1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Becoming a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<<<@!1!@>>>

Try this in one of our solid steering column slicks and guess where the column would end up...

Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964FORDTUF
<<<@!1!@>>>

Try this in one of our solid steering column slicks and guess where the column would end up...

2006 Ford F-250/F-350 IIHS-Style Frontal Offset (40 Mp/h) - YouTube
Can I borrow your truck?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:41 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
For those who STILL don't get my point with the steering column, watch the entire video and keep your eye on the steering column. Its why they stopped making them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U#t=82

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM
TBird Larry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what it is with us "old guys" is we were driving these vehicles since the 60's when they didn't have all the modern distractions in cars nowadays. I was used to driving the vehicles and didn't have a thought about something called an sir bag or a crush zone.

Back then you just had to watch out for idiots (like we still do) and try to avoid them. Back in 1979 I purchased a new Old's Toronado with front wheel drive and a super long hood. Two weeks later some lady fell asleep at the wheel and hit me head on at about 45 MPH. Although it was serious crash I had all my restraints on and I still suffered injuries, not from the head on but the side impact when both large cars smashed the sides together. My head went through the drivers side window and injured my left side badly. I was messed up for more than 2 months after that. When I reviewed the photos from the insurance company the hood was bent into a perfect "A Frame" while the engine and components were smashed against the firewall but never entered the passenger compartment. There was no glass that wasn't broken or a panel that wasn't bent. The lady that hit me was driving an equivalent size 4 door Buick.

I guess that was Old's engineering at it's finest. If I would have been driving a smaller car like a Mustang I don't think I would have survived. My replacement car was a new Thunderbird which I drove for many years then sold it to a friend.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:09 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Originally Posted by TBird Larry
I think what it is with us "old guys" is we were driving these vehicles since the 60's when they didn't have all the modern distractions in cars nowadays. I was used to driving the vehicles and didn't have a thought about something called an sir bag or a crush zone.

Back then you just had to watch out for idiots (like we still do) and try to avoid them. Back in 1979 I purchased a new Old's Toronado with front wheel drive and a super long hood. Two weeks later some lady fell asleep at the wheel and hit me head on at about 45 MPH. Although it was serious crash I had all my restraints on and I still suffered injuries, not from the head on but the side impact when both large cars smashed the sides together. My head went through the drivers side window and injured my left side badly. I was messed up for more than 2 months after that. When I reviewed the photos from the insurance company the hood was bent into a perfect "A Frame" while the engine and components were smashed against the firewall but never entered the passenger compartment. There was no glass that wasn't broken or a panel that wasn't bent. The lady that hit me was driving an equivalent size 4 door Buick.

I guess that was Old's engineering at it's finest. If I would have been driving a smaller car like a Mustang I don't think I would have survived. My replacement car was a new Thunderbird which I drove for many years then sold it to a friend.
Add to that the amount of drivers and cars on the road today vs the 60's and 70's means that many more idiots texting and talking on cell phones (that us "old guys") didn't have back then. There are so many more vehicles and people on the road today compared to then its insane. Anyway my whole point was about safety upgrades to make the older trucks and cars even more practical to drive on todays roads, but somehow it got spun into me being called stupid for posting my opinion based on my experiences. Ah well....to each his own at the end of the day.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
For those who STILL don't get my point with the steering column, watch the entire video and keep your eye on the steering column. Its why they stopped making them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U#t=82
Why dont you give us a solution and step by step instructions to how a something safer can be installed

Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 AM
73super
New User
After reading posts #3 and post #4 "Why the hell should anyone drive one of these PERIOD!!" Regardless if it's a daily driver or an occasional driver accidents will happen.
So from what I'm reading those that own one should put the keys down, go inside and put your panties and skirt on. SHHHHEEEEZZZZ!!!

Ha! That's funny..

OK.. my 2 cents. Guys like us that drive old cars and trucks are far better drivers than the average ipod/iphone types who aren't paying attention on the road and have no idea what a standard shift is all about. That being said.. we know there are more risks and we don't have all the safety features of the newer vehicles.. and hopefully we keep that in mind when we're driving.. We do drive more defensively. Unfortunately things happen and you can cure stupid.. (referring back to those other drivers).. that being said.. would it keep me from driving a classic car on a daily basis? NO.. I have a true love of classic cars and will do what I can to make it safe as I can for a daily.. but you do take more risks driving a classic and it is what it is. I would still prefer to drive one daily.. it's a sickness I guess. Just for the record tho'.. I've had several classic cars in the past (currently working on a '47 DeSoto that I will use as a daily.. with upgrades).. and to this day (knock on wood).. I'm still here and haven't had any serious accidents (been driving for close to 40 years now).. I think part of that is because we pay attention on the road when others don't. Drive safe... but enjoy your classic!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 PM
TBird Larry
Senior User
Add to that the amount of drivers and cars on the road today vs the 60's and 70's means that many more idiots texting and talking on cell phones (that us "old guys") didn't have back then. There are so many more vehicles and people on the road today compared to then its insane. Anyway my whole point was about safety upgrades to make the older trucks and cars even more practical to drive on todays roads, but somehow it got spun into me being called stupid for posting my opinion based on my experiences. Ah well....to each his own at the end of the day.
Not a word you typed was stupid! It's that everyone has their own agenda and opinion of vehicle safety. I learned early on as a teenager hanging around my Dad & Uncle's trucking company in the 60's and going on many a trip with each and eventually earning my class A (now class 1) license. I learned how to drive effectively in traffic and doing it safely, always driving defensively. I was always taught as a professional driver to "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED & ALWAYS LEAVE YOUR SELF AN OUT & ALWAYS WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY" For 10 years I was head of the Safety and Training Dept. of a large county in California where I investigated accidents, taught defensive driving to Coach Operators (Bus Drivers) and made recommendations for safety procedures that effect operators and passengers.

You have to figure how many more vehicles are on the road nowadays compared to the 60's or 70's. Cars are from 2/3rd's to 1/2 the size of the tuna boats from back then. Now station wagons are now SUV's and mini vans so it would be safe to say there are about an average of 1.5 more cars in the same space that the tuna boats of the day used to occupy.

One thing in the in the 60's and 70's even with all the pot smoking hippies drugs are more prevalent today with a lot of meth and crack addicts driving around like crazy people on the highways.

IF EVERYONE DROVE SAFELY WE WOULDN'T NEED INSURANCE COMPANIES TRAFFIC COP'S OR TOW TRUCKS! LOL

WATCH OUT FOR THE CRAZIES, DRIVE SAFELY, KEEP THE GREASY SIDE DOWN & WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY......

Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
TBird Larry
Senior User
Originally Posted by My1964ford
Why dont you give us a solution and step by step instructions to how a something safer can be installed
My dad used to say "Jack up the radiator cap and drive a new truck under it" end quote!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
On Tuesday and Wednesday I had classic examples of why I don't use older cars as daily drivers. I leave my house Tuesday morning and drive 50 yards up the street to make a short left and wait at the light with two cars in front of me. The light turns green and the three of us start our right turns into the different lanes of this street depending on 680 north, south or Monument Blvd. Between the second car and me a truck blows right through the light between us and never made an attempt to even brake. Caught it out of the corner of my eye and held up although I was livid. Young driver of Concord Feed. When I got to my office I called the business and gave the manager a piece of my mind and to warn his driver never to do it again as I would haul him out and beat the crap out of him. You take a shot at my life then I get an equal shot at yours.

Wednesday, midday, I drive the truck around uneventfully. Then take the big Merc and take a 30 minute drive before heading home. The exit is three lanes turning left and I am in the outside lane. As I near the end of the turn a moron in the inside lane feels it is a good time to get over three lanes and does so right across the front of the Merc. At least that car has power discs. Had I'd been in the truck with plain drums I may not had been able to stop. The morons of today, many, make these sudden changes which you can do with a nimble and quickly stopping car. They are clueless as to the limitations of cars from the 60's.

Most of the time I can only drive the freeway and at night between 9-12. The biggest danger I face is on the city streets and freeway traffic so I avoid that.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I think a good compromise is to keep the truck a little ratty looking, and drive like a maniac. They'll stay outta yer way.

(Kidding!)

Old 11-01-2014, 09:55 AM
My1964ford
Senior User
"Loud pipes save lives" I know that's a motorcyle saying but I feel like it applies to our classic cars/trucks. If you vehicles loud then people tend to look because it's catching there attention so if they hear you and they can see you typically people will try to avoid hitting you mostly because they don't wanna pay the insurance deductible

Old 11-01-2014, 04:56 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Originally Posted by My1964ford
There are multiple posts throughout this forum that will help guide anyone wanting to upgrade to power brakes, power steering, 3 point seat belts, etc. etc. I will photo document what I do to my truck when I do it, and will be happy to share my fabrication and installation photos with anyone interested.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM
TexasTurkey
New User
If you're gonna build --DRIVE IT--otherwise just take a picture of the rear of one that's similar to what you want and have it blow-up real big and hang it on your garage door
I'm building a '66 F100 now and it will be driven--in the weeds,crown vic front and rear, A/C, V8 4-speed auto(Maybe even a Chevy)--and if gas keeps coming down I may start driving my last build--'76 Vega V8(ported heads, Lunati bracket-master II, double pumper, had a B&M turbo 350 and later a T-10, Olds rear with Henry's axles, full cage--100% street driven--

Old 07-21-2022, 03:21 PM
sam davenport
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TBird Larry
OK, lets go head on with one of those stupid little plastic rice burners, who will win? Will it be the plastic car with air bags or this genuine piece of Detroit Steel. I may have to be towed to the body shop, but not the morgue!

I'll take my big Ford truck any day.
until you hit another big truck that's even bigger!!

Quick Reply: Becoming a daily driver