6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Goodbye 6.0, hello 6.7

Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye 6.0, hello 6.7

I've been a member for a bit but mostly observed/lurked around the 6.0 area.

I loved my 6.0 but fell in love with the 2015's so I took the plunge.

I recently sold my Bulletproofed 2004 CC SRW 4x4 6.0 XLT. I replaced it with a 2015 CC DRW 4x4 FX4 Lariat 6.7 with the white platinum tri coat and 3.73 limited slip. The truck is beautiful seems to be equipped well for towing our 40' 5er.

It's been a bit of a nerve racking experience only because I knew every single rattle, tone, and all around feel of my 04. It really needed driver input to work. I didn't realize how much a literally had to "drive" my 04 until I drove my 15. The 6.7 seems so smooth and effortless that maybe i'm a bit shell shocked by how tame it is . It drives itself with very little assistance from me.

The things I'm not excited about really comes down to the EPA issues and how they relate to the Regen and DEF set ups these trucks have. I live in Southern Commiefornia and doubled down with the Platinum Warranty. These two things may restrict my ability to delete . I'm struggling to wrap my head around the long term reliability of this system. I'm of the mind set that warranty or not, I hope to never use it. Much like auto insurance. I'll pay for it but hope to not have to excersize it's purpose. None of the other two brand vehicles are without the same challenges.

So far, I can only get around 12 mpg empty with an egg under my right foot. I checked to make sure the hubs are in auto. I heard the sway control can contribute to less than desirable fuel mileage and defaults to the on position. Not sure if that is the same as traction control or is sway control located elsewhere? Truck is about to turn it's first thousand miles. I'm not sure if this mileage is typical or to be expected. I'm going to assume it will drop considerably towing my 15,000 lb. 5er. I've been following the break-in instructions to a "T." Hopefully the fuel mileage will improve the closer it gets to the 10,000 mile mark.

This truck will live most of its life as the 5er hauler. We camp all year round and minumum of at least once a month. Most months its twice. With two kids, ages 11 and 5, it seems the camping deal is a better trade off than Disneyland. Even with the cost of the truck and trailer I'm pretty sure its cheaper too lol.

Sorry for the long rambling post but I hope to be much more involved in this area of FTE, both in learning and eventually helping. Figure a little background story never hurts.

I've read just about every thread here and still find myself with redundant questions. Any tips for a 6.7 newbie? Quircks or otherwise I should know early into my experience? Tips or suggestions that all new 6.7 owners should know? Any help on tips/tricks to eventually work towards an improvement in mileage? I'm not too concerned about it but would like to get it closer to 15-17. Struggling with how it can improve that much but I'm hopeful.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
That's a nice upgrade. As far as things to know, if you run across something, just ask. There is so much these trucks do, it's hard to keep up.

One I can think of, if you change your own oil, the 13 quarts wants to leave the pan all at once. It takes one change to understand how to do it the next time.

You are correct on the warranty concern. If you want to keep it, you need to leave the truck alone, in my opinion.
For the emissions, your truck sounds like it will have the ideal conditions. Towing means higher temps and that will keep the DPF healthy.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by kper05
That's a nice upgrade. As far as things to know, if you run across something, just ask. There is so much these trucks do, it's hard to keep up.

One I can think of, if you change your own oil, the 13 quarts wants to leave the pan all at once. It takes one change to understand how to do it the next time.

You are correct on the warranty concern. If you want to keep it, you need to leave the truck alone, in my opinion.
For the emissions, your truck sounds like it will have the ideal conditions. Towing means higher temps and that will keep the DPF healthy.
The oil change deal sounds fun, I can't wait

I've only had one regen in the first thousand miles. Not sure what should be considered normal. I'm sure every scenario is different depending on the driving habits.

I appreciate the thoughts on the delete issue. I have every intention of keeping it stock for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. I hope to have this one as long as I did my 04.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. We needs pics please!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:23 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I made a very similar post a few days ago( 2015 super duty first impression.)
My new one is a srw f250 with the 3.31 locking rearend. I am still working on my first tank of fuel and going to compare mileage to others who post accurate readings and see if improves as it breaks in and what it does when i am pulling a trailer. Since mine is still brand new, i am also driving with the egg technique...
keep us posted and congrats on the new truck.
i was one of the few who liked the 6.0 ( well most of the time i liked it..lol

Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Congrats on the new truck. We needs pics please!
Let me see if I can do this right...

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
You did it right. Sweet ride!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,940 Likes on 2,184 Posts
Congrats on the new 6.7! Any pics of the 6.0L? We like those too...especially ones that are well taken care of.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
You did it right. Sweet ride!
Thank You for the kind words!

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Congrats on the new 6.7! Any pics of the 6.0L? We like those too...especially ones that are well taken care of.
This is one of the best pictures I could find

Just kidding. Honestly, I loved my 6.0. It never let us down and we took it all over this country on vacations. I bought it brand new and did all the mods to make it dependable before they became an issue. It never let us down and it was sad to see it drive off with it's new owner. Didn't think we could be so attached to it. I hope it gives the new owner many years of trouble free fun.

I never really took very many pictures of it

Here are a couple with our campers.

Grand Teton's last summer...

And with the 5er....

Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,940 Likes on 2,184 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is awesome I probably have more pics of the Cab lifted on my old 6.0 then I did normal pics haha. I did love that truck whenever it moved under its own power. I put 340,000 miles on it. You'll love the 6.7 I've had 2 of em and they have both performed very well. My main problem is wanting to drive it too much. I just bought a Volkswagen Golf TDI to keep the miles off my truck but sometimes its hard to stick with the program. Good luck with your new truck and welcome to the 6.7 Forum Good guys over here.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM
JandC
Junior User
Congrats on the new 6.7 dually. The second generation 6.7 has really got my mouth watering but I guess I will settle for 400 HP to pull my FW. You will love that truck.

Not sure what weight you are pulling but at over 40,000 miles and dragging just under 16,000 pounds I average around 12mpg.

Running empty I am finally getting 17-18 mpg highway. I didn't see those numbers on running empty until well after 30,000 miles.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by strokin83
That is awesome I probably have more pics of the Cab lifted on my old 6.0 then I did normal pics haha. I did love that truck whenever it moved under its own power. I put 340,000 miles on it. You'll love the 6.7 I've had 2 of em and they have both performed very well. My main problem is wanting to drive it too much. I just bought a Volkswagen Golf TDI to keep the miles off my truck but sometimes its hard to stick with the program. Good luck with your new truck and welcome to the 6.7 Forum Good guys over here.
We're a family of oil lovers lol. Wife has a Hemi Jeep that gets horrible fuel mileage and my daily driver is a 2013 1/2 ton CC Chevy that I average 30k-35k miles a year on.

Thinking about picking up a TDI VW for the wife to drag the kids around to school and sports. Have heard a lot of positives on them.

When I Bulletproofed my 6.0 I pulled everything through the front. No access to a lift to take the cab off so next best thing was through the front. Being it was strictly a tow vehicle it only had 91k scenic miles on it when it left my home.

I swear these trucks become apart of you. It was like putting my dog down when I let it go.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by JandC
Congrats on the new 6.7 dually. The second generation 6.7 has really got my mouth watering but I guess I will settle for 400 HP to pull my FW. You will love that truck. Not sure what weight you are pulling but at over 40,000 miles and dragging just under 16,000 pounds I average around 12mpg. Running empty I am finally getting 17-18 mpg highway. I didn't see those numbers on running empty until well after 30,000 miles.
I'm right at 15,000 lbs on the 5er. That's very encouraging on the fuel mileage. I'll be doing backflips of joy if I can get to that point.

Obviously fuel mileage isn't why we buy these vehicles. Kind of hard to cry about fuel mileage and mention 440 horse 860 tq in the same sentence, but I do hope to get the best possible mileage I can.

Thank You for sharing your experience with the 6.7. I'm encouraged to say the least.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Nice looking truck!!! Congratulations....

Based on another thread, might want to check your hub caps. Evidently, they fall off when driving or when the wind blows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodbye 6.0, hello 6.7