6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Front End Squeak Noise When Moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
Mine does a "kwirp-kwirp" sound in the mornings. Seems to be about the frequency of the driveshaft rotation. I'm at 15k now and it's done it since new.
Have you ever mentioned the sound to your dealer, Lastwagen? If not, I'd recommend that as a next step. I can help out by looping in your regional customer service manager. If that's something you'd be interested in, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 11-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordService
Have you ever mentioned the sound to your dealer, Lastwagen? If not, I'd recommend that as a next step. I can help out by looping in your regional customer service manager. If that's something you'd be interested in, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. I know the Service Manager here at Griffith Ford and I don't mind just taking it in. It's something that hasn't worried me too much. I replied to the OP because I thought the "squeaks" might be similar.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
Thanks Crystal. I know the Service Manager here at Griffith Ford and I don't mind just taking it in. It's something that hasn't worried me too much. I replied to the OP because I thought the "squeaks" might be similar.
Thanks for looking out for the other folks on the forum, Lastwagen! If you need any help in the future, I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 11-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Vrybusy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's it! Sounds like the same thing mine was doing. They just greased some seal (I think it was a drive shaft seal, but not completely sure) and it took care of it. The dealers know about it.

QUOTE=Lastwagen;15760477]Mine does a "kwirp-kwirp" sound in the mornings. Seems to be about the frequency of the driveshaft rotation. I'm at 15k now and it's done it since new.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-04-2015, 01:35 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Good information. After recently buying my 2014 F350, I heard the same kind of sound at slow speeds a couple times as I passed through the gate to the USCG base I work on. I was thinking hub, knuckle, or u-joints on front drive shaft. I had a nagging thought that made me check the position of the hub selection, and low-and-behold, the selling dealership left the hubs locked after performing the 172 point Ford Certified Pre-Owned checks. Then I drove it about 500 miles on dry pavement afterwards.

Local dealer (not selling dealer) will conduct a check next week to make sure hubs and the rest are in good shape, but I will also mention lubing the transfer case seal & the bulletin.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
...Local dealer (not selling dealer) will conduct a check next week to make sure hubs and the rest are in good shape, but I will also mention lubing the transfer case seal & the bulletin.
I'm happy to see that you'll be visiting the dealer soon, KodiakF250. Additionally, I'll check out some ways to help. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal

Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm happy to see that you'll be visiting the dealer soon, KodiakF250. Additionally, I'll check out some ways to help. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal
Thank you Crystal. I just passed 14k on the odo. FYI, I am also asking them to identify and cure excessive wind noise coming from the windshield. Once I hit 45mph the noise kicks in, and by the time I get to 55, it sounds like I'm bucking a 50mph head wind. I've read this is not an uncommon problem found by others unfortunately, and it's often related to improper sealing of the windshield or a molding problem.

Sorry for the highjack OP.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
Thank you Crystal. I just passed 14k on the odo. FYI, I am also asking them to identify and cure excessive wind noise coming from the windshield. Once I hit 45mph the noise kicks in, and by the time I get to 55, it sounds like I'm bucking a 50mph head wind. I've read this is not an uncommon problem found by others unfortunately, and it's often related to improper sealing of the windshield or a molding problem...
I'm sure you'll be in great hands at your dealership, KodiakF250. If you need my help after receiving a diagnosis, PM over your details; I'll get to work. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 AM
dmdusn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I was the only one that had this. Only hear it at real slow speeds, like less than 5mph. Truck is at the dealer this morning for an oil change and I told them to take a look at it. Hopefully they find the culprit.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:12 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by dmdusn
I thought I was the only one that had this. Only hear it at real slow speeds, like less than 5mph. Truck is at the dealer this morning for an oil change and I told them to take a look at it. Hopefully they find the culprit.
Have you heard from your dealership yet, dmdusn? How many miles are on the truck currently? I'll be here if you need my assistance.

Crystal

Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Amelio
Senior User
This is the exact noise I have on my '15 and I also had it on my '12. on My 2012 I actually saw that the tail shaft seal was dry rotted, had the dealer replace it and fixed. My 2015 started to do the same, its most prevalent early in the morning when its colder....when I had it in for service I told the writer to inspect and tail shaft seal. He said the tech said it looked fine but I don't trust it since it was most likely a $15 hour lube tech that left oily hand print smudges on my grill and door panel. I don't have time to drop the truck off again for this just to inspect. I will crawl under the truck and lube it up if its not dry rotted. If it is then I will have to bring it in to replace the seal.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Amelio
...I will crawl under the truck and lube it up if its not dry rotted. If it is then I will have to bring it in to replace the seal.
Be sure to tell us what you find, Amelio. You know how to reach me if you need my assistance.

Crystal

Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 PM
dmdusn
New User
Have you heard from your dealership yet, dmdusn? How many miles are on the truck currently? I'll be here if you need my assistance.

Crystal
15,000 miles. They found the squeak but wanted to keep it overnight to tear it apart. I rescheduled it for Monday because I can't be without the truck this weekend.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:44 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by dmdusn
15,000 miles. They found the squeak but wanted to keep it overnight to tear it apart. I rescheduled it for Monday because I can't be without the truck this weekend.
Send over your info in a PM, dmdusn; I'll get this escalated to your regional customer service manager (CSM). When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Your CSM will call both you and your dealer to ensure things go smoothly.

Crystal

Old 11-08-2015, 04:13 PM
ncboat
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Crystal I wasn't ignoring your offer I have been out of pocket. You all have described my problem to a T. Now with the weather getting wet is really prevalent. I any one gets the correct bulleting number and or what grease they are using it would be great. I cant get mine in for a while and when I talked to the dealer they could not find any reference in their search. I just turned 14k and it has been with me since new also.

Quick Reply: Front End Squeak Noise When Moving