User
Did you give the bearings some slack when you tightened the big nut? Kinda sounds like the bearings are self destructing.
The nut should be tightened to spec for pre-load then backed off to the 1st keeper for locking.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There is no bearing adjustment on the 4x4 unit bearings. You get what you get from the factory. The 2x4 trucks have a different setup.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:39 PM
pYr8
Senior User
Lack of late Ford 4x4 experience here I guess, but that sounds lame. IF it work though, good deal....

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 AM
cholber1
New User
I havent pulled it apart yet. I got called into work today so ill look at it tonight. It may be coming from passenger side not sure hard to tell while sitting in truck driving and my window down sounds from left wheel but window up sounds almost like passenger side. Im not sure cause its not a constant sound. It comes and goes real quick hard to pinpoint. It seems to be more previlant from 40mph and slower doesnt do it on freeway at 75 mph

Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
Is the hub free or locked?
Pretty important question that still needs answering.

If the noise goes away when the hubs are locked, it could be the stub axle bearing.

Something that needs lubrication every 60k or so based on mfg specs.

Thanks Pops.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
cholber1
New User
Ill check it tonight when i get home and post my findings on here. I have mile marker manual lockouts on it also. So there not the ford oem vacuum hubs

Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM
cholber1
New User
Well I found the issue it wasnt the new timken bearing it was the pos cheap bearing on the passenger side. I pulled it today and the needle bearing that the axle shaft spins on when in 4wd was locked tighter than a drum. The noise was it trying to lock on the shaft and when it couldnt turn it it would squeek real loud. I went and put a new timken on that side and all is good now. I guess I learned my lesson trying to get away with those cheap china junk. Only lasted 3 months both sides. O well live and learn I guess. Not sure If i was supposed to do this but I greased that bearing in the new ones so they dont run dry. I hope I didnt jack it up doing that. Thanks guys for the help

Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Greasing through the abs hole is a good thing. Greasiing the needle bearing prior to install is a good thing as well. Check out riffraff diesel they have a zerk fitting specifically for this.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM
cholber1
New User
Thanks bently that zirk fitting is the best thing ive seen in a while. Im getting one for sure. I guess shooting grease in there doesnt affect the sensor from reading so cool. wonder how often you should do it.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Annually is what most do.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cholber1
Well I found the issue it wasnt the new timken bearing it was the pos cheap bearing on the passenger side. I pulled it today and the needle bearing that the axle shaft spins on when in 4wd was locked tighter than a drum. The noise was it trying to lock on the shaft and when it couldnt turn it it would squeek real loud. I went and put a new timken on that side and all is good now. I guess I learned my lesson trying to get away with those cheap china junk. Only lasted 3 months both sides. O well live and learn I guess. Not sure If i was supposed to do this but I greased that bearing in the new ones so they dont run dry. I hope I didnt jack it up doing that. Thanks guys for the help
Based on your explanation, it was the stub axle bearing? Something many need to review and lube up regularly.

Most go right to the wheel bearing first but really need to pull apart regularly to keep from seizing.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Annually is what most do.
That seems like way too much. Mine were fine at 150k miles when I greased them and I probably put more grease in than when they were new.

Quick Reply: Replaced hub bearing w/timken now issue