6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Suspension squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension squeak

I have a near constant squeak coming from the drivers rear suspension. It squeaks over the tiniest bumps. I can hear it when my son bounces on the bumper but I can't quite narrow it down. I'm hesitant to start spraying lube all over since the truck only has 19k. Anyone else have spring squeaks I need to take it to the dealer but I'm not sure a squeak would even be covered however I need to fix this because it makes me mental listening to it. I have already fixed the dash rattle myself (placed foam under wiring crossing over the air vent duct)and now the upfitter switches keep vibrating. When I go out of parking lots the doors and suspension sounds like a 20 year old truck. I can deal with the rest myself but the suspension squeak has to go. I might pull the rear stabilizer and start there but wondering if anyone has had this issue. I can hear it with the radio on also so it must sound sweet driving by pedestrians. Truck is a 2012 CCSB 4wd wit camper package.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:14 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Is this not a .... truck ? A new caddy has noises also ...

Old 10-26-2014, 08:22 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Uhmm this isn't my first truck new or used and none have squeaked like this. Agreed everything makes some noises but seriously why would you even post that. A new caddy back in the 70's this might have been acceptable.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:33 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry . I was a bit uncaring . I understand an individual wanting what they paid for . I just tire of some complaints that come all too often . I hear of " noise " complaints often . Sorry .... No offense intended .

Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
No worries, I apologize for being a bit rude myself. I honestly do understand that everything has its issues/noises. Quite honestly I would rather fix things myself rather then running to the dealer for every little thing. This truck isn't abused but it is used as a truck if you know what i mean(towing,camping,crap in bed,dogs in cab,snow,gravel,misc truck things)This squeak is really annoying though.lol

Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
First thing I would try is disconnecting the shock, if that doesn't work get some dry silicone spray and start spraying all the bushings one at a time. Use dry spray so it doesn't leave any residue.

Denny

Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Just to clarify my rant I am only concerned with the annoying squeak. The rest is all minor and I really don't care about them I will tweak those as I get off my lazy butt. I really actually love the truck and even coming from diesels to the 6.2 I am satisfied. I should mention there was a 5.4 f150 in the middle though so it wasn't straight from a diesel but this 6.2 does what I need it to do and I am satisfied it will last a long time. (Knock on wood)

Old 10-26-2014, 09:07 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I never thought shocks, maybe I will start with stabilizer then shock.(could only be spring after that) Just hesitant to start spraying but maybe it would flush something out. Only hesitant to spray because of attracting dust and such but the dry spray should prevent that. I have hosed the springs/bushings at the car wash a few times and bit used to help but recently this issue has gone from intermittent to constant.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Where was the wire rattle that you fixed with foam? My 14` has started to rattle, sounds like it`s coming from drivers side top corner of dash. Bugs the heck out of me. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtymutt
I never thought shocks, maybe I will start with stabilizer then shock.(could only be spring after that) Just hesitant to start spraying but maybe it would flush something out. Only hesitant to spray because of attracting dust and such but the dry spray should prevent that. I have hosed the springs/bushings at the car wash a few times and bit used to help but recently this issue has gone from intermittent to constant.
That's why I would use dry silicone spray, it will go on wet but after it dries dust will not stick to it. It may even stop it for a while. Denny

Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 AM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Pit Crew I will do my best to describe it. Mine sounded drivers front corner and the brunt was top of dash just barely to the right of steering wheel. Would rattle away on washboard roads and bumps. With the drivers door open pop the cover off the side of the dash there. If you take a light and look along the dashpad toward the passenger side you will see the air vent tube running along the top. There is a wiring harness that crosses over top of this plastic air vent tube. On mine the wire was wrapped but the wrap came short of where it crossed the tube. It would be approx where the airvent on the rh side of the steering wheel.(its been a while since I fixed this) i used a long gadget I found in the garage and stuffed some thin foam under the wires and viola it was like a new truck. On the far left corner I just poked and proded with the dash/a pillar and stuck a bit of paper in one spot from underneath but the wire did the main issue. Where you popped the side off the dash ensure that the push clip holding that vent up is pushed all the way in to the metal bracket there also. Hope that helps.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Thanks, that sounds like the same problem I am having. I will check it out and let you know.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:10 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,736 Likes on 1,329 Posts
About your suspension squeak...try to do one thing at a time and let us know what finally stopped the squeak if you can. Do the leaf springs first, shackles next, sway bar, then shocks, etc... with test driving between.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the spring eye bushings and shackle bushing. Basically where ever a spring eye bolt is going through. Also, take a look at the clips on the leaf springs. Sometimes the clips are too close to the actual leaf and they can rub. God that metal on metal squeak will drive anyone crazy.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
If/when I find the resolution I will definitely update this thread. Thank all of you for your tips/suggestions.I drive a company truck all week and forget to check this one out until I start driving and hear squeak squeak. Lol. On a side note I just took off the factory Michelin's in favor of some Cooper s/t maxx in stock 275 size. Ride with new tires is less harsh even with the new tires having beefier sidewalls. The Michelin's had lots of tread left but just weren't cutting it traction wise on anything other then dry pavement.

Quick Reply: Suspension squeak