Sponsored by:

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
dinosin70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo

Hey was wondering if any one could help me out setting up my 2008 6.4f250 super duty. I did a delete kit and a tuner with a 250hp tune and my turbos went out. Got to replace them any suggestions on which turbos to get or where from. Also what other upgrades might I want to do to it so other things don't start going out on it since my mechanic is gonna have it torn apart anyway. It's a daily driver so don't want to go crazy on price but want long term reliability.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dinosin70
Hey was wondering if any one could help me out setting up my 2008 6.4f250 super duty. I did a delete kit and a tuner with a 250hp tune and my turbos went out. Got to replace them any suggestions on which turbos to get or where from. Also what other upgrades might I want to do to it so other things don't start going out on it since my mechanic is gonna have it torn apart anyway. It's a daily driver so don't want to go crazy on price but want long term reliability.
If you stay stock the most reasonable why to go is to replace the Cartridge Assembly on the turbos if the housings are not damaged. You can do this for about 950.00 for both the low and high pressure turbo's. These can be purchased a places like here

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...werstroke.aspx
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...werstroke.aspx

The next option would be factory re-man assembly from ford or other supplier that offers a matching warranty other way the cost will probably be around 1850.00 to 2000.00 for the set. The ford warranty is hard to beat simply because the network of facilities they have to warranty the part.

Here is an OEM i found online
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts.../me083555-assy

If your going aftermarket you need a little information .First the stock turbo's are 65mm for the low pressure and 56mm VGT for the high pressure so 65mm/56mm VGT. For reference when looking around.

There are several options out there. The most value vs performance would be a change the low pressure turbo out for a 72.4 , 73 or 75mm low pressure turbo and of these turbos will support all the HP you can make on the stock fuel system 600-650 HP depending who you ask, with out fuel upgrades. Don't hold me to the HP's numbers i listed as they seem to continually go up as people find new way to press the envelope with the stock fuel system. With fuel upgrades these turbos will still support 750+ depending on other supporting modifications. In addition all these turbos are drop in style turbos no modifications needed. Budget would dictate what you go with there all great turbos.

These turbos can be found here

www.elitedieselengineering.com - TowpowerPlusAtmosphereTurbo

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...=601&Itemid=54

The high pressure VGT turbo really does not need to be increased tell you have additional fuel mods maybe dual K-16's and larger injector nozzles. So i would stick with a reman stock High pressure VGT unless you plan to increase fuel in the near future. If more fuel is your future goal i would consider going with a 59mm VGT. They make a 7 blade set-up and a 11 blade set-up. I actually have a 59mm 7 blade VGT on the shelf waiting . The 7 blade 59mm is a little better for mid range hp and the 11 blade 59mm is better on upper high rpm HP. Ither turbo will give you another good bump when you have the fuel to push it. Beyond the 59mm now you stepping into the big HP range and will have to consider further engine modifications to support bigger high pressure turbos.

Next thing you can upgrade budget allowing would be the intake then maybe a aftermarket or 6.0 exhaust manifold with upgraded up-pipes.

www.elitedieselengineering.com - ZMaxJrPortedIntakeManifold64LPowerstroke

I actual have the JR intake and the 72.4 low pressure turbo from elite, they are the biggest gain mods i have done to date. I am very please with the performance. On the 210 tune i have zero smoke after take-off burns clean, and has excellent maintainable EGT's towing under full load. The 210 TP tune is what i always run but i have played i little on the dyno with some of the other tunes. On the 275 tune i had very little smoke after take off nothing like the black cloud produced on the stock turbos. So I assume the 250 would burn very clean as-well as i have not tried it. I am more for burning clean then rollin coal. You can expect an increase in milage as well but i won't get into numbers as that always seems to be a strong debate.

With that being said when i did my low pressure turbo upgrade 72mm where the hot ticket as the 73- 75mm where not available. If i was to do it know i would probably have done the 75mm.

Now with this increase in power you are on the ragged edge of needing head studs with the larger turbo running the 250 tune. If they are in the budget i would do them for the reliability so you have no issues.

The challenging issue is the cores. You have to send the cores in or pay the hefty core charge tell you return them. I ended up being a used core Low pressure turbo off E-bay for 300.00 and sent it in so i had no down time waiting for a turbo. I then just sold my old turbo as a core on ebay. I actually came up 10 bucks in the deal.

I would take the time and look a few other forums as well don't just take my opinions there is a lot is information out there, here is a forum you can also ask these questions and get great information as well

6.4 Aftermarket - PowerStrokeArmy

There's a lot you can do budget allowing. Im not really up on the real big turbo set-ups but i have done research on the set-ups that work best for overall improvements and good towing set-ups. I would suggest that you do some research because in the end a little more research will result in you getting exactly what you want and you making the most informed decision.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dinosin70

You already got a TON of good advice.
Heres 2 other things to think of :
Head studs, and transmission.

Both will likely be an issue if you lay the power down too much with tunes.
The stock 6.4 turbos can make around 60 psi of boost at times.
The 6.4 can make insane power with just the tuner, and exhaust.
Be very aware of that, and if you can't afford head studs or transmission upgrades, take it easy on the truck.

The 6.4 is a very strong engine, but what other truck can you push an extra 350 RWHP out of with just programming?