Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
300 MPG

I hope this is okay here Tim. I just had to share it
Hope the link works.

VOLKSWAGEN?S NEW 300 MPG CAR NOT ALLOWED IN AMERICA BECAUSE IT IS TOO EFFICIENT | World Truth.TV

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

A quick review of the stories listed on their home page, and I'd be as willing to trust World Truth TV as much as I would a used car salesman with white pants, alligator boots, and a bad comb-over. Their site seems to feature all the drivel that makes conspiracy theory followers drool.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
this is a false article.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:56 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
And there we have it.
If Tom said it than it is true.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
come on Rich, you know better than to trust me.

i was running a little late this morning when i saw this thread and did not follow up my comment like i did in the other thread.
this is what i posted in the other thread:

i read about this a while ago. but everyone knows it has to be true, because it was posted on the internet.
there are only 200 being made, with a cost somewhere near $150,000
it is a diesel hybrid car.
also, the best mileage recorded to date was only 128 mpg, and that was achieved by using the batteries until they were almost dead.
so in reality, the diesel engine only gets around 50 MPG, the same as a properly tuned legal for US use VW diesel car

Old 10-24-2014, 03:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Well yer prolly right Tom. Short of calling
VW in Germany we don't have much to on.
But sounds good anyway.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:13 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i believe it is listed on scopes or whatever that internet fact checker site is called.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IIRR, it was a while ago now but, VW invested a chunk of change in this car to "market/Prove" it's engineering capabilities.....it failed miserably...couldn't meet most country's emissions, they had to request exemptions to sell it in the "home" country of mfg and the MPG was not even close to what other less expensive high mpger's were getting. Sand to say, IMHO, typical VW.....and QA issues that range from great to "you have to be kidding me".

Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
it will meat all US emissions standards, it is a diesel engine that is currently in use.the only reason it will never be seen here is because of the limited availability, and the price. .

Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO

Nobody gives a crap about a super high MPG vehicle, if it's built with bicycle wheels and substandard to even the room of a golf cart.

Cars like the volkswagen diesel car people talk like it's an amazing feat of engineering, but in reality, the gas version also gets great fuel economy.
It's not the powertrain is so advanced, just a lot less car.

Don't even waste time engineering tiny have not high mpg vehicles, there is almost zero places to use them.

Squeezing an extra mpg or 2 from a 1/2 ton or 1 ton is going to be greener than creating a 300 mpg tiny car that nobody will buy.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:13 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If VW had some industry upending tech it would be selling it so VW investors could become wealthy. Their boutique result is cool engineering though.

Website in first post is clickbait (and since this is a family forum I'll have to spare it and its creators a harsher description they deserve).

Link below may help. I shortened it using a link shortener and it is safe:

VW

Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bennngeeee
Idk haven't you ever seen Gashole. 100 mpg carb on a 1946 Buick Roadmaster. Shell bought the technology and then scrapped it.
Yes, and as everybody knows once somebody scraps an idea, that's the end of it. Whew!

Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Yes, and as everybody knows once somebody scraps an idea, that's the end of it. Whew!
Not quite....they own the patton and if they keep the paperwork up like GM did with the Pogue Carburator, they own it for at least 20 years. Lets also look at the EV1 & EV2......these cars were built with existing technology from Hughes Aircraft Company which was purchased by General Motors Corporation. Even with the new battery technology that would bring the range to that of many gas powered cars, Toyota Partnered with GM and provided staff (who in essence became "make believe" residents) at many local community hearings, specific to the use of federal/state funds to create charging stations...with incredible marketing finesse, they presented "evidence as citizens of the communities" that the use of the funds was "illegal" and it would create unnecessary hazards to the local communities. Combined with the GM specific "existing & potential future customer surveys" for the cars, even the paid staff later (upon position vacating), discussed openly with the media the exact questions, how they were phrased and the specific "Tone of Voice" that was to be used to create the most negative connotation. In a follow-on grand jury investigation (which is published on the net), all of this (community wise) was found to be validated- and the evidence of the potential illegal use of funds, this falsification was created/promulgated by and with the support of Toyota & GM. And remember, it was a partnership with GM, Standard Oil of California and Firestone who partnered to "Kill" the Los Angeles "Red Car System" for the purpose of selling more buses, fuel and tires......another very well documented piece of history.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Yes quite. Let's leave the science of fuel/air ratios and BTU out for the moment

Do you honestly believe the Japanese, Germans, Brits, Russians, Brazilians, Chinese, whoever et.al. give a rip about a patent, particularly during the periodic all out world wars over oil supplies?

Because that's what it comes down to. Particularly aviation, where stretching fuel as far as possible was the focus of much research involving methanol and water injection. You can bet if a 100 mpg were possible there would be no stopping it, no way no how.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Owning a US patent means nothing in countries which do not recognize US patent law.

Patents are public record. Got one you like? Enter the number in a search engine then download that patent.

"Hurr, durr, dey bought da patent" means jack since it is also possible to clean-room reverse engineer the process to come up with an unpatented result. Compaq did that with the IBM BIOS which is why we have our cheap x86 PC computer ecosystem.

You can determine what is done to a fuel/air mixture by a device and what the resulting properties of that mixture are in a research setting. Then you can specify that result as a goal without specifying how that goal is to be attained. Hand goal to scientists and engineers to develop a clean process.

The Right to Reverse Engineer

One of the results of the PCs open design was that it was easy to copy and so producing clones was much easier than it was for other competing systems. The production of clones would have quickly cut into IBM’s profit margin and undermined its position as the rising leader in the home computing market. The only piece of technology that was pure IBM was the PC’s BIOS. The BIOS – Basic Input Output System – controlled basic hardware functions and decided which peripherals sent and recieved data from the processor. This code was proprietary and copyrighted. Although it would not have been technologically challenging for a competitor to produce an identically working BIOS, this was made very hard by the fact that the entire code was published in the PC Technical Manual {techman}. Thus anyone producing a compatible BIOS would have a difficult time proving that their engineers had not at some point seen some of IBM’s proprietary code. This in turn made it easy for IBM to limit competition by purely legal means.

It was Compaq Computer Corporation that would finally be able to produce a compatible BIOS chip. It took a full time team of 15 senior engineers a year’s time and over a million dollars to produce a working chip. The first 100% IBM compatible machines began shipping in November 1985. Compaq avoided lawsuits by having their engineers sign affidavits prior to beginning work stating that they had not seen the IBM source code. Phoenix technologies would repeat this feat in much the same way a few months later. But instead of building IBM clones they sold compatible BIOS chips to other manufacturers, opening up the PC market to smaller competitors. The final end of IBM’s dominance came in 1985 when a small company called Chips and Technologies designed and sold a set of five chips for $72 that duplicated the functionality of 63 chips in the IBM PC. Suddenly small manufacturers could build computers that were smaller, cheaper, more reliable and even faster than a real IBM. By the late 1980s the only major non-PC machines were special multimedia computers and by 1995 even these had almost disappeared {accemp}.

The final effect of reverse engineering IBM’s BIOS and then making clones easily avilable was to essentially level the playing field. The demise of closed, proprietary hardware configurations meant that the computer industry could standardize around a common platform. Software manufacturers could now focus on improving the software itself rather than worrying about cross platform compatibility. The timing of the reverse engineering (barely a year after the original product launch) meant that IBM could not properly establish itself as a monopoly. Had IBM gained a monopoly advantage, it would have given them control of the emerging home computer industry allowing them to artificially limit computing power to serve their business interests. IBM was known to deliberately limit performance in its low-end business models in order to prevent them from “cannibalizing” profits from higher-end models {blue}. The fact that the raw computing power available in all the IBM PC models from 1981 to 1984 was the same (despite Moore’s Law) shows how IBM could artificially limit its products to the detriment of consumers.
Anything you can do to a fuel-air mixture with a carburetor you can do more precisely with variations of fuel injection systems. Given that a mileage breakthrough would be worth billions of dollars if all that were standing in the way was a mere patent that patent would have been outflanked promptly. Many rumors of special carbs date back to the dark pre-internet times when it was easy to shovel verbal guano by newsletter or magazine to a much more gullible audience. Not many hot-rodders or vehicle hobbyists were interested in science. That's changed drastically for the better, most of the time. Skepticism isn't negativism. Science demands evidence. Testable proofs are evidence. Rumors, faith, emotional appeal and sales pitches are not evidence.

Science and engineering are why we have motor vehicles in the first place. Everyone on this board has more information at their fingertips than any previous generation. I suggest using it.

Quick Reply: 300 MPG