Sponsored by: DP Tuner

03 7.3 Excursion misfire and killing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Burroughs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by husker
It can be frustrating trying to nail this type of problem down as there are a number of different things that can cause the similar symptoms. Maybe we should just take them to the dealer and have them put their super duper diagnostics on them and they will have it fixed lickity split. Of course that would be cheap too.

Mine was the ICP, but it can be so many other things.

I'm just glad for all the folks here that are ready to help us work through stuff and get our trucks running right again.
So I replaced the icp sensor, on the test drive the truck died coming to a stop at the end of my street. I cycled the ignition and made sure I let the fuel pump run completely before trying to start it. Started right up and didnt die the rest of the test drive, the miss is cleared up. I went with an aftermarket icp sensor that came with a pigtail and plug so I knew there wasn't oil on either end. But my truck has never died coming to a stop before.

Could this have something to do with a new icp sensor or do I have another problem on my hand?

Also I have a "service engine soon" light on now that I replaced the sensor, why could that be?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Did you clear codes after replacing the ICP? You might try clearing the code and see if it comes back.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:10 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another way to check if it is your ICP sensor is to disconnect the sensor itself, the PCM will then default to stored tables and run off of that instead of the ICP sensor. If you have a scanner (like Auto Enginuity, Diablo Predator, the Torque Pro app, etc...) you can see the ICP change when the sensor is disconnected.

If you have a SES light after changing the ICP sensor I would bet it is most likely ICP related - were you running her hard with a chip?

Knowing what the code is would make troubleshooting so much easier. A scanner or tool like Auto Enginuity is one piece of equipment I would highly recommend for every diesel owner's tool box.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Burroughs
Junior User
Originally Posted by husker
Did you clear codes after replacing the ICP? You might try clearing the code and see if it comes back.
How do you clear the code? Also I do not have a tuner on my truck, no chip, nothing. Just and non oiled come filter on the intake

Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Burroughs
How do you clear the code?
With a scanner, auto enginuity or a scan gauge

Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Burroughs
Junior User
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
With a scanner, auto enginuity or a scan gauge
Okay so I had a buddy of mine from advanced auto run a diagnostic on the truck. first time he tried it made my truck turn off, second time it did the same thing, the third time he entered my truck manually (year, model, engine ect) it didn't kill the truck but gave me two codes..

•PO6O3 the scanner said "international control module - keep alive memory malfunction.

•PO38O the scanner said " glow plug/ heater circuit A

thats all the info I have for now. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I'm thankful for everyone's help on this site!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Burroughs
Junior User
another way to check if it is your ICP sensor is to disconnect the sensor itself, the PCM will then default to stored tables and run off of that instead of the ICP sensor. If you have a scanner (like Auto Enginuity, Diablo Predator, the Torque Pro app, etc...) you can see the ICP change when the sensor is disconnected.

If you have a SES light after changing the ICP sensor I would bet it is most likely ICP related - were you running her hard with a chip?
I don't run it hard at all because I know through higher rpms it would miss, that was my reason changing the ICP sensor, it had oil all over the electric switch. I installed a new pigtail on the icp sensor so it wouldn't have oil. The new one still doesn't have oil on it. I've checked the wiring 5 times. It is correct.

Also another reason I don't run her too hard is because it has a boost leak, I'm only able to build 12psi of boost, I'm saving up to get new up pipes and intercooler boots, that should clear the leak.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:32 PM
husker
Hotshot
I think if you disconnect the batteries for about 10 minutes the codes will clear also if you don't have another way to do it.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Burroughs
Junior User
Well I tried to reset the SES light but unplugging the batteries didn't do the trick.

One of the codes was for the glow plug heater circuit A, so I replaced that, that code is gone but still has the "KAM error" code.

I've looked further into it and a lot of people say that replacing the UVC harness and gaskets gets rid of that code, apparently a loose wire on one of the injectors plugs and it could send a miss, maybe that's why I have a miss in high rpms. They say this code usually comes up when the truck has a chip or programmer but all I have is a boost fooler.

I'll be looking around for a good prices UVC Harness soon and I'll post what I find out.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Clay at Riffraff Diesel probably has the best price.....

Under Valve Cover Harness 99-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 12-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Burroughs
Junior User
Clay at Riffraff Diesel probably has the best price.....

Under Valve Cover Harness 99-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

That's just the harness though, I got everything for 129.99 from my local Smyth parts dealer. I say everything as in the harness's gaskets and glow plugs.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:48 PM
husker
Hotshot
You might check this too.

7.3 glow plugs and valve covers w/ hareness

This is a local add. i have no connection to it.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:48 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Burroughs
That's just the harness though, I got everything for 129.99 from my local Smyth parts dealer. I say everything as in the harness's gaskets and glow plugs.
That's probably not a good thing... At that price it means you got aftermarket Dorman or the like and Autolite glowplugs. All of which past history has shown to cause issues. I would really suggest sticking with OEM because pulling swelled glow plugs out of the head isn't fun. This stuff is made by the lowest bidder in China and is complete junk.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Burroughs
Junior User
They are in fact oem parts good sir, I get a pretty nice discount at my local Smyth dealer because I went to a vocational school that is sponsored by them for auto tech and body.. I do also appreciate you're input as I don't know too much about diesels. my parts dealer wouldn't lead me in the wrong direction.