2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
View Poll Results: 5.0L V8 or 3.5L EcoBoost to Replace 6.2L Super Duty Engine?
5.0L V8. The Super Duty should have a base V8.
68.22%
3.5L EcoBoost V6. It offers better capabilities.
31.78%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: 5.0L V8 or 3.5L EcoBoost to Replace 6.2L Super Duty Engine?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No worries Redford, I've already implemented a fix that is growing in popularity around this place...

This message is hidden because RRRSkinner is on your ignore list.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 PM
w6pea
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
No worries Redford, I've already implemented a fix that is growing in popularity around this place...
When I read this it says this:

"This message is hidden because RRRSkinner is on your ignore list."
I have no one on that list what is going on? Help

Old 04-11-2015, 01:18 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats just what he sees when rrrskinner posts. Nothing wrong with your feed!

Old 04-11-2015, 03:08 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
Do you think it is interesting because it serves your interests? What the poster is doing is attacking Consumer Reports integrity with very general information. When he says "No one....knows...., of course somebody does. Ford could easily refute the "below average" score with their own data if it showed that this was unfair. Given no other contradictions from a reliable source the only option for detractors of an evaluation is to question it. Kind of sad...really.
In a previous post I pointed out a magazine article where Ford question CR reports on their test data and made reference to a JD Powers article that was in complete contrast to CR. As is normally the case with you, you choose to ignore that information because it didn't fit your line of thinking. FYI, I think CR is a good source of information. I question testing results on every thing I read probably because I have a Masters Degree in Science & in undergraduate I did a lot of course work in statistics.

I love my EcoBoost and I think it would make an excellent power plant for an F250. I like the sound of my engine, I like the sound of the turbo's and I love the pulling power. It is better than any V8 I've ever towed with period. Ford sells millions of these engines because people like them. On my next truck my only engine choice will be which EcoBoost do I want.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:30 AM
valdor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not think that either is a good idea. If you look at what the SD's are meant to do, neither engine is suited to that. The 5.0 mebe more so. The problem i often find with downsized engines, turbo or not, is that their real world power delivery is not as good as the bigger engines. Increasing the gears may help with this though. Also i honestly dont see the 3.5 Ecoboost living as long as a big V8 in Supoerduty application. A smaller diesel option mebe? But the RD would again push prices up north of what it should be. I think bore the 6.2 out for better useable tq and live with the MPG which shouldnt be much worse i suspect.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by valdor
I do not think that either is a good idea. If you look at what the SD's are meant to do, neither engine is suited to that. The 5.0 mebe more so. The problem i often find with downsized engines, turbo or not, is that their real world power delivery is not as good as the bigger engines. Increasing the gears may help with this though. Also i honestly dont see the 3.5 Ecoboost living as long as a big V8 in Supoerduty application. A smaller diesel option mebe? But the RD would again push prices up north of what it should be. I think bore the 6.2 out for better useable tq and live with the MPG which shouldnt be much worse i suspect.
Watch what you say there...they will "fix" you too.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
The problem i often find with downsized engines, turbo or not, is that their real world power delivery is not as good as the bigger engines. Increasing the gears may help with this though. Also i honestly dont see the 3.5 Ecoboost living as long as a big V8 in Supoerduty application.
But the 3.5 rocks the pants off the 5.0 and 6.2! In real world driving conditions!
Everyone is just used to be NA engines, that doesn't mean you can't engineer a smaller displacement turbo engine to be more reliable. Just takes better alloys, cooling, engineering, thats all.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:30 AM
w6pea
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they are going to put a six cylinder engine in the Super Duty Truck Series, I would say the Ford Motor Company need to bring back the Ford Straight-6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's just my opinion

Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 AM
valdor
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
But the 3.5 rocks the pants off the 5.0 and 6.2! In real world driving conditions!
Everyone is just used to be NA engines, that doesn't mean you can't engineer a smaller displacement turbo engine to be more reliable. Just takes better alloys, cooling, engineering, thats all.
Yes it may "rock the pants" off doing halfton work, but how will she do over its life hauling 12lbs plus & hauling 5000lbs. I will stick to my old school guns till that has been proven :-)

Old 04-11-2015, 11:00 AM
valdor
Senior User
Watch what you say there...they will "fix" you too.
Oh dear ... Nah i beleive as a fan/enthusiast everybody shud be allowed an opinion abt what they think is best.. in the end Ford will use what best suits their plans and vision.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:02 AM
valdor
Senior User
Originally Posted by w6pea
If they are going to put a six cylinder engine in the Super Duty Truck Series, I would say the Ford Motor Company need to bring back the Ford Straight-6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's just my opinion
An updated more powerfull version with similar charetaristics re good tq low down yes please!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Lol...you been blowing too much of the ecoboost exhaust...lol

Old 04-11-2015, 09:34 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Yes it may "rock the pants" off doing halfton work, but how will she do over its life hauling 12lbs plus & hauling 5000lbs. I will stick to my old school guns till that has been proven :-)
Out performs other 400 hp v8's by a good margin pulling trailers.
Would it die fast in an f350 compared to an f150? Hard to say, nobody knows since they don't make that yet!
Nothing says it wouldn't work!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Lol...you been blowing too much of the ecoboost exhaust...lol

People hating on the ecoboost are like guys teasing and making fun of a girl just because they don't have a single chance of getting a piece.

Nobody wants to get beat by a 3.5 v6 when you have a cummins or 7.3 diesel truck, but it keeps happening lol.
The ecoboost is an absolute marvel of modern mechanical engineering.
Is there any other truck with such good power band, towing capability, price?

Old 04-12-2015, 07:38 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
People hating on the ecoboost are like guys teasing and making fun of a girl just because they don't have a single chance of getting a piece.

Nobody wants to get beat by a 3.5 v6 when you have a cummins or 7.3 diesel truck, but it keeps happening lol.
The ecoboost is an absolute marvel of modern mechanical engineering.
Is there any other truck with such good power band, towing capability, price?
That's what Ford is saying. So adding direct injection....ummm....used since the 70's or earlier and turbo charging....as old and adding a water to cool the turbos....not exactly a marvel in my book. Yep, it is the exhaust

What do you do for a living?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week: 5.0L V8 or 3.5L EcoBoost to Replace 6.2L Super Duty Engine?