1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine Choice at Pick and Pull for F1

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:50 PM
jgp1952
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Choice at Pick and Pull for F1

Hi Guys,

I live very close to a pick and pull yard that typically has over 1500 vehicles at any given time. No one vehicle is there more than 6 weeks.

I am restoring a 1952 F1. I've already pulled an explore rear with 3.73 gears and posi.

My question, is if you had a choice from over 1500 late model cars\trucks, which engine and trany would you pull and why? Also, would you go with EFI or carb? I am a little partial to the carb setup but am on the fence to go with EFI.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
What are your plans for the truck? If i had pick of any motor, id probably try and find a 5.0 coyote or 4.6 dohc.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:37 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Be realistic as to your ability, patience, and funding levels. While I would have loved to have gone with a modern electronic engine and trans combo, I knew I was comfortable working on a conventional carb and non-electronic trans combo. I went with the 289/C4 combo that came with the truck (unknown conditions) and am happy with them. They do everything I need for a daily, around town driver.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:44 PM
jgp1952
Senior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
Be realistic as to your ability, patience, and funding levels. While I would have loved to have gone with a modern electronic engine and trans combo, I knew I was comfortable working on a conventional carb and non-electronic trans combo. I went with the 289/C4 combo that came with the truck (unknown conditions) and am happy with them. They do everything I need for a daily, around town driver.
Yeah, that is why I wanted to go with carb setup. I figure I could convert to a carb on what I get. The truck is going to be more of a daily driver but do want to be able to spin the tires... :-).

Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I am a FI guy but I would grab a 4.8 or 5.3 out of a chevy or GMC truck, parts are easily available to convert to carb and run the coil packs. 700r4 or Th350 to back it up depending on gear and rear tire size.
This is all assuming you are not afraid of the fabrication needed for whatever you buy.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:06 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
We've already discussed this. I doubt you can find a carbed engine at any u pull yard, and IMHO converting an EFI engine to carb is taking a major step backwards, especially for a cruiser/daily driver. You'll be going from potentially 20+ MPG (with an OD tranny) to 10 MPG or less, temperamental, high maintenance. You have your Mustang if you want to tinker with engines, do you really want another? Learning to work with an EFI engine is not a lot different than learning to tune a carbed engine, just have to go in with an open mind and learn a different (and much easier) skill set. I know it will likely start a s**t storm with the bleed bluers, but I believe in going with what make sense, in this case the GM engine/tranny wins hands down.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
I bought a 1990 crown vic off craigslist and used the 5.0/aod combo out of it. I did rip out all of the fuel injection and went with a carb though. The only thing I would have done differently is to have cut out the opening for a mechanical fuel pump. The one I have is loud!
Try and keep in mind all of the other stuff that gets in the way- headers/manifolds, steering box, trans mount. I really wanted a 300 straight six. I went with the 302 because everybody makes mounts for it.
Mike

Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Rollingmenace
Junior User
I'm kinda pondering the same idea... I'm wanting to run all ford in mine but that's alwasy just a personal preference.. I'm actually wanting to do a 302... I'm leaning toward the explorer 5.0 they seem to be in abundance and allready run th gt40p heads ... Allthough I'm seriously considering a carb myself

Old 10-26-2014, 09:01 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
I also like to run Fords in Fords. Right now I think that buying a complete Lincoln Mark VII doner car is the way to go. With that car you get a 5.0 HO engine, AOD and the complete wire harness with the computer, most everything you need for the conversion. If you watch Craigs List you can usually find a complete running car for around a grand or less.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
If you go the donor car route try and keep it around as long as you can. I can't even begin to list all the little pieces I should have taken off of the vic that I had to track down just to get it started. the connector for the alternator comes to mind pretty quick.
Mike

Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
Just wondering, but is there an engine in your truck already? Mine was without one so getting something newer was an easy choice. If it would have still had the original flathead though I would have just put a 5-speed behind it.
Mike

Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass

Here's the EZ FAST TBFI on a 2" super sucker

and with the full 5", no drop, K&N filter.... Lots of room.

I went with a mix... old 351w, stroked to 408 with a EZ FAST TBFI. The cpu that comes with the kit does everything for you... i.e., no tuning on your part, just answer some questions. Holley, Edelbrock, etc have similar kits.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I like a ford motor in a ford! Nothing wrong with Chevys I like them as well, as far as motor selection.... The 289 or 302 with c-4 trans is a good choice and I'm partial to a carb as well. A lot I guess is what do you plan to do with it? My trucks are hop in and go for a ride for coffee or ice cream and occasional car shows so my setup in my trucks are fine.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Baldy66
Freshman User
I found a 5.0 out of a 2000 Mountaineer with the P heads, computer and harness with all of the accessories complete for $450. I went this route because I got the computer that is a match for the engine.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Rollingmenace
Junior User
Originally Posted by Baldy66
I found a 5.0 out of a 2000 Mountaineer with the P heads, computer and harness with all of the accessories complete for $450. I went this route because I got the computer that is a match for the engine.
And if you wanted the roller motor and didn't want to mess with the fuel injection you can pull the cam sensor and intake throw a carbed intake and a distributor (make sure it has hardened steel drive gear) and your good to go...

I'm looking at a complete explorer for my build the motor has 45k it's a jasper build.. The trans is shot I can pick it up for 1000 that will have a rear end the motor all the ac stuff and harness computer ect . I'm planning on going carbed but you never know... Once I pull what I want I can scrap it out probably get 300+ from scrap yard

Quick Reply: Engine Choice at Pick and Pull for F1