1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 AM
lefty319
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have some concerns

son is looking at a F 350 crew, long bed, DRW FX 4 package. It has the so called dreaded 6 liter with an auto. Only has 80000 miles, been garage kept, no winters at all. Can get access to most of maintenance records ( oil changes and the like). Six new tires, new brakes and a 18000 pound 5th wheel plus a hard tonneau cover. I know gas motors (v8's v10's) not diesels. Are there many problems associated with this motor. 80000 miles thousand looks good but the again???????? Forgot its a 2007 XLT. Sorry so long winded but any advice is appreciated. Ive read some of the six liter comments and they have some scary stories.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
The 6.0 liter isn't scary if you understand how it works and what to look for.

If you can get access to a scangauge tool or similar diagnostic tool it will help tell the story with what the health of the motor is.

I had an 04 XLT and knew what to look for. Once my oil and water temperature deltas began to creep up to that dreaded 15 degree temp difference I took the plunge and fixed what Ford couldn't.

The 6.0 is an awesome motor, I loved mine. It's weakness is the OEM EGR cooler and oil cooler design. The head studs are the other issue. Also the coolant fluid and casting sand which begins plugging up and scaling the oil cooler. The EGR is just a bad design and is prone to failure.

I Bulletproofed mine and installed the ARP head studs when mine began to show symptoms. Added the coolant filter and took it all over the country without so much as a hiccup.

Find out if the current owner has updated these items. If not, you might be able to negotiate the price of replacing these items down the road off his asking price. That's about the mileage mine began to become ill.

Remember... Ford produced thousands of these trucks. You only hear the bad. Plenty are living long life's. The key is to understand what you're working with to prepare for any possible challenges. Hang out in the 6.0 forum and be a sponge. A wise man once told me that "preparation will make up for a lack of talent!"

Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM
lefty319
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rivrrts429
The 6.0 liter isn't scary if you understand how it works and what to look for.

If you can get access to a scangauge tool or similar diagnostic tool it will help tell the story with what the health of the motor is.

I had an 04 XLT and knew what to look for. Once my oil and water temperature deltas began to creep up to that dreaded 15 degree temp difference I took the plunge and fixed what Ford couldn't.

The 6.0 is an awesome motor, I loved mine. It's weakness is the OEM EGR cooler and oil cooler design. The head studs are the other issue. Also the coolant fluid and casting sand which begins plugging up and scaling the oil cooler. The EGR is just a bad design and is prone to failure.

I Bulletproofed mine and installed the ARP head studs when mine began to show symptoms. Added the coolant filter and took it all over the country without so much as a hiccup.

Find out if the current owner has updated these items. If not, you might be able to negotiate the price of replacing these items down the road off his asking price. That's about the mileage mine began to become ill.

Remember... Ford produced thousands of these trucks. You only hear the bad. Plenty are living long life's. The key is to understand what you're working with to prepare for any possible challenges. Hang out in the 6.0 forum and be a sponge. A wise man once told me that "preparation will make up for a lack of talent!"
Found out it had the EGR update, he's down at the shop talking to the mechanics that took care of it for the owner. Sounds like I might just be over thinking it.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by lefty319
Found out it had the EGR update, he's down at the shop talking to the mechanics that took care of it for the owner. Sounds like I might just be over thinking it.
Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff.

Good luck. They can be great trucks.