1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low tire preasure

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low tire preasure

2014 f250- tires call for 75 fronts, 80 rears. I have been running 60 in all four corners for 6 of the 7 months I have owned the truck. Just turned 8000 miles and yesterday morning the low tire preasure light came on. Checked tires and all good. What might be happening? Thanks.Dave

Old 10-23-2014, 05:00 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
the TPMS thinks the pressure is too low....you need to have Ford reset the TMPS for the lower pressure you are wanting to run in your tires...

Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Why did it wait 6 months to tell me this? Have had 60lbs in the tires for 7000 miles.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm not sure what the threshold is or the accuracy of the settings, but you were probably right at the limit for the low tire alarm. All tires will lose air pressure very slowly, and you probably slipped below the point where the light would come on.

Your dealer has the capacity to change the setting, but they most likely won't do so for fear of liability. But it's worth a try!

Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You did it six months ago, so with the warmer temps it was just above the sensors limit, but now the cold air comes in and thats why it took six months, your out in Ohio. I know you had a couple cold snaps no? so that lowered the pressure enough to trigger the sensors, you could just put acouple extra pounds in to make up for the cold temps, I dont think the dealer will take that liability, they want what the truck calls for, everyone is sue happy and if you were to have a blow out or God forbid an accident and your lawyer new ford lowered your tpms settings it would not be good for them. They will sell you a softer tire first. Something made of pudding, that your not going to be happy with. Just squeeze a couple more pounds in.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:28 AM
redford
Received 1,559 Likes on 908 Posts
From Blame the Weather for the Tire Pressure Light Coming On

In the fall, the colder weather will significantly lower your tire pressure. If your tire pressure has been set during the hot summer months, the first major cold wave will cause the air to contract inside your tire, lowering the pressure, thus setting off your TPMS.
The TPMS alarm is more prone to go off if one of your tires is already slightly underinflated. In addition, cars that sit outside all night will be affected more by the colder weather than those kept in a garage.
To alleviate that annoying tire light, check your tire pressure monthly, during the morning, when tires are cold. During this time, make sure all tires are at the PSI indicated in your manual.
As you drive your car, friction causes the tires to heat up, increasing the pressure within the tire. Checking the tire pressure after you have been driving around may give inaccurate, misleadingly high pressure readings.
Most tires can handle higher pressures resulting from driving and in hot weather, provided they were set at the "correct" pressure when cold.
If your TPMS light comes on, immediately check your tire inflation, or have a dealer check it for you.
Running on underinflated tires will negatively affect gas mileage and will substantially increase tire wear, as well as resulting in poor, dangerous handling.
Increased friction created while driving on underinflated tires will cause tires to overheat and increase the risk of a blowout.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:57 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Bump your air pressure up to 65psi. Do it in the morning when it's the coolest.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
Jumpin in here.. I have a 2015, with the the A/S(s). On the inside of my door, it recommends my fronts to be 65psi, and 80 in the back. The tires say 80 on them. When I first picked it up, they had fronts at 61, and backs around 71. I like the tighter feel, but past the pressures they set it to, I think I start to see the middle area of the treads stick up higher than the edges, which is bad for wear/traction, should be flat to the ground as possible, right?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:59 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MadWolf
Jumpin in here.. I have a 2015, with the the A/S(s). On the inside of my door, it recommends my fronts to be 65psi, and 80 in the back. The tires say 80 on them. When I first picked it up, they had fronts at 61, and backs around 71. I like the tighter feel, but past the pressures they set it to, I think I start to see the middle area of the treads stick up higher than the edges, which is bad for wear/traction, should be flat to the ground as possible, right?

Your fronts need to be at the 65psi. The rears can be dropped in pressure to about 65 psi. Any lower and on a cold morning you'll get a TPMS light.

Here's an idea.

Air up your tires to the recommended pressure. Drive to a stretch of road about 3-5 miles long. Stop and rub the tread of the tires with chalk. About 12 inches worth. Drive the length of your straight stretch of roadway, then pull over and check the chalk.

If the chalk is all gone, your pressure is good. If the chalk is gone from the center rib of the tread, but remaining on the outside treads, lower your pressure 5 psi and make another run, adjusting the pressure until you get an even contact patch.

Warning. You can spend way to much time doing this. . But it will put you in the ballpark without having to use individual scales to weigh the vehicle.

Or you can just drop the rear tires to 65psi when unloaded.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Truck is garage kept,and we have had colder temps than yesterday and today. I droped the psi in late march. All four corners were set at 60psi and when the light came on I checked all tires. 2 were a 60 one at 59.5 and on at 59. I will add air in the morning and see if it goes out. Thanks for the input guys. I`ll let you know what happened.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Yesterday morning I aired up tires as ford wanted them. Drove 15 minutes to the job and light was still on.Left work and light was still on. five minutes down the road light went out....fixed for now...Thanks

Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
It typically takes a few tire revolutions to get the system to read pressure, so that's normal. I had the low pressure light on my '11 come on once and it took a couple of miles to turn off.