2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Monte's 07 Expedition Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Small update, i had the original battery in the Expy apparently so it was going on 8 years and running strong however the -5* weather yesterday almost killed it and the car wouldn't start without cutting power to everything including the headlights first.

After going back and forth with some fellow members i ended up with an Advance Auto gold battery. Not sure how common it is with old batteries but the corrosion on my positive terminal was nasty and it too me an hour to change the battery out.

Pics:

This is after all the prying and everything with multiple tools, i actually pulled the post out becasue the corrosion chemically welded the post to the terminal.

I never took after pictures but some good old baking soda and water and the terminals looked new again because it ate all the corrosion off.

I also got some new brakes in since my last post, i dont know why for uses 9mm and 7mm but i could only get one done and then decided to have them put in becasue after bending a few lugs and not being able to remove the rims on the rear wheels i just decided it was worth the $200 to have them done. I got new lugs and had the tire shop clean the rims inner surfaces to prevent them from getting stuck as fast again but it came down to the time i had and the weather schedule so in my eyes $200 wasn't a bad deal.

Future plans now is possibly a battery tender and a few heating pads to heat the oil and transmission pans with an underhood switch panel to disable them and only run the battery tender in the summer if she is going to sit for a while. It will cut down on wear and tear because the engine will not have to idle cold for so long, it takes roughly 10 minutes for the engine to even start to warm up so if i can speed that up or do it though a block heater or similar i might. I did some research and i can install all these things for under $150 and have a block heater, transmission pan and oil pan heater and have a switch panel for them to be disabled in the summer to run a battery tender only.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How does she start with a fresh battery?

Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that corrosion is worse then the expedition we use to have and it had a few shorts in the system.

How do you like the drilled rotors? I want to do a set on a couple of the vehicles but I have heard mixed reviews on them.
Trav

Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Turns over and runs like a dream! the old battery was fine but the sub zero weather yesterday really killed it she was cutting power to everything but the starter every time.

Yeah trav it was a nightmare its been like that for years and i kept bringing it up to my parents, had i known i was going to eventually get it i would have done something years ago lol.

I like them the brakes were toast when i got it so i don't really have anything to compare to before since i didn't have the original brake new. She stops ona dime now though compared to before, they are drilled/slotted rotors made by powerstop i was going to go all out but my dad got the same kit on his dodge and they were awesome so i went back and got myself the same kit from autoanyhting.com

Old 01-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Next brake job we do on the 02 maybe we will have to go for those.
Trav

Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Lol true, do you find the ride bouncy at all? I'm curious if i need to drop money on the expensive air bag struts or just make some mounts for the bags and run straight bags on it.

EDIT: definitely need shocks as well just did a quick google and that confirmed it lol.
Are you looking for self leveling or are you looking to drop the whip?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:10 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I was going to have a controller or switches and inflatw or deflate it myself. I am on the fence though because it rides great as is now.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Been a little while, no new mods for the expy yet but i had the windshield replaced about a month ago and the mirror shakes now and it drives me nuts. It is too late to have the company come back and to be honest i dont have the time now that i am in school to wait around all day for them to come and fix it so i was wondering if anyone has any ideas, it seems like it's the metal base that mounts to the piece thats glued to the windshield. I noticed that they also broke the compass thingy that hangs down below the mirror but it has not fallen off because it fits so snug so i was pissed but i am not anymore because it stays on fine still.

Also a minor update in my mod list is that i am planning on removing the rear middle seat and replacing it with a center console to make 2nd row bucket seats, i notices my rear bumper has a crack in it either from someone bumping me in a parking spot or me backing into one with all this snow so i may go for the body kit i posted in my first post. I saw an expy near me dive by with one and really liked the look of it. I am also going to leave the suspension alone and leave the height as is. Call me crazy but i am planning these mods out for kids...i know strange but i was thinking long term and my fiance may end up getting the expy in a few years after we get married and we may sell her car and i will have my 95 for winter, the 04 for summer and that's it which i am ok with personally. Also my thought behind this is i would rather not fold myself inhalf to go on family trips and get into somethign like the expedition instead lol also like my parents we alsway shad the issue of having myself my dad (6'2") and my brother (6'3") as well as my mom who is 5'10" trying to fit into smaller crossovers and SUVs lol it never worked and ultimatley we ended up with the expedition so if for some reason my kids are cursed with being over 6' then we will be fine lol. My new plan is to make it more of a family hauler since i have two trucks one...toy and one beater essentially lol. I am going to do a few mods to the interior and exterior as well as some winter mods to keep everything lasting for a long time as best i can and the winter ones will likely happen on the 95 as well.

Here are my new lists:

Interior
-Heated front seats (front seats are torn so might as well while replacing leather)
-DVD player headrests
-Aftermarket Kenwood Nav headunit
-Kicker
-rear navigator console
-husky liner cargo liner behind 3rd row
-EDGE CTS for gauge monitoring (transmission etc that is not on the dash)

Exterior
-20" Rockstar matte black w/ machined face rims
-stock diameter bfg at tires
-3d carbon body kit
-2x 6" LED spot lights behind grille
-power running boards
-LED tail lights
-helwig sway bars

Winter
-Battery blanket
-tranny pan heater
-oil pan heater
-block heater
-waterproof mounted outlet in lower bumper opening

Engine/Performace
-new plugs (getting the bad "transmission" stutter)
-supercharge/turbo maybe?
-headers
-exhaust
-5 star tuner (mainly for better throttle response)

More recent pic from about a month ago as well lol:

Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Supercharge it not turbo it. Personally on the 10 F150 5.4L I want to run a supercharger.
Eldelbrock sells a supercharger for these. Not sure who else has it.
Trav

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Supercharge it not turbo it. Personally on the 10 F150 5.4L I want to run a supercharger.
Eldelbrock sells a supercharger for these. Not sure who else has it.
Trav
i was mainly leaning towards supercharging it unless someone really convinced me otherwise lol. Those are so expensive though they are like 5k for the kit!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ya but almost 420ish horsepower and I forget what for torque it would be a ton of fun.

Otherwise I think it would get really technical trying to build up the 5.4L with cams and such. Plus that cams aren't cheap either.
Trav

Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Yeah, i thought about a 4bt or 6bt once the engine goes lol but there is little support for that kind of swap into an SUV and also the electronics on the expedition are far more...plentiful then the 04 lol.

This is long off anyway first i want a tune to get better throttle response out of her instead of waiting 2 seconds for it to react lol

Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ya a tuner is needed big time for these.
However mine isn't really as sluggish when leaning into the throttle fast as some.

However that might be me still getting use to a 5.4L from the V10 in a SD.
Trav

Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Could be, i thought i read that ford is doing really well with the newer drive by wire systems, 07 is the first year of the 3v in the Expy's so everything else was cable driven which could be why mine is a little sluggish if its an earlier one they might have done tuning since then.

Does ford do free PCM updates? when i have the plugs done because i dont want to tackle that beast of a job if one breaks i could have them do that too.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
That is possible. The V10 off the line when I gunned it was a little sluggish but this 5.4L it is right their when you hit maybe a little off.

I don't think the 10 has any tunes on it right now. We hope to get a SCT 5star tuner after running boards and wheels.

I am not sure if Ford does free PCM updates on my 10 they did the latest PCM update before I got the truck.
Trav

Quick Reply: Monte's 07 Expedition Build Thread