2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
View Poll Results: 5.0L V8 or 3.5L EcoBoost to Replace 6.2L Super Duty Engine?
5.0L V8. The Super Duty should have a base V8.
68.22%
3.5L EcoBoost V6. It offers better capabilities.
31.78%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: 5.0L V8 or 3.5L EcoBoost to Replace 6.2L Super Duty Engine?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..........how bout that EB/5.0 vs 6.2 thingy we were discussing earlier? Just a thought.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On that topic...

Ford doesn't even find the 5.0L suitable for an F150 Tow Max. Why would people think it would find its way into a Superduty? It's about the torque curve, doesn't really matter whether or not the engine would live. There won't be a high HP gasoline engine in a Superduty because of the positive benefits of diesel which is already in the truck platform.

It certainly is reasonable to think there could be a high HP gasoline engine in a F150 sport truck (think Lightening). The Mustang has yet to use the 5.0L Coyote for high Hp application. It uses the 5.8L Trinity instead, purpose built for the task. The only thing that makes us think the Coyote engine will be used in that fashion is the new engine is now basically boost ready. But still a really poor choice in a work truck like a Superduty.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
On that topic...

Ford doesn't even find the 5.0L suitable for an F150 Tow Max. Why would people think it would find its way into a Superduty? It's about the torque curve, doesn't really matter whether or not the engine would live. There won't be a high HP gasoline engine in a Superduty because of the positive benefits of diesel which is already in the truck platform.

It certainly is reasonable to think there could be a high HP gasoline engine in a F150 sport truck (think Lightening). The Mustang has yet to use the 5.0L Coyote for high Hp application. It uses the 5.8L Trinity instead, purpose built for the task. The only thing that makes us think the Coyote engine will be used in that fashion is the new engine is now basically boost ready. But still a really poor choice in a work truck like a Superduty.
I honestly don't think a 5.0L Ecoboosted Superduty is that far fetched, You speak of torque curve's, the 5.0L has an ever building torque curve as it essentially just builds power quickly all the way up to the red line without ever really plateauing, While I will agree that the Ecoboost's flat liner torque curve is much more suited to towing heavy loads, let's not forget though, with out the Turbo Charger's the Ecoboost's curve would not be what it is, So it stands to reason that a Turbo Charged Direct Injected 5.0L will likely benefit the same as a Turbocharged Direct Injected 3.5L, the only difference is that an Ecoboosted 5.0L would make substantially higher numbers than the 3.5L EB.

Then of course there's the block strength argument, Which personally I don't think is a problem, Once upon a time it was a sin to have an Aluminum block in anything but a race car, but nowadays Aluminum blocks are becoming the norm for modern engines, and even if Ford were truly worried about it they would likely CGI the block as they have done with the new 2.7L EB and their own 6.7L Powerstroke V8.

In all honesty I think it's much more likely to see a bored out version of the 6.2L V8, I think Ford is afraid that an Ecoboosted 5.0L would monopolize sales of the Powerstroke.

I do not believe that the 6.2L is going anywhere anytime soon. As I've stated in previous post's it would not make sense for Ford to kill off the 6.2L this early into it's production run, It would just be a big flopping waste of money on their behalf, and since the Superdutys don't have to adhere to the strict emission standards that the F-150's do, it's not so far fetched to use larger displacement engine's in the Superdutys.

Either way, I do believe that there is a market for a mid range gas engine in the Superdutys. Weather it be a 6.2L that's been bored out to 6.5L or so, or a Twin Turbo 5.0L V8.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by americansteel
The 5.0 is too small nor does it provide stability or torque for the weight of the super duty and its gcw offerings. This notion of a Eco boost 5.0 is pure stupidity yet funny. Then term ecoboost is only refferedmto boosted engines under 8 cylinders.
Even though you've already been publicly shunned on this site, I feel the need to call you out on this BS.

Firstly, by today's standards the 5.0L is actually rather large...20 years ago it would be considered small, back in the day when large displacement was considered 7.0L's and above.

Secondly, you say the 5.0L doesn't produce enough torque for a truck like the Superduty? Let's take a look at GM's 6.0L vortech they use in their 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, it makes the exact same 360hp and 380lb/ft of torque that Fords 5.0L...The 6.0L even makes its numbers at about the same RPM's that the 5.0L does, and yet the 6.0L does just fine in GM's HD trucks.

Lastly...No where, has it ever been stated that ''Ecoboosting'' is strictly limited to small displacement I4's and V6's. Just because we have yet to see an Ecoboost V8 doesn't mean it's impossible or that it'll never happen.

The only ignorance I see here is you're behavior.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:35 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
I think Ford is afraid that an Ecoboosted 5.0L would monopolize sales of the Powerstroke.
A 5.0 ecoboost would likely beat the diesel in power ratings, and drive like a real power monster. It could easily draw customers away from the 6.7 diesel.
You are right, I think. They don't want to lose diesel sales. BUT, if the market calls for it, I'm sure they'll go for it one day. The truth is that an ecoboosted 5.0 superduty would be the most powerful tow vehicle ever, even over all the current diesel offerings.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:41 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Lastly...No where, has it ever been stated that ''Ecoboosting'' is strictly limited to small displacement I4's and V6's. Just because we have yet to see an Ecoboost V8 doesn't mean it's impossible or that it'll never happen.
I think the only issue at all is the branding lol.
"Eco boost" was coined and had the ability to get v8 power from a v6 while having v6 fuel economy. I think it actually gets more power than most v8's, and less fuel economy than a v6, but thats open for debate.

The only problem, is what exactly is "eco" or "eco friendly" about a turbocharged v8 gas engine? lol. Not that it really makes much sense anyways, but it's the way it is.

Maybe they could go with "The power of a v12, in a v8, with v8 fuel economy" ?
Thats what the "eco" factor could be in a v8 ecoboost?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:18 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by parkland
I think the only issue at all is the branding lol.
"Eco boost" was coined and had the ability to get v8 power from a v6 while having v6 fuel economy. I think it actually gets more power than most v8's, and less fuel economy than a v6, but thats open for debate.

The only problem, is what exactly is "eco" or "eco friendly" about a turbocharged v8 gas engine? lol. Not that it really makes much sense anyways, but it's the way it is.

Maybe they could go with "The power of a v12, in a v8, with v8 fuel economy" ?
Thats what the "eco" factor could be in a v8 ecoboost?
Originally I heard they were planning to call it the ''TwinForce'' but changed it to ''Ecoboost'' because it sounds more ''Eco'' friendly lol.

Personally I always thought TwinForce sounded cooler.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally I heard they were planning to call it the ''TwinForce'' but changed it to ''Ecoboost'' because it sounds more ''Eco'' friendly lol.

Personally I always thought TwinForce sounded cooler.

So then there is no problem, 3,4, and 6 cylinders are ecoboost, then the turbo 5.0 is a twinforce, offered in the superduty in front of the 6r140 automatic. They should do it. ....

If the power per displacement stays the same as the 3.5, the 5.0 would put out 520 hp / 600 ft lbs or TQ.
This would dominate the entire truck market for a few years for sure. I can see that engine being an instant favourite with grocery getting customers. The groceries are too heavy for the 6.7 diesel so had to go with the 520 hp twinforce motor lol

Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
So then there is no problem, 3,4, and 6 cylinders are ecoboost, then the turbo 5.0 is a twinforce, offered in the superduty in front of the 6r140 automatic. They should do it. ....

If the power per displacement stays the same as the 3.5, the 5.0 would put out 520 hp / 600 ft lbs or TQ.
This would dominate the entire truck market for a few years for sure. I can see that engine being an instant favourite with grocery getting customers. The groceries are too heavy for the 6.7 diesel so had to go with the 520 hp twinforce motor lol
Lol ya that kind of power would be intoxicating.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:47 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S
As engines get larger they get slightly less efficient (volumetric efficiency). Therefore, you'll lose a little bit of power in a 5.0L ecoboost vs a direct proportional comparison to the 3.5L.

Still, it should put out healthy numbers. Enough that they could de-tune it heavily and still out muscle any stock engine on the market right now with ease.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 AM
pwrstrokeme
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who has owned a 3.5 EB, and now has a 6.7 PS, I would have no problem at all w/ an 3.5 EB in the Super Duty... assuming I wanted a gas engine.

I heard all of the criticism of the ecoboost before I purchased one, and it was a screaming banshee, and it hauled/towed anything I threw at it too. It also got great highway mileage as well (I once got 21 mpg on a tank of gas).

Besides that, there are a lot of people who buy heavy duty trucks just because they want one...not necessarily to use for work/hauling. I'm sure that the 3.5 would fill a niche for those who want to get into a superduty, w/o having a gas hog or an expensive diesel engine...and still due some hauling and towing if/as needed.

All that being said, I love the 2015 6.7...so far. It's a beast.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I have no need for a diesel engine or a big V8. I use my truck as a daily driver and to tow my trailers. I need a truck that is a good balance for both these purposes. I've done plenty of towing with my 3.5 EcoBoost and feel it is a fantastic engine for this purpose. It is hands down better than any gas V8 (or V10) I've towed with in the past. It doesn't matter if you are on flat land, hills, in the mountains, good weather, bad weather or where ever, the EcoBoost just get's it done. I would seriously consider an F250 as my next truck if it had a 3.5 EcoBoost. If not, I'll get the F150 with the Max Tow option. I totally agree with an earlier post that the engines choices should be 3.5 EcoBoost, 6.2 V8 and the power stroke. There's something there for everyone.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I have no need for a diesel engine or a big V8. I use my truck as a daily driver and to tow my trailers. I need a truck that is a good balance for both these purposes. I've done plenty of towing with my 3.5 EcoBoost and feel it is a fantastic engine for this purpose. It is hands down better than any gas V8 (or V10) I've towed with in the past. It doesn't matter if you are on flat land, hills, in the mountains, good weather, bad weather or where ever, the EcoBoost just get's it done. I would seriously consider an F250 as my next truck if it had a 3.5 EcoBoost. If not, I'll get the F150 with the Max Tow option. I totally agree with an earlier post that the engines choices should be 3.5 EcoBoost, 6.2 V8 and the power stroke. There's something there for everyone.
Exactly my thoughts, and I just came out of a 6.7 to my EB.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Bad poll.

Keep 6.2 add optional 4 valve performance package.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 AM
w6pea
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larry Straight
I miss my 460! That badboy could really pull.
I do not want to trade my 95 F-250 XLT in and or put any more money in it, what I have had to spend on it in the last several month I could have made 4 or 5 payments on a new 2015 F-250 XLT LB Crew Cab 4x4, but there comes a time in everyone's life give up things, and now is the time. I am getting ready to order a New 2015 Super Duty. I can not justify adding $9000.00 to the base price for an Unproven Engine. (2nd Generation Power Stroke) I am torn between getting a Ram 2500hd Big Horn with the 6.4 Hemi. and getting a Super Duty F-250 with the 6.2 L Motor. I wish they would not have dropped the V-10 I have one in my E-450 Super Duty it runs like a Raped Ape..... it will pull Cajon Pass on I-15 @ 60mph. and that is good for pulling basically a box against the wind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week: 5.0L V8 or 3.5L EcoBoost to Replace 6.2L Super Duty Engine?