Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 starting then dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The gauge is driven by the selector valve. Have you checked fuses?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Josh Garland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
The gauge is driven by the selector valve. Have you checked fuses?
Yes all good

Old 10-27-2014, 08:05 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Can you hear the valve do anything when you throw the switch?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Josh Garland
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Can you hear the valve do anything when you throw the switch?
Only in dash

Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Garland
Only in dash
You have to unbolt the valve from the frame, and I recommend taking off the fuel lines (plug them with something so they don't leak). Then, with the valve in your hand, unplug the wire loom from it. Go to your dash, and hit the button to switch tanks. Go back and plug in the selector valve, and you should hear a quick "click" sound of the valve moving. If you don't hear it, then your valve is stuck on one tank.

Not to sound like an ***, but I already told you to go put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank you were running off of earlier when it died, and see what happens. If your truck fires up and runs, you have your problem right there. Asking questions without doing that first is just wasting everyone's time, because it would tell you without having to check out the valve like I just said up there^^^^ that you have a bad selector valve and a bad showerhead at the same time.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Josh Garland
New User
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
You have to unbolt the valve from the frame, and I recommend taking off the fuel lines (plug them with something so they don't leak). Then, with the valve in your hand, unplug the wire loom from it. Go to your dash, and hit the button to switch tanks. Go back and plug in the selector valve, and you should hear a quick "click" sound of the valve moving. If you don't hear it, then your valve is stuck on one tank.

Not to sound like an ***, but I already told you to go put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank you were running off of earlier when it died, and see what happens. If your truck fires up and runs, you have your problem right there. Asking questions without doing that first is just wasting everyone's time, because it would tell you without having to check out the valve like I just said up there^^^^ that you have a bad selector valve and a bad showerhead at the same time.
Sorry I tried putting fuel in it and tank would only take around 2.5 gal I will have to check fill pipe to make sure no blockage if there is a blockage it may be that the vent holes can't work and the tank can't breathe just discovered that this morning I will try all else and let you know what I came up with thanks for the help

Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Originally Posted by Josh Garland
Sorry I tried putting fuel in it and tank would only take around 2.5 gal I will have to check fill pipe to make sure no blockage if there is a blockage it may be that the vent holes can't work and the tank can't breathe just discovered that this morning I will try all else and let you know what I came up with thanks for the help
Or you could be filling up the tank that's full and the fuel pump isn't pulling from. What about putting the fuel into the other tank? With my truck, even on it's worst day, will never overflow from a lack of a vent with a 5 gallon jerrycan. The jerrycans just don't flow fast enough for the tank vent to be an issue.

Your other option would be to take off the rubber hose on the fuel pump and run a much longer one to a 5 gallon can on the ground and see if the truck runs then. That would also point towards a bad selector valve.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
if the tank that is supposed to be almost empty only took 2.5 gallons, my guess is a bad selector valve drawing off one tank, but returning to the other tank.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Josh Garland
New User
Thanks guys

Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
if the tank that is supposed to be almost empty only took 2.5 gallons, my guess is a bad selector valve drawing off one tank, but returning to the other tank.
I doubt that's the case if he was able to make almost 300 miles on the tank he was using. In any case, it all depends on what he ends up finding.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM
mattb77
Junior User
going through similar problem

Not sure yet but changing the mechanical fuel pump tomorrow I'm pretty sure that's it. Sounds like you may have same problem. $77 OEM. I also had loose injector lines that I tightened,not the problem. Not leaking anymore but still stalling

Old 11-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Josh Garland
New User
4 gallons added same issue could it be the injector pump cause once running even if I have accelerator to the floor it still dies

Old 11-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
How hard is it to start, and does it restart immediately after dying?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Josh Garland
New User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
How hard is it to start, and does it restart immediately after dying?
Very hard to start and doesn't start back immediately

Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Josh Garland
New User
It was running off empty tank fuel selector valve out but she is running thanks guys

Quick Reply: 6.9 starting then dying