1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1969 Ford F100 / 2002 Ford Lightning "Thunder's Truck"

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:10 PM
V8TV
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As we lowered the 1969 cab down onto the 2002 Lightning chassis, it looked like the track width on the Lightning was going to be pretty close to the outer fender edges on the 1969.

Our first interference was the shape of the back of the '69 cab that allows the cab corners to hang down around the frame. The Lightning frame is wider than the '69 in this area, so the first cut on the '69 cab was to open up these corners.

[img]http://v8tvshow.com/1969_Ford_Lightning/slides/1969_F100_MP_10.14.14_049.html

Once we modified the back of the cab, we were able to lower it further down onto the lighting chassis.

Our next point of interference came in the front, where the 1969 inner fender wells seemed to interfere with the upper control arm mounts on the Lightning. We cut some simple notches in the inner fenders, and the cab and landed on the '02 chassis. The cab mounts are not in the exact same position, but they were close! We cut the front core supports off the Lightning frame, with anticipation of making our own core support and bumper mounts later.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by f100today
I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about whats underneath the shell of this truck? Saying its not a true 69 anymore? Where does that stop? If i put a mustang II under the front of mine does that make it too "less" of an original? Who gives a crap? This truck, when complete, will run circles around an "original" , drive across the country and back with ease, and drive and stop like a caddy compared to the vintage. Oh, and should we discuss the MPG's to power ratio? I think its a great idea and hope it works. I would be a little concerned the track width will be too wide for my "lowered taste" but it should be close.

OP, be sure to post pics frequently. Oh, and there was a build similar to this a while back but the guy used the original f100 frame. It turned out nice regardless.
Thats pretty simple to answer. Its opinion. Don't like it? Don't have nothing nice to say about it? Then shush. When you remove the complete skeleton, muscle, and heart of a vehicle and put something else in, is it that vehicle? Is a lambo kit on a fiero a lambo? No, its a lambo kit on a fiero.

I might as well scrap my Onan generator and put a walmart piece under the hood. Makes more power and probably easier to get parts. Better right?

The finished product is going to be cool, and a good driver, and all that other stuff that you're trying to make a point of. It's still a lightning with a bump body. Sure its cool and different, and it'll probably be fun to drive.

Is it a 69 to me? Sort of. Can't legal register it as a 69 in my state. Would I personally do that to a truck of my own if I had a clean one? Absolutely not. Do I think less of anyone for doing this? NO, what do I care? Better yet why should they care? It's their project. You want to argue semantics then PM me.

OP keep the pictures coming, I hope the owner shares a nice torture video on here once completed

Old 10-27-2014, 02:25 PM
V8TV
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
OP keep the pictures coming, I hope the owner shares a nice torture video on here once completed
You KNOW that's coming!!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:51 PM
51M1
Senior User
I have seen a 71 Cuda with an SRT8 Charger interior and complete suspension and driveline. I think you have a great idea here. Cant wait to see the finished truck. Thinking outside the box.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gembone
I like the concept and think it will be a cool truck when finished. I don't think I could bring myself to do it on one in that good of shape. I see this as just taking it one step farther than the CV swap. To each their own.
My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't want to do this but I'm very curious to see how this turns out. Looking forward to more pics.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM
BrockGrimes
Junior User
I like it keep it coming!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:38 PM
66 driver
New User
That is very cool. Can't wait to see the finished product. Nice job guys!!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool project.

Same basic story, different vehicle. --the following link is of the SN65 Project built around 2009. It was the grafting of a '65 Mustang fastback body to an '03 SVO 'Terminator' Cobra Mustang utilizing the '03 SN95 Cobra's interior/ chassis/powertrain/ drivetrain.

Ford SN65 SVT Mustang Cobra Project Car Pictures - Ford SN65 SVT Mustang Cobra Project Car Photos - Mustang Picture Gallery - AllFordMustangs.com

Old 10-28-2014, 04:36 PM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats pretty simple to answer. Its opinion. Don't like it? Don't have nothing nice to say about it? Then shush.

Uh, as I recall, my opinion is complimentary toward the op and his truck. YOU and others are the ones that got bent out of shape about the precious heart and soul not being used! And guess what? This thread is NOT about your truck. So maybe YOU should take your own advice and if you don't have anything nice to say ....hush. My opinions were defending the OP's build. Moron

When you remove the complete skeleton, muscle, and heart of a vehicle and put something else in, is it that vehicle? Why not? Is it a requirement? Does it matter? Is a lambo kit on a fiero a lambo? No, its a lambo kit on a fiero.

Not a apples to apples comparison. A better comparison would be putting a Fiero body on a Lamborghini chassis. He is not putting a f100 "body kit" on a Lighning chassis. Or better yet, a Lightning "kit" on the F100 chassis. Just sayin

I might as well scrap my Onan generator and put a walmart piece under the hood. Makes more power and probably easier to get parts. Better right?

Probably; cause there's not too many people that really care about an original Onan since it really doesn't raise the value of these trucks. 67-72 f100's are a dime a dozen actually. And very few are "rare" in which case I would 100% agree on an original restoration.

The finished product is going to be cool, and a good driver, and all that other stuff that you're trying to make a point of. It's still a lightning with a bump body. Sure its cool and different, and it'll probably be fun to drive.

Thanks for restating my point; And it will still get the same attention if not more than an original, with a Onan, skeleton, muscle, an heart. LOL

Is it a 69 to me? Sort of. Can't legal register it as a 69 in my state. Would I personally do that to a truck of my own if I had a clean one? Absolutely not. Do I think less of anyone for doing this? NO, what do I care? Better yet why should they care? It's their project. You want to argue semantics then PM me.

No need to PM

This is a great build that will be awesome

Old 10-28-2014, 04:38 PM
derbydad276
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing

Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
I love it when people think outside the box. I'm watching this build.
I bet even the purist's are watching. Please keep the pictures coming.
Don't worry what the haters say, most of them can't even replace brake shoes on a drum brake system.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:55 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a very interesting project and I'm definitely gonna watch to see the final product!! One question I have....what is to become of the rims on the '69??

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool project, looking forward to the completion.

Thats pretty simple to answer. Its opinion. Don't like it? Don't have nothing nice to say about it? Then shush. Better yet why should they care? It's their project.
There's only room for one opinion in this thread, looks like its yours, no matter how confused it is...

Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
cool project keep the pics coming !

Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Some guys may think of this truck build as cheating. It's not a real whole 1969 truck but just a show truck like at a hot rod/truck show.

Having had my truck for over 36yrs and growing old with it. I don't think,
I could bring myself to do an upgrade to this extent, after yrs of blood sweat & bucks put in over the yrs. to keep it running and then turn it into something that, I could not even wrench on much.

As I'm still stuck in yesterday with those mechanical skills. So I'd be lost and helpless along the roadside it if quit running on me.

This why, I carry a cell phone when driving my car..

But, I see it as the build is not any different then doing any other build like a Cherry Model A ford body fitted with newer running gear.

Interesting build tho can't wait to see when it's road worthy
Wonder how the dmv will rate this build, plus it will now need to be smoged.
Orich

Quick Reply: 1969 Ford F100 / 2002 Ford Lightning "Thunder's Truck"